How do I solve this polynomial limit?

In summary: This case is easier. One blow up plus a second blow up is still an explosion. You only have to pay attention if terms seem to cancel each other. In such a case you have to look closer on the degree or speed of cancellation.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Same as the other thread I opened... this function is literally messing me up :)
$$\lim_{x \to +\infty }\sqrt{x^{2}-2x}-x+1$$
Relevant Equations
none
I'll write my considerations which lead me to get stuck on the ##\infty-\infty## form.
$$\lim_{x \to +\infty }\sqrt{x^{2}-2x}-x+1 \rightarrow |x|\sqrt{1-0}-x+1$$
And I have no idea on how to go on...

Physics news on Phys.org
You could rewrite it:
\begin{align*}
\lim_{x \to \infty}\left(\sqrt{x^2-2x}-x+1\right)&=\lim_{x \to \infty}\left(\sqrt{(x-1)^2-1}-(x-1)\right)\\&=\lim_{y \to \infty}\left(\sqrt{y^2-1}-y\right)\\
&=\lim_{y \to \infty}\left(\sqrt{y^2-1}-\sqrt{y^2}\right)
\end{align*}
and consider whether the difference between these two roots tend to zero or not.

Last edited:
[tex]\sqrt{x^2-2x}-x+1=\frac{x^2-2x-(x-1)^2}{\sqrt{x^2-2x}+x-1}[/tex]

Likes Mark44, greg_rack and Delta2
You almost did all the job.. Because we are taking the limit at ##x\to+\infty## , x is positive in a neighborhood of ##+\infty## thereforce you can replace ##|x|=x##.

Likes SammyS
Delta2 said:
You almost did all the job.. Because we are taking the limit at ##x\to+\infty## , x is positive in a neighborhood of ##+\infty## thereforce you can replace ##|x|=x##.
So we obtain that limit tending to 1, right? ##x-x+1## indeed... but it doesn't work and I can't get what's wrong

fresh_42 said:
and consider whether the difference between these two roots tend to zero or not.
Oh yes, it does tend to zero now, and that should be correct... but why was the ##x-x+1## wrong? All I did was simply take the ##x^2## out of the root

And what about the limit with ##x \to -\infty## of that same function? I'm stuck again, since the form now is ##\infty+\infty##

greg_rack said:
Oh yes, it does tend to zero now, and that should be correct... but why was the ##x-x+1## wrong? All I did was simply take the ##x^2## out of the root

And what about the limit with ##x \to -\infty## of that same function? I'm stuck again, since the form now is ##\infty+\infty##
You did more. You had ##x\sqrt{1-\dfrac{2}{x}}-x+1## and only let the ##2/x## term go to infinity, so you got indeed ##\infty-\infty+1## which could be any number.

• Informative
Likes greg_rack
fresh_42 said:
You did more. You had ##x\sqrt{1-\dfrac{2}{x}}-x+1## and only let the ##2/x## term go to infinity, so you got indeed ##\infty-\infty+1## which could be any number.
Thanks man, now I got what I was doing wrong!

From post #2 by @fresh_42,
$$\sqrt{y^2-1}-\sqrt{y^2}=\frac{\left(\sqrt{y^2-1}\right)^2-\left(\sqrt{y^2}\right)^2}{\sqrt{y^2-1}+\sqrt{y^2}}.$$Simplify the numerator and consider what happens to the denominator in the limit ##y \rightarrow \infty.##

Likes Delta2
greg_rack said:
This case is easier. One blow up plus a second blow up is still an explosion. You only have to pay attention if terms seem to cancel each other. In such a case you have to look closer on the degree or speed of cancellation. ##\infty - \infty## and ##\dfrac{\infty}{\infty}## are not defined, i.e. you have to transform the expression until they are either defined or you can otherwise come to a conclusion. E.g. if you take my transformation with the ##y## and combine it with the trick in post #3: ##\sqrt{...}-\sqrt{...}=\dfrac{\sqrt{...}^2-\sqrt{...}^2}{\sqrt{...}+\sqrt{...}}## then you get a form where it is clear how it behaves.

1. How do I identify the type of polynomial limit I am working with?

To identify the type of polynomial limit, you need to look at the highest degree of the polynomial and the value of the variable as it approaches infinity or a specific value. If the highest degree is in the numerator and the variable approaches infinity, it is a horizontal asymptote. If the highest degree is in the denominator and the variable approaches a specific value, it is a vertical asymptote.

2. What is the process for solving a polynomial limit?

The process for solving a polynomial limit involves factoring the polynomial, canceling out any common factors, and then plugging in the value of the variable. If the limit is indeterminate, you can use algebraic manipulation or L'Hopital's rule to simplify the expression and find the limit.

3. How do I determine if a polynomial limit exists?

A polynomial limit exists if the limit approaches a finite number as the variable approaches a specific value or infinity. If the limit approaches infinity or negative infinity, it does not exist. Additionally, if the limit has different values when approaching from the left and right sides of the specific value, it also does not exist.

4. Can I use a graph to solve a polynomial limit?

Yes, you can use a graph to solve a polynomial limit. Graphing the function can help you visualize the behavior of the function as the variable approaches a specific value or infinity. You can also use a graphing calculator to find the limit numerically.

5. Are there any special cases when solving a polynomial limit?

Yes, there are a few special cases when solving a polynomial limit. These include limits involving trigonometric functions, limits involving radicals, and limits involving logarithmic or exponential functions. In these cases, you may need to use special techniques or formulas to find the limit.