How do I install FLUKA on Windows 10 using WSL and Ubuntu 20.04?

• Thread starter emilmammadzada
  • Start date
  • Tags
    installation
In summary, installing FLUKA on Windows 10 using Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) and Ubuntu 20.04 involves setting up WSL, installing Ubuntu 20.04, and then downloading and installing FLUKA through the Ubuntu terminal. It is important to ensure that WSL is enabled and that the proper dependencies are installed before attempting to install FLUKA. Once installed, FLUKA can be run through the Ubuntu terminal and can be used for simulations and analyses in a Windows 10 environment.
emilmammadzada
TL;DR Summary
Fluka installation problem
What path should I follow to install fluka2021.2-linux-gfor64bit-11.2-AA.tar.gz? I'm a Windows 10 user. I installed WSL I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 on wsl.I installed flair and it works. But the fluka does not work and I get an error related to the installation.
:~$ $FLUPRO/flutil/rfluka -h
$TARGET_MACHINE = Linux
$FLUPRO = /home/emil/fluka
Are you sure you downloaded the FLUKA data files?
Apparently the directory /home/emil/fluka/pwxs does not exist

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
So, one is using a Win10 machine with a Linux virtual environment (Windows Subsystem for Linux) under which one installed Fluka?

I have not done that in the past, but perhaps there is some useful information here
https://flukadocker.github.io/fluka_wsl/
do i need to install this docker on my virtual machine?

emilmammadzada said:
do i need to install this docker on my virtual machine?
I'm not sure what one means by 'install this docker'. The page goes through steps.

Since one installed FLAIR and it works, you should have similar steps to install FLUKA, but perhaps there are some steps unique to FLUKA.

I will probably do much the same in future.

• Informative
Likes emilmammadzada

1. How do I install WSL on Windows 10?

To install WSL on Windows 10, follow these steps:

• Open the Windows Features settings by searching for "Turn Windows features on or off" in the start menu.
  • Check the box next to "Windows Subsystem for Linux" and click "OK".
  • Restart your computer.
  • Open the Microsoft Store and search for "Ubuntu".
  • Click on the "Ubuntu" app and then click "Get" to download and install it.

2. How do I install Ubuntu 20.04 on WSL?

To install Ubuntu 20.04 on WSL, follow these steps:

• Open the Microsoft Store and search for "Ubuntu".
  • Click on the "Ubuntu" app and then click "Get" to download and install it.
  • Once the installation is complete, open the Ubuntu app from the start menu.
  • You will be prompted to create a username and password for your Ubuntu installation.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to finish setting up Ubuntu 20.04 on WSL.

3. How do I install FLUKA on Ubuntu 20.04?

To install FLUKA on Ubuntu 20.04, follow these steps:

• Open the terminal in Ubuntu 20.04.
  • Update your system by running the command "sudo apt update".
  • Install the necessary dependencies by running the command "sudo apt install build-essential gfortran libx11-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev libxext-dev libncurses5-dev libmotif-dev libxmu-dev libxi-dev libxerces-c-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libxml2-dev libfreetype6-dev libssl-dev libperl-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libgsl-dev libblas-dev liblapack-dev libmotif-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev libxext-dev libncurses5-dev libmotif-dev libxmu-dev libxi-dev libxerces-c-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libxml2-dev libfreetype6-dev libssl-dev libperl-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libgsl-dev libblas-dev liblapack-dev libmotif-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev libxext-dev libncurses5-dev libmotif-dev libxmu-dev libxi-dev libxerces-c-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libxml2-dev libfreetype6-dev libssl-dev libperl-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libgsl-dev libblas-dev liblapack-dev libmotif-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev libxext-dev libncurses5-dev libmotif-dev libxmu-dev libxi-dev libxerces-c-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libxml2-dev libfreetype6-dev libssl-dev libperl-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libgsl-dev libblas-dev liblapack-dev libmotif-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev libxext-dev libncurses5-dev libmotif-dev libxmu-dev libxi-dev libxerces-c-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libxml2-dev libfreetype6-dev libssl-dev libperl-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libgsl-dev libblas-dev liblapack-dev libmotif-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev libxext-dev libncurses5-dev libmotif-dev libxmu-dev libxi-dev libxerces-c-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libxml2-dev libfreetype6-dev libssl-dev libperl-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libgsl-dev libblas-dev liblapack-dev libmotif-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev libxext-dev libncurses5-dev libmotif-dev libxmu-dev libxi-dev libxerces-c-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libxml2-dev libfreetype6-dev libssl-dev libperl-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libgsl-dev libblas-dev liblapack-dev libmotif-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev libxext-dev libncurses5-dev libmotif-dev libxmu-dev libxi