Ubuntu (or another distro) on a crowded SSD

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a Linux operating system for a Master's thesis in Physics. The person is considering installing a Linux distro in dual boot with Windows 10 on their laptop, but is concerned about the available space on their SSD. They are seeking advice on the best Linux distro to use and whether they should install it directly on the HDD or partition it with the SSD. It is also mentioned that they have some familiarity with Ubuntu and Xubuntu. The conversation also suggests the option of replacing the 128gb SSD with a larger one, which would require reinstalling Windows. However, it is noted that programs and data are stored on the HDD, so they may not have to be reinstalled.
Millek_55
TL;DR Summary
I want to try understanding which is the best setup for a Linux OS in dual boot with Windows on my laptop, having a small SSD.
I'm a Master student in Physics and my professor for the thesis suggested to use an OS different than Windows, so I want to install a Linux distro in dual boot since I don't want to completely leave Win10 at the moment. I shall point out that I will be working in condensed matter physics (DMRG) and install some codes in the new OS (Python with TeNPy, maybe Julia, plus some plotting library), along with a couple of useful apps like Matlab and so on.

On my laptop I have a 128gb SSD (Intel SSDSC2KF128G8L) with only 45gb of free space and a 1tb HDD (Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172) with 350gb of free space (I can also remove more trash from the HDD, but not so easily from the SSD). So my idea was to create partition for the root in the SSD and the one for /home in the HDD, in order to still exploit the speed of the SSD. However, I'm not sure I have room in the SSD to leave both systems enough empty space in order to run efficiently, since I got contrasting opinion looking on the web. Therefore, I'm asking for any advice about the following doubts:

Should I use Ubuntu, one of its flavours or another Linux distro (maybe something lighter)?
Should I install the new OS directly on the HDD, despite it being slower?
Any other solution or idea is also welcomed
On a side note, I already have a little familiarity with Ubuntu and Xubuntu.

I hope I was clear, if any other info is needed to give a satisfactory answe, just let me know and I will try to provide.

Computer science news on Phys.org
First I would ask if you are able to replace the SSD: I don't know what country you are in but in the UK a 480GB SSD from e.g. Kingston or Crucial costs about the same as a week's student travel pass. This will make the problem go away, and solve some other problems too!

If not then you are going to struggle, not with the OS but with Matlab in particular, as well as any data, so yes you will probably want home on the HD. Matlab installs in /usr so you will probably need that as well as /home on the HD. I think you will want /boot and /var With everything else on the SSD you will want to clean out anything big from /var/log regularly. 16GB for Linux on the SSD should be OK, but perhaps give it 20GB to be safe.

Like @Baluncore I recommend Mint (which is derived from Ubuntu) over any Ubuntu flavour, not just because it is more "Windows-like", there are other advantages. For lightness I would go with the XFCE edition rather than Cinammon. If your hardware is limited you should definitely steer clear of the Gnome-based Ubuntu.

Last edited:
Likes harborsparrow
Millek_55 said:
On my laptop I have a 128gb SSD (Intel SSDSC2KF128G8L) with only 45gb of free space
I too suggest to get something bigger first.
Also, if the hardware can support it then I would consider a virtual machine, at least for first few runs.

I think the actual Linux version should be chosen based on the available communities for the SW you wish to use. You'll need relevant support.

Likes harborsparrow
pbuk said:
First I would ask if you are able to replace the SSD: I don't know what country you are in but in the UK a 480GB SSD from e.g. Kingston or Crucial costs about the same as a week's student travel pass. This will make the problem go away, and solve some other problems too!
So you are suggesting to change my 128gb SSD with a bigger one. Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but I guess this means then reinstalling Windows from scratch on the new drive, which would be a bit bothersome. Or is there a way to backup everything and simply transfer Windows in the same state as it is now on the new drive?
It is true that most of the data and programs are stored in my HDD, but I guess that a reinstallation of Windows will at least require reinstalling all programs.

