How do I integrate sqrt(t^2 + 8)?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the arc length of a curve using integration and the use of trigonometric substitution to simplify the process. The final answer is given as 2(6*sqrt(11) + 4*arcsinh(3/sqrt(2))). One of the speakers has difficulties with using LaTeX on their computer but the other speaker provides a solution using trigonometric substitution and partial fractions.
jplandreneau
I am trying to figure out the following arc length problem, and it's really coming down to a question over intregration.

Compute the length of the curve r(t)=(4t)i +(4t)j+(t^2+6k) over the interval 0 to 6.

I have dr/dt = (4, 4, 2t) , and then used the arc length equation:

L= integral 0,6 ( sqrt((4^2)+(4^2) +(2t)^2)

and have reduced this to 2 int((sqrt(t^2+8))

I'm doing this to prepare for a test, and have "cheated" by using my calculator to get an answer of 2(6*sqrt(11) + 4*arcsinh(3/sqrt(2))) . I have no idea how to do the intregration of the sqrt(t^2 +8) and would greatly appreciate some advice. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \int \sqrt{x^2+8}dx[/tex] well, as i can see probbably a trig substitution would clean things up, let me have a crack at it.

[tex] x=\sqrt{8}tan(u)=>dx=\frac{\sqrt{8}}{cos^2u}[/tex] now,

[tex] \int \sqrt{8tan^2u+8}\frac{\sqrt{8}}{cos^2u}du[/tex]

OK thanks a lot - its a little messy but definitely helps

jplandreneau said:
OK thanks a lot - its a little messy but definitely helps

Actually i was going to type the whole thing, but i was havin' latex problems in this comp. so that's what i eventually posted.

The point is that [itex]sec^2(\theta)= 1+ tan^2(\theta)[/itex] so that the substitution [itex]x= \sqrt{8}tan u[/itex] gives [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ 8}= \sqrt{8tan^2u+ 8}= \sqrt{8}sec u[/itex]. Since sec u= 1/cos u, the integral becomes
[tex]8\int \frac{du}{cos^3 u}[/tex]
Since that involves an odd factor of cos u, you can multiply numerator and denominator by cos u to get
[tex]8\int \frac{cos u du}{cos^4 u}= 8\int \frac{cos u du}{(1- sin^2u)^2}[/tex]
and use the substitution y= sin u to reduce to a rational function which can then be done by partial fractions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How do I integrate sqrt(t^2 + 8)?

What is arc length integration?

Arc length integration is a mathematical technique used to find the length of a curve on a graph. It involves using calculus to integrate a function that represents the curve and then taking the square root of the result to find the arc length.

Why is arc length integration important?

Arc length integration is important because it allows us to find the exact length of a curve, which is often necessary in real-world applications such as engineering and physics. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of curves and their relationship to other mathematical concepts.

What are the steps involved in arc length integration?

The steps for arc length integration are as follows:
1. Identify the function that represents the curve.
2. Set up the integral by using the arc length formula: L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx.
3. Simplify the integral by finding the derivative of the function and substituting it into the formula.
4. Integrate the function and evaluate it at the limits of integration.
5. Take the square root of the result to find the arc length.

What are some common applications of arc length integration?

Arc length integration is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to find the length of curves in structural design, to calculate the distance traveled by an object with changing speed, and to create 3D models and animations.

Are there any limitations to arc length integration?

One limitation of arc length integration is that it can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for curves with complicated equations. Another limitation is that it may not always give an exact result, as it involves approximations and rounding. Additionally, it is not applicable to all types of curves, such as self-intersecting curves or curves with infinite length.