How Do I Prove This Trig Identity?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove a trigonometric identity. The suggested approach is to convert everything to sines and cosines and then use standard identities to transform the left side into the right side. A common mistake is made in the transformation process, but it can be corrected by applying the Pythagorean identity. The conversation ends with a clarification on the definition of secant and how it can be used to simplify the expression.
mathdrama
I have no idea how to go about proving this trig identiy. I mean, I've been taught that it's a safe bet to convert everything to sines and cosines, but other than that, I've no clue.

Am I even on the right path?

Attachments

• trigidentity.pdf
    144.5 KB · Views: 56
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I agree with you up to $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{\cos{(\theta)}} + \frac{\sin{(\theta)}}{\cos{(\theta)}} \cdot \frac{\sin{(\theta)}}{1} \end{align*}$. This is NOT the same as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{\cos{(\theta)}} + \frac{\sin^2{(\theta)}}{\cos{(\theta)}} \cdot \frac{\sin^2{(\theta)}}{\cos{(\theta)}} \end{align*}$. It's just $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{\cos{(\theta)}} + \frac{\sin^2{(\theta)}}{\cos{(\theta)}} \end{align*}$. Now, you have a common denominator, so the two fractions can be added. You should find that the top simplifies with the Pythagorean Identity.

Yes, but...

You've already made some errors in your "transformation".

If you start with:

$\sec\theta - \tan\theta\sin\theta = \cos\theta$

your next step should be to change this to:

$\dfrac{1}{\cos\theta} - \dfrac{\sin^2\theta}{\cos\theta} = \cos\theta$.

Try multiplying through by $\cos\theta$ next.

I was taught to begin with the left side of the given identity and then through algebraic means and through the use of standard identities, transform the left side into the right.

I would begin be factoring $\sec(\theta)$ from the left side:

\(\displaystyle \sec(\theta)\left(1-\sin^2(\theta)\right)\)

Now apply a Pythagorean identity and simplify and you will get the right side.

MarkFL said:
I was taught to begin with the left side of the given identity and then through algebraic means and through the use of standard identities, transform the left side into the right.

I would begin be factoring $\sec(\theta)$ from the left side:

\(\displaystyle \sec(\theta)\left(1-\sin^2(\theta)\right)\)

Now apply a Pythagorean identity and simplify and you will get the right side.

I don't know how to apply a Pythagorean identity, can you help me?

mathdrama said:
I don't know how to apply a Pythagorean identity, can you help me?

Perhaps the best known Pythagorean identity is:

\(\displaystyle \sin^2(\theta)+\cos^2(\theta)=1\)

Now, can you arrange this such that you can make a substitution for:

\(\displaystyle 1-\sin^2(\theta)\) ?

MarkFL said:
Perhaps the best known Pythagorean identity is:

Now, can you arrange this such that you can make a substitution for:

\(\displaystyle 1-\sin^2(\theta)\) ?

Is it something like 1 - sin^2 = 1 = sin^2?

mathdrama said:
Is it something like 1 - sin^2 = 1 = sin^2?

No, if we begin with:

And then subtract $\sin^2(\theta)$ from both sides, we get the alternate form of the identity:

\(\displaystyle \cos^2(\theta)=1-\sin^2(\theta)\)

And so now we have (in the original identity we are trying to prove):

\(\displaystyle \sec(\theta)\cos^2(\theta)\)

Okay, but I don’t how to simplify that any further or even turn it into cosθ.

mathdrama said:
Okay, but I don’t how to simplify that any further or even turn it into cosθ.

Well, by definition, we have:

\(\displaystyle \sec(\theta)\equiv\frac{1}{\cos(\theta)}\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle \sec(\theta)\cos^2(\theta)=\frac{\cos(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}\cos(\theta)=\cos(\theta)\)

Oh, thank you. I finally understand now.

Related to How Do I Prove This Trig Identity?

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all possible values of the variables involved. It is a statement that shows the relationship between different trigonometric functions and can be used to simplify or solve equations.

Why is it important to prove trigonometric identities?

Proving trigonometric identities helps to solidify one's understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties. It also allows for the simplification of complex expressions and the ability to solve more complex equations.

What are the steps for proving a trigonometric identity?

The general steps for proving a trigonometric identity are: 1) Start with one side of the equation and use algebraic manipulations and trigonometric identities to transform it into the other side. 2) Use basic trigonometric identities such as the Pythagorean identities and sum and difference formulas. 3) Simplify both sides until they are equivalent.

What are some common trigonometric identities used in proofs?

Some common trigonometric identities used in proofs include the Pythagorean identities: sin²θ + cos²θ = 1 and tan²θ + 1 = sec²θ, as well as the sum and difference formulas: sin(A ± B) = sinAcosB ± cosAsinB and cos(A ± B) = cosAcosB ∓ sinAsinB.

What are some tips for successfully proving trigonometric identities?

Some tips for successfully proving trigonometric identities include: 1) Start with the more complex side of the equation. 2) Work on one side of the equation at a time. 3) Use basic trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulations to simplify each side. 4) Keep in mind that both sides must be equivalent, not just equal. 5) Practice, practice, practice!