How do power-up a garbage disposal with 12 volts

• Thread starter Margaritaman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volts
In summary, the person is trying to power a 3/4 hp garbage disposal with a 1000 w power inverter but it keeps tripping the overload relay. They are wondering if there is a way to reduce the electric draw during start-up to avoid tripping the breaker. They have been advised that the motor may have a current spike of up to 600% and they may need a 2500-3000w inverter to handle the surge.
Margaritaman
Thanks to all who will humor me with a serious answer. Solving my problem won't save the world but it will be fun.

I am using a 3/4 hp garbage disposal to operate a mobile blender. The unit specs at 8.1 amps and is an induction motor. I have to use this unit because the lesser units do not have stainless steel mechanism and would be a health hazard. I want to be able to plug the unit into a normal 110 outlet when stationary and be able to operate the motor while mobile.

I have tried running a 1000 w power inverter which according to my simple calculations should be more than enough to power the motor. It simply keeps tripping the overload relay.

My question is, is there a relatively simple way to reduce the electric draw required by the motor at start-up so as to not trip the breaker? I understand a simple dimmer-type devise will not work on an induction motor.

I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
keep in mind that motors will have a current spike on start up (as much as 600%). is the power inverter you have 1000w peak or sustained?

so at 8.1FLA, your 3/4Hp motor starting under load could generate 48.6A. this would undoubtedly trip your overload (at 5346w max). most inverters are not designed to withstand the punch of a motor like that.

your probably looking at a 2500-3000w inverter to take the surge.

Related to How do power-up a garbage disposal with 12 volts

1. How do I power-up a garbage disposal with 12 volts?

To power-up a garbage disposal with 12 volts, you will need to use a power source with a voltage of 12 volts. This can be achieved by using a power supply or battery pack that outputs 12 volts. Make sure to check the voltage requirements of your specific garbage disposal model before attempting to power it with 12 volts.

2. Can I use any type of 12-volt power source to power-up my garbage disposal?

No, you should only use a power source that is specifically designed to output 12 volts. Using a different voltage or an incompatible power source can damage your garbage disposal and pose a safety hazard.

3. Is it safe to power-up a garbage disposal with 12 volts?

As long as you use a 12-volt power source that is compatible with your garbage disposal, it is safe to power it up with 12 volts. However, always exercise caution when working with electricity and make sure to follow proper safety guidelines.

4. What are the benefits of powering-up a garbage disposal with 12 volts instead of the standard 120 volts?

The main benefit of using 12 volts to power your garbage disposal is energy efficiency. 12-volt systems use less energy compared to 120-volt systems, which can result in cost savings over time. Additionally, using 12 volts may be more convenient if you are using a portable power source such as a battery pack.

5. Can I convert my garbage disposal to run on 12 volts if it currently runs on 120 volts?

In most cases, it is not recommended to convert a garbage disposal from 120 volts to 12 volts. This would require extensive modifications and may not be safe or effective. It is best to use the power source that is recommended by the manufacturer for your specific garbage disposal model.