How do I use the four axioms of a neighborhood to define an open set?

learning physics
TL;DR Summary
How do I use the four axioms of a neighborhood to define an open set?
How do I define an open set using only the four axioms of topological neighborhoods, as per the Wikipedia article on topological spaces?

The intuitive definition of an open set is that it's a set of points on a real number line containing only points at which there is room for some hypothetical point-sized particle to move on either side.

I can see that an open set is defined as a neighborhood of all of its points, but how does this fit with the intuitive definition?

Suppose that we call a set of points that acts as a neighborhood of all of its points "The Big Neighborhood." Each point in The Big Neighborhood is contained in a neighborhood that is contained in The Big Neighborhood, which we'll call "smaller neighbrohoods." Each point in The Big Neighborhood is contained in a neighborhood that is contained in a smaller neighborhood. And so on.

So, I can see that each point in a neighborhood of all of its points is buried inside an infinite nest of smaller and smaller sets. But I don't see how this fits with the intuitive definition. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You better include a link to the reference that defines the four axioms you are talking about. I can't find what you are talking about in Wikipedia.

1. How do I use the axiom of non-emptiness to define an open set?

To use the axiom of non-emptiness to define an open set, you simply need to ensure that the open set contains at least one point in the neighborhood.

2. How do I use the axiom of closure under intersection to define an open set?

To use the axiom of closure under intersection to define an open set, you need to show that the intersection of any finite number of open sets in the neighborhood is also an open set in the neighborhood.

3. How do I use the axiom of closure under union to define an open set?

To use the axiom of closure under union to define an open set, you need to demonstrate that the union of any collection of open sets in the neighborhood is also an open set in the neighborhood.

4. How do I use the axiom of containment to define an open set?

To use the axiom of containment to define an open set, you need to ensure that every point in the open set is contained within the neighborhood.

5. How do I use the four axioms together to define an open set?

To define an open set using the four axioms of a neighborhood, you need to satisfy all four axioms simultaneously. This means ensuring non-emptiness, closure under intersection and union, and containment are all met within the defined open set.