How to define an open set using the four axioms of a neighborhood

learning physics
TL;DR Summary
How do I use the four axioms of a neighborhood to define an open set?
I am struggling to define an open set using the four axioms of a topological neighborhood, as per the Wikipedia article "Topological spaces."

An open set on a real number line is a set of points that contains only interior points, meaning that there is always room for some hypothetical particle to move either side of each point. Let's call this "the intuitive definition" of an open set.

An open set is defined as a neighborhood of all of its points, but I don't see how that would connect to the intuitive definition.

If a set of points is a neighborhood of all of its points, which we'll call The Large Neighborhood, it means that each point is contained in a neighborhood even smaller than The Large Neighborhood, which we'll call "small neighborhoods." Each point in The Large Neighborhood must also be contained in a neighborhood even smaller than the small neighborhoods, and so on. So, each point in The Large Neighborhood is buried underneath an infinite number of neighborhoods that are smaller than The Large Neighborhood. Still don't see how this connects to the intuitive definition.

Anyone care to help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try this guy's YouTube series:

learning physics said:
TL;DR Summary: How do I use the four axioms of a neighborhood to define an open set?

I am struggling to define an open set using the four axioms of a topological neighborhood, as per the Wikipedia article "Topological spaces."

An open set on a real number line is a set of points that contains only interior points, meaning that there is always room for some hypothetical particle to move either side of each point. Let's call this "the intuitive definition" of an open set.

State this formally: [itex]U \subset \mathbb{R}[/itex] is open if and only if for each [itex]x \in U[/itex] there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that [itex](x - \delta , x + \delta) \subset U[/itex]. (You can move up to [itex]\delta[/itex] away from [itex]x[/itex] in either direction without leaving [itex]U[/itex].)

An open set is defined as a neighborhood of all of its points, but I don't see how that would connect to the intuitive definition.

[itex](x - \delta, x + \delta)[/itex] is a neighbourhood of [itex]x[/itex].

1. What are the four axioms of a neighborhood?

The four axioms of a neighborhood are: 1) Every point has a neighborhood, 2) If a set contains a point, then it contains a neighborhood of that point, 3) If a set contains a neighborhood of a point, then it contains the point, and 4) If two sets intersect, then their neighborhoods also intersect.

2. How do you define an open set using the four axioms of a neighborhood?

An open set can be defined as a set in which every point has a neighborhood contained entirely within the set. This means that for every point in the set, there exists a neighborhood of that point that is also entirely contained within the set.

3. Why is it important to define open sets using the four axioms of a neighborhood?

Defining open sets using the four axioms of a neighborhood helps establish the fundamental properties of open sets in topology. This definition allows for a clear understanding of the concept of open sets and their role in defining topological spaces.

4. How do open sets relate to continuity in mathematics?

In mathematics, open sets play a crucial role in defining the concept of continuity. A function between two topological spaces is considered continuous if the preimage of every open set is open. This means that open sets help determine the continuity of functions in mathematical analysis.

5. Can you give an example of an open set defined using the four axioms of a neighborhood?

One example of an open set defined using the four axioms of a neighborhood is the open interval (0, 1) in the real number line. For every point x in the interval, there exists a neighborhood of x that is entirely contained within the interval, satisfying the definition of an open set.