How do PID temp controllers implement control

In summary, the conversation is about building a snow heating mat using nichrome heating wires in silicone rubber controlled by an arduino and solid state relay. The group is trying to figure out how to control the temperature and is considering using a P or PID control, but it is suggested to use a simple proportional control with a deadband instead. The group is also provided with resources and recommendations for implementing this control.
Engn_sam
My group members and I are trying to build a snow heating mat. So far, we are using nichrome heating wires sandwiched in silicone rubber connected to an arduino that controls a solid state relay to turn on and off electric current from a wall plug. What I want to know is how to control the temperature. We decided to stick with an on and off control since it's the easiest to work out but I want to know how you implement a P or PID control. Do I need like a variable resistor or something? Or what way is the PID control supposed to vary the power output?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think PI or PID is justified for something like that. A simple proportional control wi a dead and will do.

You need the dead and to prevent it from cycling endlessly.

Here is the arduino PID library:
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/PIDLibrary

Here is an example using the library with a relay:
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/PIDLibraryRelayOutputExample

Background on the development of the arduino PID library:
http://brettbeauregard.com/blog/2011/04/improving-the-beginners-pid-introduction/

Some background on control theory:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory

If you google "arduino sous vide" you'll get many results where a relay, heater & PID* are used together with an arduino to maintain a temperature setpoint.

*While a PID controller is used, I & D are set to zero so it's P only. like anorlunda recommends.

Likes BvU
anorlunda said:
I don't think PI or PID is justified for something like that. A simple proportional control wi a dead and will do.

You need the dead and to prevent it from cycling endlessly.
What's a dead and. and is it safe to use a proportional control with a solid-state relay

With on-off control, you need deadband to prevent endless cycling. With deadband, you can't use integral control, because that would cycle.

All you need is two statements. Let T be temperature, P set point, and D deadband.

if P-T > D then turn_on;
If T-P > D then turn_off;

D is your only tuning parameter.

Good luck.

What is a PID temp controller and how does it work?

A PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) temp controller is a device that is used to control the temperature of a system by adjusting the output of a heating or cooling element. It uses a feedback loop to continuously monitor and adjust the temperature to maintain a setpoint. The controller calculates the error between the setpoint and the actual temperature, and uses a combination of proportional, integral, and derivative control to adjust the output and bring the temperature back to the setpoint.

What is the difference between proportional, integral, and derivative control?

Proportional control takes into account the difference between the setpoint and the actual temperature and adjusts the output proportionally. Integral control continuously sums the error over time and adjusts the output based on the accumulated error. Derivative control looks at the rate of change of the error and adjusts the output to prevent overshooting the setpoint. Together, these three control methods work to maintain a stable and accurate temperature control.

How do PID temp controllers implement control?

PID temp controllers use a microprocessor or microcontroller to execute a control algorithm that calculates the appropriate output based on the measured error and the setpoint. The controller also has a user interface to allow for setting the desired temperature and adjusting the control parameters. The output of the controller is sent to a heating or cooling element, such as a heating coil or a refrigeration unit, to adjust the temperature.

What are the benefits of using a PID temp controller?

PID temp controllers offer precise and accurate temperature control, making them ideal for applications where temperature stability is critical, such as in laboratory experiments or industrial processes. They also have the ability to adapt to changing conditions and maintain a stable temperature, making them more efficient and reducing energy costs. Additionally, the control parameters can be adjusted to optimize performance for different systems and environments.

Are there any limitations to using PID temp controllers?

PID temp controllers may not be suitable for applications where the temperature needs to be changed rapidly, as it may take some time for the controller to adjust the output and reach the new setpoint. They also rely on accurate and consistent temperature measurements to function properly, so any variations or errors in the sensor readings can affect the performance of the controller. Additionally, the control parameters may need to be fine-tuned for different systems and environments to achieve optimal performance.