Finding Integer Solutions to Polynomial Equations: Can it be Done Easily?

In summary, In this particular problem, there is a clear intersection between the graphs and so there is a number that is 1 more its cube.
MiddleEast
Homework Statement
Is there a number that is one more than its cube?
Relevant Equations
IVT, Graph & proof.
Hello,
Am re-studying math & calculus aiming to start pure math studying later.
However, I got this problem in Stewart calculus.

Typically, this is a straightforward IVT application.
x = x^3 + 1, call f(x)= x^3 - x + 1 & apply IVT.
However I have two things to discuss. First thing is simple proof method & whether it is accepted or not ?
Second thing how to know if there is an integer solution of P(x) = 0 where P is polynomial

Frist : Basically solution of f(x) = g(x) is the x-coordinates of intersection points. I will just draw both curves and point out there is an intersection hence yes there is a number that is 1 more its cube. [Can you accept this a solution if you are a professor?]. Note that question did not ask to use IVT & no exact value is needed.

Second : Another simple way is to find that number! So basically solving x^3 - x + 1 = 0. Here is my question, I solved it online & real solution is ugly. But I remember from high school there is some theorem saying solution is factors of constant term OR coefficient of higher power x. Both of constant term & coefficient is 1 so factors are 1 & -1 but none of them satisfy the equation! I think am missing something or there is some condition in order for this to be true.
TL;DR : Is there any way to know that a polynomial equation has integer solution without solving it?

Physics news on Phys.org
MiddleEast said:
Homework Statement:: Is there a number that is one more its cube?
Relevant Equations:: IVT, Graph & proof.

Frist : Basically solution of f(x) = g(x) is the x-coordinates of intersection points. I will just draw both curves and point out there is an intersection hence yes there is a number that is 1 more its cube. [Can you accept this a solution if you are a professor?]. Note that question did not ask to use IVT & no exact value is needed.
No, as a physics professor I might accept a graphical solution but a maths professor would likely want you to formalize that.

Likes topsquark
MiddleEast said:
TL;DR : Is there any way to know that a polynomial equation has integer solution without solving it?
See here for the Rational Root Theorem.

If you have to solve this one by hand you are going to have to use something like Cardano's method.

-Dan

• Informative
Likes berkeman
MiddleEast said:
Are you assuming that there is a clear intersection where f(x) goes from one side of g(x) to the other? If not, they might be tangent and touch, or they might just come so close that you can not see the separation on your graph. If f(x) does go from one side to the other, then apply the IVT to f(x)-g(x). The IVT is a good thing, it is not something to be avoided. Use the tools available.

Would you say that these curves touch at x=0? They don't. The blue curve remains at least 0.00000001 below the green curve.
geogebra-export.png

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
FactChecker said:
Are you assuming that there is a clear intersection where f(x) goes from one side of g(x) to the other? If not, they might be tangent and touch, or they might just come so close that you can not see the separation on your graph. If f(x) does go from one side to the other, then apply the IVT to f(x)-g(x). The IVT is a good thing, it is not something to be avoided. Use the tools available.

Would you say that these curves touch at x=0? They don't. The blue curve remains at least 0.00000001 below the green curve.
View attachment 314143

Thanks.
Am not avoiding, am thinking in other ways. For this particular problem, surely x intersect with x^3 + 1 if draw both graphs. Clear intersection is there & I understood your point, but for this problem there is clear intersection.

MiddleEast said:
Thanks.
Am not avoiding, am thinking in other ways. For this particular problem, surely x intersect with x^3 + 1 if draw both graphs. Clear intersection is there & I understood your point, but for this problem there is clear intersection.
Are you "thinking in other ways" or just avoiding saying it by being casual? IMO, you are being casual and just trying not to specifically reference the IVT. But the IVT is really what is making it work.

Last edited:
Likes pbuk and topsquark
You can do some basic analysis :
1)If the expression/polynomial is of odd degree, it will have at least one Real zero

2) its not going to be right of ##x=1##. For$$x=1$$ , we get 1 on the left,##1^3+1=2 ##, and g##x^3## will grow much faster than ##x##. Similar for ##x=-1##. But you can do the standard analysis using the derivative.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
MiddleEast said:
Thanks.
Yes, but formally you need the intermediate value theorem for continuous functions.

Likes FactChecker and topsquark
MiddleEast said:
Clear intersection is there & I understood your point, but for this problem there is clear intersection.
MiddleEast said:
Can you accept this a solution if you are a professor?
The answer to this question is no: looking at a picture is never a proof in mathematics. Correct use of the IVT would be an acceptable solution. Nothing more to say*, accept this point and move on.

* Edit: except of course that there is no integer solution. Proving this takes a little more effort and drawing a graph may help you work out how to do it, but the graph itself is still not any part of the proof.

Likes FactChecker
in a sense, using the IVT rigorously is even easier than graphing. I.e. for graphing you must plot some points, i.e. evaluate the polynomial at some inputs. For IVT all you have to do is find two inputs that give outputs of opposite sign and you are done by the IVT. Since P(0) = 1 and P(-2) = -5, The IVT says that some x with -2 < x < 0, gives P(-2) = 0 . Where of course P(x) = x^3 - x +1.

I.e. for the IVT you only need to plug in two appropriate inputs and evaluate P at them. You don't need also to plot them! So in a sense, (making and) looking at a graph does give you enough to apply the IVT, if the appropriate points (one above and one below the x axis) are correctly marked on the graph. But you do have to put the essential facts into words.

Likes FactChecker

1. Can all polynomial equations be solved using integer solutions?

Not all polynomial equations can be solved using integer solutions. Some equations may have complex or irrational solutions that cannot be expressed as integers.

2. Is there a specific method for finding integer solutions to polynomial equations?

Yes, there are various methods for finding integer solutions to polynomial equations such as factoring, substitution, and graphing. The most commonly used method is the rational root theorem, which helps identify potential integer solutions.

3. Are there any limitations to finding integer solutions to polynomial equations?

Yes, there are limitations to finding integer solutions to polynomial equations. Some equations may not have any integer solutions, while others may have an infinite number of solutions. Additionally, the degree of the polynomial can also affect the ease of finding integer solutions.

4. Can technology be used to find integer solutions to polynomial equations?

Yes, technology such as graphing calculators and computer programs can be used to find integer solutions to polynomial equations. These tools can quickly and accurately solve equations with large or complex coefficients.

5. How can finding integer solutions to polynomial equations be useful in real life?

Finding integer solutions to polynomial equations can be useful in various real-life applications, such as finance, engineering, and statistics. For example, in finance, integer solutions can represent the number of units or items needed to break even or reach a certain profit. In engineering, integer solutions can represent the number of components or materials needed for a project. In statistics, integer solutions can represent the number of data points or observations needed for a certain analysis.