How do thermoelectrics work?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a thermoelectric generator and the role of heat flow and temperature difference in generating electricity. The purpose of the thermoelectric device was also questioned, with one possibility being its use as a thermoelectric cooling device. The conversation also touched on the possibility of using the device for temperature differential measurements.
hartmantc
I understand that a current is generated when electrons move from an n type to a p type semiconductor. However, is this due to heat flowing through the system, or a temperature difference on either side of the thermoelectric generator?

I know at first these sound like the same thing, but I am working on a design where heat flow would be diverted around the thermoelectric in a thermal conductor, effectively "shorting" the system. This way almost no heat would flow through the TEG, but there would be a temperature difference between the sides of the system. So, will a thermoelectric generator with limited heat flowing through it but with a temperature difference between its hot side and cold side generate electricity?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hartmantc said:
So, will a thermoelectric generator with limited heat flowing through it but with a temperature difference between its hot side and cold side generate electricity?
I'm not sure what you mean by "limited heat flowing through it" but I am pretty sure the electricity generated would be relative to the difference of temperature "allowed" to flow through the generator. The temperatures on either side are the only relevant value for electricity generated, maintaining those temperatures are relative to maintaining a current.

Yes I have read those, but they are a bit ambiguous. They consistently mention a temperature difference being the driving force. But then the comparison is made between thermoelectrics and a heat engine, which required heat flow to do work.
I'm also confused by what you mean by temperature to flow through the generator. Temperature cannot flow, only heat, where temperature is the result of heat flow.

To try to clarify what I mean by limited heat flow, imagine a thermally conductive piece of metal with a thermoelectric encased in it. Thermoelectric are thermal insulators. Heat therefore would flow through the path of least resistance around the insulator and through the conductive metal. However, a temperature difference between the sides of the thermoelectric would still be established.

hartmantc said:
Yes I have read those, but they are a bit ambiguous. They consistently mention a temperature difference being the driving force. But then the comparison is made between thermoelectrics and a heat engine, which required heat flow to do work.
I'm also confused by what you mean by temperature to flow through the generator. Temperature cannot flow, only heat, where temperature is the result of heat flow.

To try to clarify what I mean by limited heat flow, imagine a thermally conductive piece of metal with a thermoelectric encased in it. Thermoelectric are thermal insulators. Heat therefore would flow through the path of least resistance around the insulator and through the conductive metal. However, a temperature difference between the sides of the thermoelectric would still be established.
Heat engines also require temperature differences. Indeed, heat flow requires temperature differences. Do you think heat flow and temperature differences are independent of each other?

Yes I understand this. In the design, we will have a thermal resistor, the thermoelectric, in parallel with a thermal conductor, a metal. If I draw an equivalent circuit, we will have a large resistor (TE) in parallel with a small resistor (metal). Heat will flow primarily through the small resistor, and there will be limited heat flow directly through the thermoelectric. That being said, there will still be a temperature difference between the two sides of the thermoelectric due to heat transferred through the metal.

So, the I don't understand your question. Using the electric analogy, if you have a voltage across a resistance, the current will be I=V/R. If you put a smaller resistance in parallel with that, the current doesn't change. It is still I=V/R.

hartmantc said:
a temperature difference between the two sides of the thermoelectric
What is the purpose of the thermoelectric device? Is it to generate electricity or is it's purpose to sense the temperature difference of the hot and cold sides?

Generally, it is viewed as an electric generating device but if a voltmeter is placed in the circuit and calibrated correctly it might be used for a temperature differential measurement but I am not aware of any specific cases where this has been done (but I only have a limited exposure to the current applications of this device). This device is more commonly being used as a thermoelectric cooling device.

JBA said:
This device is more commonly being used as a thermoelectric cooling device.
That was my only thought that made sense, as in perhaps intercooling high demand lithium cells?

1. How do thermoelectrics work?

Thermoelectrics work by converting heat energy into electrical energy, and vice versa. This is possible due to the Seebeck effect, which is the ability of certain materials to generate a voltage difference when there is a temperature difference between the two ends of the material.

2. What are the key components of a thermoelectric device?

The key components of a thermoelectric device are the thermoelectric materials, which are typically made of semiconductor materials, and the heat exchangers, which are used to maintain the temperature difference needed for the device to function.

3. How are thermoelectric materials selected?

Thermoelectric materials are selected based on their ability to efficiently convert heat energy into electrical energy and vice versa. This is determined by their thermoelectric properties, such as the Seebeck coefficient, electrical conductivity, and thermal conductivity.

4. What are the applications of thermoelectric technology?

Thermoelectric technology has a wide range of applications, including waste heat recovery, cooling and heating systems, power generation for remote or portable devices, and temperature sensing and control.

5. What are the advantages of using thermoelectric devices?

Thermoelectric devices have several advantages, including their compact size, solid-state nature, and lack of moving parts, making them more reliable and durable than traditional heat engines. They also have the potential for high efficiency and can operate in a wide range of temperatures.