How do I integrate these two functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses two integration problems and possible methods for solving them. The first problem involves integrating (6x-x^2)^(-1/2) and the second problem involves integrating e/(e^(2x)-1). The speaker suggests using a trig substitution for the first problem and partial fractions for the second problem. They also provide a helpful tip for solving integration problems involving the form \frac{dx}{\sqrt{Ax^2 + Bx + C}} by dividing into two cases.
hhkeep21
Hello, I'm having difficulty intergrating the following two functions:

1) (6x-x^2)^(-1/2)

I'm fairly sure that you need to intergrate by parts for this function, but I can't figure out how to do it

2) e/(e^(2x)-1)

This one I thought could do with inverse trig functions but I'm drawing a blank there also

Can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) [tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{6x-x^2}} dx[/tex]

Whenever I see something like that, I take out as much of the x's from the square root as possible. So let's take out an x^2 :)

[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{6x-x^2}} dx = \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2}\sqrt{\frac{6}{x} -1}}[/tex]

Now that's starting to look like something a trig substitution can help :)

I seem to remember [itex]\sec^2 u -1 = \tan^2 u[/itex] :)

So to make it very convenient, the 6/x would be nice to be sec^2 u.

So let x= 6 cos^2 u. Thats a nice substitution :)
2)[tex]\int \frac{e^x}{(e^x)^2-1} dx[/tex]

u=e^x, du = e^x dx

So it becomes [tex]\int \frac{1}{u^2-1} du[/tex]

To finish that off, realize the bottom factors by difference of two squares into (u+1)(u-1) and use partial fractions.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it

Gib Z said:
1) [tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{6x-x^2}} dx[/tex]

Whenever I see something like that, I take out as much of the x's from the square root as possible. So let's take out an x^2 :)

[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{6x-x^2}} dx = \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2}\sqrt{\frac{6}{x} -1}}[/tex]

A shorter version is:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{6x - x ^ 2}} = \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{- \left( -6x + x ^ 2 \right)}} = \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{9 - \left( x ^ 2 - 6x + 9 \right)}} = \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{9 - \left( x - 3 \right) ^ 2}} = ...[/tex]

--------------------

Usually, when you encounter the form:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{Ax ^ 2 + Bx + C}}[/tex]
We divide it into 2 cases:
The first case is A > 0, we'll try to arrange the integral above to the form:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{Ax ^ 2 + Bx + C}} = \int \frac{dx}{(mx + n) ^ 2 + \alpha ^ 2}[/tex]
Then use the substitution:
[tex]mx + n = \alpha \tan t[/tex]

The second case is A < 0, we'll re-arrange it to:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{Ax ^ 2 + Bx + C}} = \int \frac{dx}{\alpha ^ 2 - (mx + n) ^ 2}[/tex]
Then use the substitution:
[tex]mx + n = \alpha sin t[/tex]

---------------------

Is it clear? Can you complete the problem now? :)
Your problem is in the second case. :smile:

Well I'm having difficulty with the parts problem now because you must make the denominator equal to zero to solve for A and B to solve the equation, but e^x + 1 never equals zero so I'm a little confused how to solve it?

Gib Z said:
1)

2)[tex]\int \frac{e^x}{(e^x)^2-1} dx[/tex]

u=e^x, du = e^x dx

So it becomes [tex]\int \frac{1}{u^2-1} du[/tex]

To finish that off, realize the bottom factors by difference of two squares into (u+1)(u-1) and use partial fractions.

[tex]\frac{1}{u^2-1}=\frac{1}{2(u-1)}-\frac{1}{2(u+1)}[/tex]

Does that help?

1. What is integration of two functions?

Integration of two functions is a mathematical process of finding the area under the curve formed by the two functions. It involves finding the antiderivative of the given functions and evaluating the definite integral within a specified interval.

2. Why is integration of two functions important?

Integration of two functions is important in various fields of science and mathematics. It is used to solve problems related to finding the total distance traveled, displacement, and velocity in physics. In economics, it is used to calculate the total revenue and cost functions. In engineering, it is used to determine the work done by a force. Moreover, integration is also used in calculus to find the maximum and minimum values of functions.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration of two functions?

The difference between definite and indefinite integration lies in the presence of limits. In definite integration, the integral is evaluated within a specified interval, while in indefinite integration, the constant of integration is added at the end of the antiderivative. Definite integration gives a numerical value, whereas indefinite integration gives a function or a family of functions.

4. What are the different methods of integrating two functions?

The most commonly used methods of integration include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These methods are used to simplify the integrand and make it easier to evaluate the integral.

5. Can integration of two functions be applied to non-mathematical problems?

Yes, integration of two functions can be applied to various real-world problems. For example, in biology, it can be used to determine the growth rate of a population. In chemistry, it can be used to calculate the rate of a chemical reaction. In economics, it can be used to find the total profit or loss of a company. Integration is a powerful tool that can be applied to a wide range of problems in different fields.