How do two springs act as a simple harmonic oscillator in a spring-mass system?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a spring-mass system and the proof that the system acts as a simple harmonic oscillator. The solution involves finding the extent of each spring and equating the two spring forces to find the total extent, which leads to the equation for simple harmonic oscillations. The conversation ends with the poster thanking the person who helped them solve the problem.
Mkbul
Hello forum. Panhellenic exams begin in less than 10 days and stress is slowly but steadily been overtaking me these last few months. I've been solving problems out of a physics book, and i got stuck in one which involves mechanical oscillations (spring-mass system).

1. Homework Statement

LtixFVj.png

A small body of mass m is at rest hanging by ideal massless spring k1. Another ideal massless spring, k2, is tied to k1, and is hanging by the immovable ceiling. At some point, we move the body downwards by a distance d and at t=0 we let it move freely. Prove that the two springs act as a simple harmonic oscillator and calculate the constant of the restoring elastic force.

Homework Equations

:[/B]
∑F = -kx = -mω2x

The Attempt at a Solution

The usual method of tackling this kind of question is to take the spring-mass system in it's state of equillibrium, end up with an equation and then take the body in a random location during the oscillation and express ∑F in the form -kx with the help of the equation found. However, in this case, with the two springs, we have two forces from the springs, and their reactions (say F1 from the k1 spring and F2 for the k2 spring.). In the equillibrium, F1 is applied to the body and the edge of the k1 spring. The k2 spring is pulling the k1 spring upward and the reaction is forcing the immovable ceiling downwards (not that it's important for the solution).

Since with the help of jbriqqs444 i solved the problem, i figured i should edit with the solution so people can see it if they are interested:

4. The Solution:
For the body:
∑F=0 ⇔ F1=Wm ⇔ k1Δl=mg

Where Δl is the distance from where the spring wants to be.

Since the net force on the point the two springs intersect is zero, we can find, by equating the two spring forces, the different extents. So, at the meeting point:
∑F=0 ⇔ F1=F2 ⇔ k1Δl1=k2Δl2. But we already know that: k1Δl1=mg. So we got those two equations now.
We can also say that the total extent of both springs is: Δl=Δl1+Δl2⇔Δl=F1/k1+F2/k2⇔F1=[(k1k2)/(k1+k2)]Δl.

Which means that for the mass: ∑F=0⇔[(k1k2)/(k1+k2)]Δl=mg
Suppose we now take the system in a random location, and let's choose as the positive direction the direction of dislocation x. Then for the body:
∑F=-[(k1k2)/(k1+k2)](Δl+x)+mg=-(k1k2)/(k1+k2)Δl - [(k1k2)/(k1+k2)]x+mg = -[(k1k2)/(k1+k2)]x

That's what we wanted to prove. The body is doing simple harmonic oscillations with K=[(k1k2)/(k1+k2)]

I am really sorry if some of the terms i use are wrong. In Greece we use different notation and different expressions for physics problems. Thanks a million for any replies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the dot in the drawing where the springs meet. That point is massless. If its acceleration is finite, it follows that the net force acting on that point is zero. Write that fact down as an equation. It may help to invent variables x1 and x2 for the extent of springs 1 and 2 respectively.

Likes Mkbul
Interesting thought. If the net force is zero then i can find, by equating the two spring forces the different extents. So, at the meeting point:
∑F=0 ⇔ F1=F2 ⇔ k1Δl1=k2Δl2. But we already know from my equation that: k1Δl1=mg. So we got those two equations now.
We can also say that the total extent of both springs is: Δl=Δl1+Δl2⇔Δl=F1/k1+F2/k2⇔F1=[(k1k2)/(k1+k2)]Δl.

Which means that for the mass: ∑F=0⇔[(k1k2)/(k1+k2)]Δl=mg

Suppose we now take the system in a random location, and let's choose as the positive direction the direction of dislocation x. Then for the body:
∑F=-[(k1k2)/(k1+k2)](Δl+x)+mg=-(k1k2)/(k1+k2)Δl - [(k1k2)/(k1+k2)]x+mg = -[(k1k2)/(k1+k2)]x

And yes, that's what we wanted to prove. The body is doing simple harmonic oscillations with K=[(k1k2)/(k1+k2)]

Thanks a lot for the help mate. This wouldn't be possible without you. I am going to update the main post with the solution so people will be able to see it.

What is a Two-Spring Mass System?

A Two-Spring Mass System is a physical system that consists of two springs attached to a mass that can move freely in one dimension. The two springs are connected to each other and to a fixed point, creating a system with two degrees of freedom.

What factors affect the behavior of a Two-Spring Mass System?

The behavior of a Two-Spring Mass System is affected by several factors, including the stiffness of the springs, the mass of the object, the initial conditions (position and velocity), and any external forces acting on the system.

What is the equation of motion for a Two-Spring Mass System?

The equation of motion for a Two-Spring Mass System is a second-order linear differential equation with constant coefficients. It can be written as: F = -kx - k'y + ma, where F is the net force on the mass, k and k' are the spring constants, x and y are the displacements of the mass from their equilibrium positions, and m is the mass of the object.

What is the natural frequency of a Two-Spring Mass System?

The natural frequency of a Two-Spring Mass System is the frequency at which the system oscillates without any external forces acting on it. It is determined by the stiffness of the springs and the mass of the object, and can be calculated using the equation: ω = √(k/m).

How does the behavior of a Two-Spring Mass System change when the springs are connected in series or in parallel?

When the two springs in a Two-Spring Mass System are connected in series, their effective stiffness is equal to the sum of their individual stiffness. This results in a higher natural frequency and a stiffer system. When the springs are connected in parallel, their effective stiffness is reduced, resulting in a lower natural frequency and a more flexible system.