How do I put this series into a formula?

In summary: It will make your answer stand out as being well thought out.In summary, the formula for the number of palindrome numbers within a sample consisting of all possible n-digit integers, where n is odd, can be deduced by considering the pattern of how the number of digits in a palindrome changes as n varies through 3, 5, 7, etc. It can be seen that for n = 3, there are 90 palindrome numbers (9 possibilities for the first and third digit and 10 for the second digit). Similarly, for n = 5, there are 900 palindrome numbers. The pattern shows that for every additional odd digit, the number of palindrome numbers increases by a factor of 10. Therefore, the formula
SamBull

Homework Statement

Consider now a sample consisting of all possible n-digit integers where n is odd. Use your answers to the first two parts or otherwise to deduce a formula for the number of palindromic numbers within this sample.Your formula should be a function of n only. [6 marks] [Hint: Consider how this number changes as n varies through 3,5,7 etc and study the pattern]

Homework Equations

The earlier parts of the exam question asked how many Palindromic numbers there are using 3 digits i.e between 000-999 which I calculated to be 100 palindromic numbers. The other part before this was the same but for 5 digits i.e 00000-99999 which i calculated to be 1000 palindromic numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that when there are n = 3 digits then the total number of palindromic numbers is:

N=10^(3-1) (where 3 is n)

and for n = 5 digits

N=10^(5-2)

I don't know how to relate these into a formula for N using n. I've tried a lot of things but nothing seems to work.

P.S This is my first time posting here sorry if I have done anything wrong :<

Physics news on Phys.org
SamBull said:

Homework Statement

Consider now a sample consisting of all possible n-digit integers where n is odd. Use your answers to the first two parts or otherwise to deduce a formula for the number of palindromic numbers within this sample.Your formula should be a function of n only. [6 marks] [Hint: Consider how this number changes as n varies through 3,5,7 etc and study the pattern]

Homework Equations

The earlier parts of the exam question asked how many Palindromic numbers there are using 3 digits i.e between 000-999 which I calculated to be 100 palindromic numbers. The other part before this was the same but for 5 digits i.e 00000-99999 which i calculated to be 1000 palindromic numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that when there are n = 3 digits then the total number of palindromic numbers is:

N=10^(3-1) (where 3 is n)

and for n = 5 digits

N=10^(5-2)

I don't know how to relate these into a formula for N using n. I've tried a lot of things but nothing seems to work.

The first digit in a palindrome number cannot be zero, so for the 3 - digit palindrome numbers you have a total of 9 possibilities for the first and third digit (as each such number is a palindrome) and 10 possibilities for the second digit i.e. a total of ##9 \cdot 10 = 90## three - digit palindrome numbers. (Following the same logic can you see how many 5 - digit palindrome numbers are there?)

Now, consider the general case of an ##n## - digit palindrome number where ##n## is odd. Using the hint that the problem provides you can you see the pattern i.e. how the symmetry of a palindromic number constrains the possibilities and for how many digits of a such palindrome number? What about the number of digits left?

SamBull said:
You did just fine. Welcome to Physics Forums!

So you are not seeing the pattern. You see for n=3: n-1 =2, and n=5, n-2 = 3, so it doesn't seem to be a pattern. If you look at how palindromes are formed: for 3 digits, you have the first digit must equal the last digit, and the middle can be anything. So you have 10 for the first and 10 for the middle = 10x10 = 100.
For 5 digits, you have the first two digits must mirror the last two, so you have 10^2 = 100 for the first 2, and multiply by 10 for the middle. So you should not be subtracting, but adding (powers of 10). But you don't want to add the full n, because you are only using roughly half of the digits in the calculation.
Hopefully this hint points you in the right direction.

There can be debate about whether or not to use leading zeros. In regular numbers such as counting, you would not do it. But there are plenty of examples of where leading zeros are commonplace, such as ZIP codes, odometer readings or combination locks. You should definitely state that you considered leading zeros, or eliminated their possibility in your calculations.

Question 1: What is the process for converting a series into a formula?

The process for converting a series into a formula involves identifying the pattern or relationship between the terms in the series and then using algebraic equations to represent that pattern. This can involve finding common differences or ratios between terms, using summation notation, and solving for unknown variables.

Question 2: How do I identify the pattern in a series?

To identify the pattern in a series, you can look at the differences or ratios between consecutive terms. If the differences or ratios are consistent, then the series may follow a linear or geometric pattern. You can also look at the general trend of the terms in the series, such as increasing or decreasing values, to determine the pattern.

Question 3: Can a series have more than one possible formula?

Yes, a series can have multiple possible formulas depending on how the terms are related. For example, a series could follow a linear pattern with a formula of n + 1, or it could follow a quadratic pattern with a formula of n^2 + 1. It is important to carefully analyze the series to determine the most appropriate formula.

Question 4: What is the purpose of converting a series into a formula?

The purpose of converting a series into a formula is to have a concise and general representation of the series that can be used to predict and calculate any term in the series. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in modeling and forecasting.

Question 5: Can a series be converted into a formula if it has no obvious pattern?

Yes, a series can still be converted into a formula even if it does not have an obvious pattern. This may involve using more complex mathematical techniques, such as regression analysis or calculus, to determine the relationship between the terms. However, it is important to note that not all series can be accurately represented by a formula.