How do I obtain a set of orthogonal polynomials up to the 7th term?

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining a set of orthogonal polynomials up to the 7th term. The person is unsure if they are on the right track and is seeking help. They mention using Gram-Schmidt and ask for the recursion relation to be written in Latex. It is suggested to use a computer instead of doing the calculation by hand. The Legendre polynomials are mentioned as a reference for checking the work. The person is then asked to explain why they are doing it the hard way instead of using a recurrence relation.
Barracuda
Hello everyone,
I need some help with this solution. I'm trying to obtain a set of orthogonal polynomials up to the 7th term. I think i got it up to the 6th term, but the integration is getting more complex. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
IMG_20210114_192102.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210114_192237~2.jpg
    IMG_20210114_192237~2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20210114_192248~2.jpg
    IMG_20210114_192248~2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20210114_192314~3.jpg
    IMG_20210114_192314~3.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20210114_192352~2.jpg
    IMG_20210114_192352~2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20210114_192218~2.jpg
    IMG_20210114_192218~2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 136
Could you write the recursion relation, preferably in Latex?

Likes sysprog
Nobody wants to wade through your hand-written figures. If you want a response, you're going to have to learn how to enter it into latex.

Likes sysprog, Barracuda, Mayhem and 1 other person
Infrared said:
I haven't read your images, but it seems to me like you're describing the Legendre polynomials (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legen...ition_by_construction_as_an_orthogonal_system). If so, you can check your work there.

Is there a reason you have to do this calculation by hand (instead of using a computer)? I would expect it to be very tedious.
I'm using Gram-Schmidt. I'll type it out using Latex

If you mean typing out all your handwriting, first please explain why you seem to be doing it the hard way (rather than using the recurrence relation for example).

Likes sysprog

1. What are orthogonal polynomials?

Orthogonal polynomials are a type of mathematical function that is used to represent certain types of data or phenomena. These polynomials have the property that they are mutually perpendicular when plotted on a graph, which makes them useful for analyzing and modeling complex systems.

2. Why are orthogonal polynomials useful?

Orthogonal polynomials are useful because they can be used to approximate other functions and data sets, making them valuable tools for solving problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They also have nice mathematical properties that make them easier to work with compared to other types of functions.

3. How do I obtain a set of orthogonal polynomials up to the 7th term?

To obtain a set of orthogonal polynomials up to the 7th term, you can use a method called the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves starting with a set of basis polynomials and then using a series of calculations to orthogonalize them. By repeating this process up to the 7th term, you can obtain a set of orthogonal polynomials.

4. What are some examples of orthogonal polynomials?

Some common examples of orthogonal polynomials include Legendre polynomials, Chebyshev polynomials, and Hermite polynomials. These polynomials have different forms and are used for different purposes, but they all share the property of being mutually orthogonal.

5. How are orthogonal polynomials used in real-world applications?

Orthogonal polynomials have a wide range of applications in various fields. For example, they are used in physics to model quantum mechanical systems, in engineering to approximate complex functions, and in statistics to fit data to a curve. They are also used in signal processing, image analysis, and many other areas where complex data needs to be analyzed and modeled.