How do I solve a quadratic inequality using factoring?

Can you answer them on my profile page?Sure, I can answer them on your profile page. Just send me a message when you have them posted.
mathdad
Solve the inequality.

x^2 + 4x - 32 < 0

Factor LHS.

(x - 4) (x + 8) < 0

x - 4 = 0

x = 4

x + 8 = 0

x = -8

Plot x = 4 and x = -8 on a number line.

<--------(-8)----------(4)----------->

Pick a number from each interval.

Let x = -10 for (-infinity, -8).

Let x = 0 for (-8, 4).

Let x = 6 for (4, infinity).

Do I avaluate the chosen numbers per interval in the original question or the factored form (x - 4) (x + 8) < 0?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can look at the signs of each factor to determine the sign of the quadratic in a given interval containing a text value, and so determine if that interval is part of the solution. You really only need to evaluate one interval, and then use the fact that for roots of odd multiplicity, the original expression will change sign across that root, and for roots of even multiplicity, the expression won't change sign.

All of the roots in this problem are of odd multiplicity, so you know the sign of the expression will alternate across all intervals. :D

So, it is negative across all three intervals. I will continue later tonight or tomorrow. Going to work now.

RTCNTC said:
So, it is negative across all three intervals...

How did you make that determination?

I made a typo. The signs alternate across all three intervals. I will complete BOTH inequality questions tomorrow. Look for 5 questions (not math questions) through PM in 15 minutes.

Pick a number from each interval.

Let x = -10 for (-infinity, -8).

Let x = 0 for (-8, 4).

Let x = 6 for (4, infinity).

For x = -10, we get False.

For x = 0, we get True.

For x = 6, we get False.

We exclude the end points.

The solution to the original inequality is found in (-8, 4).

Correct?

Last edited:
Yes, we have a parabola opening upwards, and given that it has two real roots, we should expect to find it to be negative in between its roots. :D

Cool. Two more math questions later tonight.

1. What is a quadratic inequality?

A quadratic inequality is a mathematical expression that compares two quadratic expressions using an inequality symbol such as <, >, ≤, or ≥.

2. How do you graph a quadratic inequality?

To graph a quadratic inequality, first rewrite it in standard form, y = ax² + bx + c. Then, plot the quadratic function on a coordinate plane and shade the region that satisfies the inequality. Use a dashed line for < or > and a solid line for ≤ or ≥.

3. How do you solve a quadratic inequality algebraically?

To solve a quadratic inequality algebraically, first rewrite it in standard form. Then, use factoring, the quadratic formula, or completing the square to find the roots of the quadratic equation. These roots will divide the number line into three intervals. Test a value from each interval in the original inequality to determine the solution set.

4. Can a quadratic inequality have more than one solution?

Yes, a quadratic inequality can have multiple solutions. This is because a quadratic inequality involves a quadratic function, which has a U-shaped graph that can intersect the x-axis at two points or not at all.

5. How are quadratic inequalities used in real life?

Quadratic inequalities are used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics to model real-life situations. For example, they can be used to determine the maximum profit for a business, the optimal design for a bridge, or the maximum height a projectile can reach.