How Do SU(3) Tensors Decompose into Irreducible Components?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to check the reducibility and irreducibility of tensors in a decomposition. The method proposed involves contracting the tensor with invariant tensors, such as the Kronecker delta and epsilon tensors. The conversation also mentions the use of Young Tableaux as a more elegant method for these types of computations.
PineApple2
Suppose that in the tensor component ##T^a_b ## the upper index is the ## \bf{3}## component and the lower index is the ##\bf{\bar{3}} ## component. To be concrete, consider the decomposition
[tex]
u^iv_j= \left( u^iv_j-\frac{1}{3}\delta^i_j u^kv_k \right) +\frac{1}{3}\delta^i_j u^kv_k
[/tex]
which corresponds to
[tex]
\bf{3}\otimes\bf{\bar{3}}=\bf{8}\oplus\bf{1}
[/tex]
I want to see that indeed the transformation of ##u^iv_j ## is reducible, but the transformations of ## \left( u^iv_j-\frac{1}{3}\delta^i_j u^kv_k \right)## and ##\left(\frac{1}{3}\delta^i_j u^kv_k \right) ## are irreducible. My thought was to contract each of the supposedly irreducible tensors with the only possible invariant tensors, namely ##\delta^i_j ##, ##\epsilon^{ijk} ##, ##\epsilon_{ijk} ##, and to see that in each case I get zero, which means there are no invariant subspaces. So, taking ## \left( u^iv_j-\frac{1}{3}\delta^i_j u^kv_k \right)##
[tex]
\delta^j_i \left( u^iv_j-\frac{1}{3}\delta^i_j u^kv_k \right) = u^iv_i - \frac{1}{3}\delta^i_i u^kv_k =0
[/tex]
is that a correct way to check irreducibility? and if so, how do I check this for ##\epsilon^{ijk} ## and ##\epsilon_{ijk} ##?

Hi - yes you are along the right lines. Just remember that anything contracted over all the indices of epsilon will be a singlet because of the determinant condition on SU(n) groups... and that all tensors can be decomposed into a symmetric and an antisymmetric part...(without giving away the answer oops).

However there is another way of doing these types of computation that is much more elegant - have you looked into Young Tableaux?

Related to How Do SU(3) Tensors Decompose into Irreducible Components?

What is an irreducible SU(3) tensor?

An irreducible SU(3) tensor is a type of tensor that is used in the study of SU(3) symmetry in quantum mechanics. It is a mathematical object that describes the properties of particles and their interactions in a way that is consistent with the symmetries of SU(3) group.

What are the properties of irreducible SU(3) tensors?

Irreducible SU(3) tensors have two important properties: they transform under the SU(3) group in a predictable way, and they are invariant under this transformation. This means that they can be used to describe physical quantities that are conserved under SU(3) symmetry.

Why are irreducible SU(3) tensors important in physics?

Irreducible SU(3) tensors are important in physics because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles and their interactions within the context of SU(3) symmetry. They are used in various areas of physics, including particle physics, nuclear physics, and quantum mechanics.

How are irreducible SU(3) tensors related to other types of tensors?

Irreducible SU(3) tensors are a special type of tensor that is related to other types of tensors, such as symmetric and antisymmetric tensors. They can be decomposed into a linear combination of these other tensors, which allows for a more compact and efficient representation of physical quantities.

What are some examples of irreducible SU(3) tensors?

Some examples of irreducible SU(3) tensors include the Gell-Mann matrices, which are used to describe the properties of quarks within the context of SU(3) symmetry, and the Wigner-Eckart theorem, which relates irreducible tensors to their associated matrix elements. Other examples include the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients and the Racah coefficients, which are used to calculate the coupling between different irreducible tensors.