Millek_55 said:
So you are suggesting to change my 128gb SSD with a bigger one. Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but I guess this means then reinstalling Windows from scratch on the new drive, which would be a bit bothersome. Or is there a way to backup everything and simply transfer Windows in the same state as it is now on the new drive?
You should be able to copy an image of the current SSD to the larger SSD with no real problems. Then your computer should run with the larger SSD without anything else needed. You should not need to reinstall anything.
Millek_55 said:
It is true that most of the data and programs are stored in my HDD, but I guess that a reinstallation of Windows will at least require reinstalling all programs.
That should not be necessary.

Millek_55 said:
Debian or a derivative like Ubuntu would be obvious choices in terms of access to help and a plethora of software. But they're both somewhat bloated. You could install a server-only image and then a lightweight window manager. You'd probably want to keep that as light as possible. KDE or GNOME probably aren't the best choices in terms of size although they would probably make the transition from Windows easier.

Distrowatch is a good place to compare the various distros and their strengths and weaknesses.

Incidentally, both Microsoft Azure and Google iCloud offer a free period where you can set up a virtual machine and connect using x2goclient/server but that would perhaps defeat the purpose of experimenting with dual booting.

I remember a distro called Mepis which never installed but always ran straight from the CD (that's how long ago that was.) In fact SparklyLinux sound a little like a modern Mepis.

128gb isn't too scrappy I think. Should be plenty of room for Linux if not Windows. I still use my old Raspberry PI and the SD(!) card I use with that hasn't even remotely as much space available.

I love Linux (Xbuntu) but then again I don't play games. I only keep Windows around for some of the DAWs like Reason, Cubase and Fruityloops. I like making noise and my neighbors love me for it. Or so I think. For some reason we dont talk much. :)

Last edited:
Millek_55 said:
So you are suggesting to change my 128gb SSD with a bigger one. Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but I guess this means then reinstalling Windows from scratch on the new drive, which would be a bit bothersome.
You should look at this as a necessary chore that needs doing at least every 2-3 years even if you are not changing hardware: Windows accumulates a LOT of crap that slows everything down, you will find everything much better afterwards. Also, installing from a fresh download from Microsoft will mean you will lose the hardware vendor bloatware that came with your PC that is probably also slowing things down.

• Skeptical
Likes FactChecker
Millek_55 said:
Should I install the new OS directly on the HDD, despite it being slower?
Unless you have some really special Python programs that run for days, or use heavy 3D animations or videos, that would be my choice. How much speed does one really need?

Personally, I'm using Linux Lite which is specifically designed to make the transition from Windows to Linux Lite as smooth as possible. I got it for this purpose and stuck with it.

• Informative
Likes FactChecker
pbuk said:
@FactChecker why the skepticsm, this is standard advice, even Microsoft now agree?
I stand corrected (I guess). That looks much easier than I expected. When they say that no "personal data" is lost, does that mean that your downloads and installations do not need to be redone?
That being said, I have done occasional uninstalls and removed things from Startup without much trouble and have never needed to do a reinstall of Windows.

FactChecker said:
I stand corrected (I guess). That looks much easier than I expected. When they say that no "personal data" is lost, does that mean that your downloads and installations do not need to be redone?
Well that article is about reinstalling on the same disk or SSD, on a new SSD then yes you do have to start from scratch. But as I say you should look at this as an opportunity to start afresh, like clearing out the kitchen cupboards and spring cleaning - its a bit of a chore but after you have done it you will be glad you did!

pbuk said:
Well that article is about reinstalling on the same disk or SSD, on a new SSD then yes you do have to start from scratch.
It is not necessary to start from scratch on a new, larger, SSD. You can clone an image over and everything should still work just like before. When replacing a HDD with an SSD, the SSD is likely to be smaller, but if the SSD is large enough to hold the OS partitions, there should be no problem. (see https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/ssd-upgrade.html )
pbuk said:
But as I say you should look at this as an opportunity to start afresh, like clearing out the kitchen cupboards and spring cleaning - its a bit of a chore but after you have done it you will be glad you did!
I have never noticed the "bloatware" problem that people complain about. That may be because I usually have more disk space than I need. I have done some occasional uninstalls when something kept popping up and annoying me. That process has never required a significant effort.

