Product of Missing Digits in a Number

• Thread starter doggydan42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary: If you need more accuracy, you could repeat the process with the polynomial you get from the approximation.
doggydan42

Homework Statement

Five consecutive multiples of 8 have a 9-digit product of ##49xyz2160##. What is the value of ##x\cdot y \cdot z##?

Homework Equations

I am unsure of what equations would be relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried breaking the number into its parts: ##4\cdot 10^8+9\cdot 10^7+x\cdot 10^6+y\cdot 10^5+...+6\cdot 10##; though, I wasn't sure what I could do next.

I also realized that the 9-digit number must be divisible by ##8\cdot \frac{n!}{(n-5)!}## for some natural number n.

How would I go about solving this with mathematical rigor, and what would be the fastest way to solve it?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
doggydan42 said:

Homework Statement

Five consecutive multiples of 8 have a 9-digit product of ##49xyz2160##. What is the value of ##x\cdot y \cdot z##?

Homework Equations

I tried breaking the number into its parts: ##4\cdot 10^8+9\cdot 10^7+x\cdot 10^6+y\cdot 10^5+...+6\cdot 10##; though, I wasn't sure what I could do next.

I also realized that the 9-digit number must be divisible by ##8\cdot \frac{n!}{(n-5)!}## for some natural number n.

How would I go about solving this with mathematical rigor, and what would be the fastest way to solve it?

Thank you in advance.
It should be ##8^5 \cdot m## and ##(2\cdot 4\cdot 3 \cdot 5 )\,\vert \,m## because five consecutive numbers have to contain at least a ##2,3,4,5## as divisors. So we search for ##(8^6\cdot 15) \,\vert \, 49\ldots ##. Well, from here a brute force method works.

Edit: As ##2,3,4,5,6## and ##8,9,10,11,12## can be ruled out quickly, you also know, that ##7\,\vert \,m##, so ##8^6\cdot 105\,\vert \,49\ldots ## which leaves only a few possibilities.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
It should be ##8^5 \cdot m## and ##(2\cdot 4\cdot 3 \cdot 5 )\,\vert \,m## because five consecutive numbers have to contain at least a ##2,3,4,5## as divisors. So we search for ##(8^6\cdot 15) \,\vert \, 49\ldots ##. Well, from here a brute force method works.
doggydan42 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thank you in advance.
Call the middle number ##k##. Then the ##49xyz2160 = 8^5(k-2)(k-1)k(k+1)(k+2)##. I think you could multiple out the polynomial on the right and come up with a very simple and highly accurate approximation by dropping all except one term. Then you could solve for an approximate value of ##k##.

1. What is the product of missing digits in a number?

The product of missing digits in a number refers to the result obtained by multiplying all the missing digits in a given number. It is a mathematical concept used to find missing numbers in a sequence or pattern.

2. How do you calculate the product of missing digits in a number?

To calculate the product of missing digits in a number, you need to first identify the missing digits in the given number. Then, multiply all the missing digits together to get the final product. For example, if the number is 1230, the missing digits are 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. So, the product of missing digits would be 4*5*6*7*8*9 = 60480.

3. What is the significance of the product of missing digits in a number?

The product of missing digits in a number is often used in mathematical puzzles and games. It helps in developing critical thinking skills and improving mental math abilities. Additionally, it can also be used in real-life situations such as finding a missing number in a sequence or code.

4. Can the product of missing digits be negative?

No, the product of missing digits in a number cannot be negative. This is because when multiplying numbers, a negative number multiplied by a positive number will always result in a negative number. Since the missing digits in a number are always positive, the product will also be positive.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to quickly find the product of missing digits in a number?

Yes, there are some tricks that can help in quickly finding the product of missing digits in a number. For example, if the number ends with zero, all the missing digits will be multiples of 10. Similarly, if the number is a multiple of 9, the sum of its digits will also be a multiple of 9. These tricks can save time and effort in calculating the product of missing digits.