How do I proceed with two different trig functions containing x on the left?

In summary: Well, they turn out to be equivalent if we consider positive values of tangent and sine. Because in my equations it is ##y=\sin x## while in yours, ##y^2=\sin^2x=\frac{t^2}{1+t^2}## which if we solve for ##t## we get for the positive value of t ##t=\frac{y}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}## and then your equation becomes $$t\sin^2x=\alpha\Rightarrow \frac{y}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}y^2=\alpha$$ which is my equation...
DerbisEternal
Homework Statement
The problem is this: two 10 g balls hang from 1 m strings attached to the same point on the ceiling. They are both charged with 100 nC. What angle are they separated to?
Relevant Equations
Fe=(k*q1*q2)/(r^2)
Given the total angles in the x direction, I set up this:
(mg/cos(x))*sin(x)-Fe=0
then isolated for x:

mgtan(x)=(kq^2)/(2*sin^2x)

sin^2(x)*tan(x)=(kq^2)/(2mg)

From here I am stuck. How do I go forward when x is contained in two different trig functions on the left?

Physics news on Phys.org
you should start by drawing a force diagram and using a variable not x for the angle.

wrt to the trig functions sin^2 is the same as (1-cos^2) and tan is sin/cos so you could change it to a sin cos term and from there find other Trig identities To reduce it further.

DerbisEternal said:
Homework Statement:: The problem is this: two 10 g balls hang from 1 m strings attached to the same point on the ceiling. They are both charged with 100 nC. What angle are they separated to?
Relevant Equations:: Fe=(k*q1*q2)/(r^2)

Given the total angles in the x direction, I set up this:
(mg/cos(x))*sin(x)-Fe=0
then isolated for x:

sin^2(x)*tan(x)=(kq^2)/(2mg)

From here I am stuck. How do I go forward when x is contained in two different trig functions on the left?
You can express all the trig in terms of tan, but it will give you a nontrivial cubic. So you could try a small angle approximation for both sin and cos, giving a trivial cubic instead. Having solved it, you can figure out whether the angle is small enough to justify the approximation.

Btw - magnetic??

DerbisEternal said:
Homework Statement:: The problem is this: two 10 g balls hang from 1 m strings attached to the same point on the ceiling. They are both charged with 100 nC. What angle are they separated to?
Relevant Equations:: Fe=(k*q1*q2)/(r^2)

I believe you have a small mistake here, it should be $$mg\tan x=k\frac{q^2}{4\sin^2 x}$$ as I think the distance between the two balls is ##2\sin x## if I have done the figure correctly myself. ##x## here is half the angle between the two strings.

That trigonometric equation might be hard to solve exactly (unless you use the small angle approximation as @haruspex suggested). I plugged this trigonometry equation at wolfram and I get very long and complex solutions. A workaround for this is the follow:

Using similarity of triangles (sorry i should have posted a figure) I seem to get the purely algebraic equation
$$k\frac{q^2}{4mgy^2}=\frac{y}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}$$
where ##y ## is half the distance between the two balls. (it is ##y=\sin x## to connect it with the previous post).

Letting ##a=k\frac{q^2}{4mg}## and after some algebra we seem to get $$y^6+a^2y^2-a^2=0$$ which can be reduced to a regular cubic equation using the substitution ##z=y^2## which can then be solved exactly using typical formulas. After solving for z , you get ##y=\pm\sqrt{z}## and ##x=\arcsin y##.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
That trigonometric equation might be hard to solve exactly (unless you use the small angle approximation as @haruspex suggested). I plugged this trigonometry equation at wolfram and I get very long and complex solutions. A workaround for this is the follow:

Using similarity of triangles (sorry i should have posted a figure) I seem to get the purely algebraic equation
$$k\frac{q^2}{4mgy^2}=\frac{y}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}$$
where ##y ## is half the distance between the two balls. (it is ##y=\sin x## to connect it with the previous post).

Letting ##a=k\frac{q^2}{4mg}## and after some algebra we seem to get $$y^6+a^2y^2-a^2=0$$ which can be reduced to a regular cubic equation using the substitution ##z=y^2## which can then be solved exactly using typical formulas. After solving for z , you get ##y=\pm\sqrt{z}## and ##x=\arcsin y##.
I got the cubic from the equation in post #1 by writing t for tan(x) and using ##\sin^2(x)=\frac {\sin^2(x)}{\cos^2(x)+\sin^2(x)}=\frac{t^2}{1+t^2}##.

haruspex said:
I got the cubic from the equation in post #1 by writing t for tan(x) and using ##\sin^2(x)=\frac {\sin^2(x)}{\cos^2(x)+\sin^2(x)}=\frac{t^2}{1+t^2}##.
I see, interesting, probably the two equations are equivalent. Do you agree on my post#4?

Delta2 said:
probably the two equations are equivalent
Almost certainly.

haruspex said:
Almost certainly.
Well, they turn out to be equivalent if we consider positive values of tangent and sine. Because in my equations it is ##y=\sin x## while in yours, ##y^2=\sin^2x=\frac{t^2}{1+t^2}## which if we solve for ##t## we get for the positive value of t ##t=\frac{y}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}## and then your equation becomes $$t\sin^2x=\alpha\Rightarrow \frac{y}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}y^2=\alpha$$ which is my equation :D

What is the concept of "Two Charged Balls on Strings"?

The concept of "Two Charged Balls on Strings" refers to a scientific experiment where two small balls with opposite charges are suspended from strings and allowed to interact with each other due to the electrical force between them.

How are the balls charged in this experiment?

The balls are typically charged by rubbing them with different materials, such as fur or wool. This causes an imbalance of electrons on the surface of the balls, creating a positive and negative charge.

What factors affect the behavior of the charged balls in this experiment?

The behavior of the charged balls is affected by the distance between them, the amount of charge on each ball, and the properties of the strings, such as their length and flexibility.

What happens when the charged balls are brought close together?

When the charged balls are brought close together, they will either attract or repel each other depending on their charges. If the balls have opposite charges, they will attract each other and if they have the same charge, they will repel each other.

What is the significance of this experiment in understanding electrical forces?

This experiment helps to demonstrate the fundamental principles of electrical forces, such as the attraction and repulsion between opposite and like charges. It also allows for the observation of how these forces change with distance and charge, providing a better understanding of the behavior of charged particles.