As I have had MATLAB on my "to do" list for a while, I have just completed two installs in virtual machines using Linux Mint 21.1 XFCE edition and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. Both are around 17GB including MATLAB core (which is about 5GB). Mint was more successful as the comminity provided tool to add MATLAB to the start menu works well; the corresponding Ubunty "community" tool did not install as you can see from the screenshots below (Mint on the top, Ubuntu on the bottom) so you have to open a terminal and enter the path to the matlab script manually.

1677078642278.png

Last edited:
Rive said:
Also, if the hardware can support it then I would consider a virtual machine, at least for first few runs.
I'll second this advice. Dual boot is a pain. Running the second OS in a virtual machine is much more convenient.

Thanks to everyone for all the answers. At the moment, I'm leaning towards installing a Linux distro on an external SSD (I was considering Samsung T7 500gb), at least as a temporary setup. Any opinion on this?

vela said:
I'll second this advice. Dual boot is a pain. Running the second OS in a virtual machine is much more convenient.
But will make Matlab really slow, particularly as there is no room on the SSD so it will have to be on the HD. I don't find dual booting a pain, although if you are using Bitlocker encryption make sure you have access to the master key!

Millek_55 said:
Thanks to everyone for all the answers. At the moment, I'm leaning towards installing a Linux distro on an external SSD (I was considering Samsung T7 500gb), at least as a temporary setup. Any opinion on this?
I haven't tried it on a modern USB: according to Samsung's blurb "To reach maximum read/write speeds of up to 1,050/1,000 MB/s, respectively, the host device and connection cables must support USB 3.2Gen 2 and the UASP mode must be enabled." At ordinary USB speeds it will be slower than the HD.

Millek_55 said:
I'm leaning towards installing a Linux distro on an external SSD (I was considering Samsung T7 500gb)
I think that'll be significantly slower. Unless it's satisfyingly cheaper (e.g. free... ) I would still opt for the bigger SSD.

There is some marketing-speak here, just like "lasts up to an hour" means the only promise they are making is that you won't get 61 minutes.

I find USB drive speed highly variable. Booting Linux off one can be fine, or it can be painful. My experience that a USB drive that looks like a drive is often much faster than one that looks like a memory stick - and this is 100% market segmentation, There's no technical reason this should be so.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
I would not count on being able to upgrade a drive in Windows without needing to reinstall. Tons of experience here. Not saying it *can't* be done, but it usually isn't possible for an average person without special tools. Yes, OS upgrades need to happen every 3-5 years, as well as disk size upgrades. It's a painful reality.|

If your system is running slow, look to a combination of disk size and RAM. Increase both if possible, because in Windows at least, the disk is used to "make up" for lack of RAM via swapping, and that goes much more quickly on an SSD than in the old former movable-head drives.

harborsparrow said:
Not saying it *can't* be done, but it usually isn't possible for an average person without special tools.
There are some free (free trial, at least) tools for this. I would not try them for any compex cases, but I've already successfully migrated some Win10 systems. It is considerable safe and easy for simple installations (leaves the source disk usable).

Likes Vanadium 50 and harborsparrow

1. Can I install Ubuntu on a crowded SSD?

Yes, you can install Ubuntu on a crowded SSD. However, you may experience slower performance due to the limited space and the need for constant read and write operations.

2. How much free space do I need on my SSD to install Ubuntu?

The minimum recommended free space for installing Ubuntu is 25 GB. However, it is recommended to have at least 50 GB of free space for optimal performance.

3. Will installing Ubuntu on a crowded SSD affect my computer's performance?

Yes, it may affect your computer's performance, especially if the SSD is heavily crowded. This can result in slower boot times and delays in opening programs.

4. Can I move my files from the crowded SSD to an external drive after installing Ubuntu?

Yes, you can move your files to an external drive after installing Ubuntu on a crowded SSD. This will free up space on the SSD and improve performance. Just make sure to properly configure the external drive for use with Ubuntu.

5. How can I optimize Ubuntu's performance on a crowded SSD?

To optimize Ubuntu's performance on a crowded SSD, you can try disabling unnecessary services, removing unused programs, and regularly cleaning up temporary files. You can also consider upgrading to a larger SSD if possible.