How Do I Verify Stokes' Theorem for a Hemispherical Surface?

In summary, The conversation is about verifying Stokes' Theorem for a given vector and hemispherical surface. The conversation discusses the correct line integral and the cross product of two tangential vectors to the surface, which gives the unit normal vector. This is used to compute the surface integral and verify the theorem. The conversation also mentions potential textbooks for learning vector calculus.
Hoofbeat
Hi, I have this vector calculus question to do, and I can't seem to get it right! Could someone take a look for me?

=====
Q. The vector A(r) = (y,-x,z). Verify Stokes' Theorem for the hemispherical surface |r|=1, z>=0.

A. I considered, the line integral about the circle in the xy plane (All interior boundaries cancel). Use polar co-ordinates, take the integral of 2sintcost.dt from 0->2pi thus getting an answer of zero.

Then, find curl of A = -2k and dot this with the unit normal = -2. I know I now need to take the surface integral but I'm not sure how I proceed? Neither am I convinced I even understand what I'm doing!

Please help :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Who's "k"...?And why doesn't the unit normal have modulus =1...?

Daniel.

A. I considered, the line integral about the circle in the xy plane (All interior boundaries cancel). Use polar co-ordinates, take the integral of 2sintcost.dt from 0->2pi thus getting an answer of zero.

Firstly, this line integral is incorrect. The circle may be parametrised as (x, y, z) = (cosФ, sinФ, 0)
d/dФ (x, y, z) = (-sinФ, cosФ, 0)

So the line integral is:
Int{0 -> 2π} (y, -x, z) . (-sinФ, cosФ, 0) dФ
= Int{0 -> 2π} (sinФ, -cosФ, z) . (-sinФ, cosФ, 0) dФ
= Int{0 -> 2π} -1 dФ
= -2π

Then, find curl of A = -2k and dot this with the unit normal = -2. I know I now need to take the surface integral but I'm not sure how I proceed? Neither am I convinced I even understand what I'm doing!

The problem here is you're dotting curl(A) with the wrong unit vector (the one pointing in the k direction), when you should really be dotting it with the unit vector which is normal to the hemispherical surface.

The unit hemispherical surface may be parametrised as:

(x,y,z) = (sinθcosФ, sinθsinФ, cosθ)

(note that θ is the polar angle, Ф is the azimuthal angle)

let A = d/dθ (x,y,z) = (cosθcosФ, cosθsinФ, -sinθ)
let B = d/dФ (x,y,z) = (-sinθsinФ, sinθcosФ, 0)

A x B (cross product)
= (sin^2(θ)cosФ, sin^2(θ)sinФ, sinθcosθ)

and finally,
let C = curl(A) . (A x B) = (0,0,-2) . (sin^2(θ)cosФ, sin^2(θ)sinФ, sinθcosθ)
= -2sinθcosθ
= -sin2θ

Compute the double integral of C with limits θ: 0 -> π/2 and Ф: 0 -> 2π, and you get -2π as required, matching up with the result of the line integral previously calculated.

Last edited:
Thanks ever so much, that cleared up most of it for me, except there's one line in which I'm not entirely sure what you're doing and why:

s_a said:
let A = d/dθ (x,y,z) = (cosθcosФ, cosθsinФ, -sinθ)
let B = d/dФ (x,y,z) = (-sinθsinФ, sinθcosФ, 0)

A x B (cross product)
= (sin^2(θ)cosФ, sin^2(θ)sinФ, sinθcosθ)

I see how you have calculate A & B, but don't understand their relevance to the problem? Are you using them to calculate the unit normal? If so, could you explain to me why they give the unit normal when crossed together? Thanks :-p

Additionally, can anyone recommend a good Vector Calculus book for someone with limited understand of Vectors that goes through everything in detail with plenty of Physical Examples (ie. designed for a physicist rather than a mathmo?) Thanks

Last edited:
A and B are vectors which are both tangential (but not necessarily perpendicular to each other) to the surface of the hemisphere. A x B is a vector which is perpendicular to both A and B (and hence NORMAL to the hemispherical surface). The magnitude of A x B is the area of the parallelogram formed by putting the vectors A and B together (head to tail). So you can see that F . (A x B) dθdФ (where F is any vector field) is the component of F which is normal to the surface, multiplied by an infinitesimal area (formed by minature parallelograms superimposed on the surface). Integrate this over the appropriate limits for the variables θ and Ф to get the final answer. That's probably the best explanation I can give. :smile:

As far as textbooks for learning vector calculus go, I'm not aware of any physics oriented texts that go deeply into vector calculus most I've seen only superficially cover it (e.g. Griffiths). The text we used was "Calculus of vector functions" by Williamson, Trotter & Crowell (a pure maths oriented textbook - but still worth a look).

Last edited:

Related to How Do I Verify Stokes' Theorem for a Hemispherical Surface?

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the differentiation and integration of vector fields, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to every point in a given space. It can represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and electric or magnetic fields.

3. What is the purpose of vector calculus?

The purpose of vector calculus is to describe and analyze physical phenomena that involve quantities with both magnitude and direction. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How is vector calculus different from regular calculus?

Regular calculus deals with scalar quantities, which have only magnitude and no direction. Vector calculus, on the other hand, deals with vector quantities. It also involves operations such as dot and cross products, which are not present in regular calculus.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has many real-world applications, including calculating the motion of particles in space, predicting the flow of fluids, and analyzing electromagnetic fields. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3D images and animations.