How Do I Solve These Rotational Dynamics Problems?

In summary, the cylinder is rotating about an axis that passes through the center of each circular end piece at an angular speed of 88.0 rad/s. A brake shoe presses against the surface of the cylinder and applies a tangential frictional force that reduces the angular speed of the cylinder by a factor of two during a time of 5.40 seconds.
Gimp
I have a couple questions could someone help? I tried everything and I just don't understand what's going on. Thank you sooo... much! :D

1)A cylinder is rotating about an axis that passes through the center of each circular end piece. The cylinder has a radius of 0.0600 m, an angular speed of 88.0 rad/s, and a moment of inertia of 0.850 kgm2. A brake shoe presses against the surface of the cylinder and applies a tangential frictional force to it. The frictional force reduces the angular speed of the cylinder by a factor of two during a time of 5.40 s.
(a) Find the magnitude of the angular deceleration of the cylinder.
(b) Find the magnitude of the force of friction applied by the brake shoe.

2)The crane shown in the drawing is lifting a 190 kg crate upward with an acceleration of 1.8 m/s2. The cable from the crate passes over a solid cylindrical pulley at the top of the boom. The pulley has a mass of 130 kg. The cable is then wound onto a hollow cylindrical drum that is mounted on the deck of the crane. The mass of the drum is 150 kg, and its radius is 0.76 m. The engine applies a counterclockwise torque to the drum in order to wind up the cable. What is the magnitude of this torque? Ignore the mass of the cable.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done?

Mainly it's the fact that I really don't understand this stuff at all. I tried different ways to look at it, but all of them don't make sense. I've been staring at this for hours now and still i can't get anything that makes sense, it's really frustrating. I know you guys don't show us how to do it if we don't have any work, but could you just guide me a certain way? I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Ok, let's begin with the first one. The average angular acceleration is the change in angular velocity divided by the time taken for that change. Once you get the average acceleration, you can find out the magnitude of the torque from the formula [tex] \tau = I\alpha [/tex]. And then, you can determine the force of friction applied from the formula [tex] r\times{F} = \tau [/tex]. I'll let you do the second one on your own.

Last edited:
Yep, so i took 88.0 rad/s and divded that by 5.4sec and got a angular acceleration of 16.3. Then took that times the I, and that equaled 13.85 for the torque. Now what formula do I use? Is it...

(Force * radius = I * angular acceleration) to find the Force applied to the brake?

and then how about angular decceleration is that any different? or is it just a negative sign in front of the 16.3 that i found before??

I got it! Thanks for your help! But can u guide me in a direction with the second one? PLEASE!

Last edited:

Related to How Do I Solve These Rotational Dynamics Problems?

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of rotational motion, particularly how objects rotate and move around a fixed axis.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis. Linear motion involves the concept of displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while rotational motion involves the concept of angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

3. What is torque and how does it relate to rotational dynamics?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. In rotational dynamics, torque is responsible for changing the angular momentum of an object.

4. How is angular momentum conserved in rotational dynamics?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. In rotational dynamics, angular momentum is conserved, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

5. How do we apply rotational dynamics in real-world situations?

Rotational dynamics has various real-world applications, such as understanding the motion of planets around the sun, the movement of gears in machinery, and the flight of objects like frisbees and boomerangs. It is also used in sports like figure skating and diving to improve performance and technique.