How Do Phase Shifts and Path Differences Affect Interference in Soap Films?

In summary, when red light is directed normal to the surface of the soap film, the soap film appears black in reflected light. The thinnest the film can be is when m = 1.
fubag
[SOLVED] Interference in Soap films

Homework Statement

The sketch View Figure shows a thin film of soapy water of uniform thickness t and index of refraction n = 1.33 suspended in air. Consider rays 1 and 2 emerging from the film: Ray 1 represents the reflected wave at the air-film interface and ray 2 represents the wave that reflects off the lower surface of the film.

Which of the following statements correctly describes rays 1 and 2 and their path difference?
Check all that apply.

a.Ray 1 undergoes a half-cycle phase shift. Ray 2 does not undergo any phase shift.
b.Both rays 1 and 2 undergo a half-cycle phase shift.
c.Ray 2 undergoes a half-cycle phase shift. Ray 1 does not undergo any phase shift.
d.The path difference between rays 1 and 2 is about t.
e.There is no path difference between the two rays.
f.The path difference between rays 1 and 2 is about 2t.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1020409/16/1020409.jpg

Homework Equations

2nd = (m + 0.5) (lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is a 180 degree phase change at the first interface and no change at the second. Using my physics textbook it says with thickness d, for case of normal incidence, extra length is 2d.

I am still confused at what parts are true.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think the answers are b, and f

could someone please verify?

ok i solved the first part, but having difficulty with the 2nd part.

When red light is directed normal to the surface of the soap film, the soap film appears black in reflected light. What is thinnest the film can be?

Let lambda_0 be the wavelength of red light in air.

a. {lambda_0}/{2}
b. 3{lambda_0}/{5.32}
c. {lambda_0}/{2.66}
d. {lambda_0}/{1.33}
e. {lambda_0}/{4}

Ok so I know we have to find destructive interference which occurs according to 2nd = (m+ 0.5) lambda. So I have to solve for the wavelength of red light in this situation and then find the appropriate thickness it can be. I am having trouble with this one actually.

just a hunch but I thought about plugging in some numbers given in the problem:

2(1.33)d = (m + 0.5)(lamda)

d = ((m + 0.5)lamda)/(2.66)

if we move the 0.5 down, and assign m = 3 I get choice B = (3*lambda)/(5.32)

does this logic make sense? it seems to fit the equation?

fubag said:
ok i solved the first part, but having difficulty with the 2nd part.

When red light is directed normal to the surface of the soap film, the soap film appears black in reflected light. What is thinnest the film can be?

Let lambda_0 be the wavelength of red light in air.

a. {lambda_0}/{2}
b. 3{lambda_0}/{5.32}
c. {lambda_0}/{2.66}
d. {lambda_0}/{1.33}
e. {lambda_0}/{4}

Ok so I know we have to find destructive interference which occurs according to 2nd = (m+ 0.5) lambda.

The condition for this case will be

[tex]
2 n d = m \lambda_0
[/tex]

ok so using that... the thinnest it can be is when m = 1, and therefore

d = (lambda) / (2.66) ?

That looks right to me; does it make sense?

just curious then, the formula for constructive interference in a thin film is given by:
2nd = (m+0.5)lambda

and the destructive interference in a thin film is then given by:
2nd = m(lambda)

?

fubag said:
just curious then, the formula for constructive interference in a thin film is given by:
2nd = (m+0.5)lambda

and the destructive interference in a thin film is then given by:
2nd = m(lambda)

?

It depends on the number of phase reversals that take place due to reflection. (When light reflects from a material with a higher n than it has it undergoes a phase reversal, or a 180 degree phase shift.)

If there is one phase reversal, as there is here, then 2nd=m(lambda) is the destructive condition. If there is zero or two phase reversals, then 2nd=m(lambda) is the constructive condition.

(An example of two reversals would be a soap film on glass; the layers (air/soap/glass) would have indices (1/1.3/1.5). So the light that reflects off the soap undergoes a phase reversal, and the light that reflects off the glass also has a phase reversal.)

Related to How Do Phase Shifts and Path Differences Affect Interference in Soap Films?

1. What is interference in soap films?

Interference in soap films refers to the phenomenon where light waves reflecting off the top and bottom surfaces of a thin soap film interact with each other, resulting in bright and dark bands of color. This is due to the interference of light waves with different wavelengths, causing constructive and destructive interference.

2. What causes interference in soap films?

Interference in soap films is caused by the thin film being a quarter-wavelength thick, and the light waves reflecting off the top and bottom surfaces of the film being out of phase by 180 degrees. This results in constructive interference, where the waves add up and produce bright bands, and destructive interference, where the waves cancel out and produce dark bands.

3. How do soap films produce different colors?

The different colors produced in soap films are a result of the interference of light waves with different wavelengths. These waves interact with each other and produce a spectrum of colors, with shorter wavelengths (such as blue) being reflected at steeper angles and longer wavelengths (such as red) being reflected at shallower angles.

4. Can interference in soap films be observed without using soap?

Yes, interference can also be observed in other thin films, such as oil slicks, gasoline on water, or even a thin layer of water on a glass surface. However, soap films are the most commonly used due to their ease of production and control over thickness.

5. What are the practical applications of interference in soap films?

Interference in soap films has several practical applications, such as in quality control for thin films used in electronic devices, studying the properties of molecules and proteins, and creating colorful and unique artistic displays. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of light and its interactions with matter.