How do I know that I should do a vector addition for this?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of displacement vectors in finding the location of the keys to a Porsche in a reality TV show challenge. The contestants are given three vectors and are told to follow all three to reach the keys. One contestant realizes that calculating the resultant of the three vectors is faster than walking and measuring, and this helps her win the challenge. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding when to add vectors in similar problems in the future.
Blockade
I don't need help finding the resultant of this example problem. What I do need help for is: What exactly from this prompt hinted that I must add all the vectors provided.

I have read this many times through and I still didn't know what to do. How does adding the vectors help them find the location of the keys to the Porsche? What can tell me in the future (like in a test) when I read a problem like this, I should try and add the vectors? What is the reasoning behind adding the vectors?

Thank you for your time.

Three players on a reality TV show are brought to the center of a
large, flat field. Each is given a meter stick, a compass, a calculator,
a shovel, and (in a different order for each contestant) the following
three displacements:

A: 72.4 m, 32.0° east of north
B: 57.3 m, 36.0° south of west
C: 17.8 m due south

The three displacements lead to the point in the field where the
keys to a new Porsche are buried. Two players start measuring
immediately, but the winner first calculates where to go. What
does she calculate?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have three displacement vectors and the players are told that they have to follow all three. What else would you do with the vectors?

Calculating is really faster than walking (and measuring) the long way here I guess.

Last edited:
Likes Blockade
mfb said:
You have three displacement vectors and the players are told that they have to follow all three. What else would you do with the vectors?

Calculating is really faster than walking (and measuring) the long way here I guess.
I understand now, thank you very much for your help!

1. How do I know when to use vector addition in my experiments?

Vector addition is used when dealing with quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and displacement. If you are working with these types of quantities, you will most likely need to use vector addition at some point.

2. Can't I just use basic arithmetic instead of vector addition?

No, basic arithmetic does not take into account the direction of the quantities being added. Vector addition is necessary when dealing with quantities that have different directions, as it allows for a more accurate representation of the final result.

3. How do I perform vector addition?

To perform vector addition, you must first draw the vectors on a graph, making sure to accurately represent their magnitude and direction. Then, you can use the head-to-tail method or the parallelogram method to add the vectors together and determine the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines when it comes to vector addition?

Yes, there are a few rules that should be followed when performing vector addition. These include the commutative law (order of addition does not matter), the associative law (grouping of vectors does not matter), and the distributive law (distributing a scalar quantity to each vector before addition).

5. Can I use vector addition for any type of vector quantity?

Yes, vector addition can be used for any type of vector quantity, as long as they have the same units. This includes adding displacement vectors, force vectors, velocity vectors, and more. However, it is important to note that vector addition is not applicable to quantities that are not vectors, such as temperature or mass.