How do varying forces on a massless rope affect tension?

• Thread starter ForceBoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, a massless rope is being pulled from both ends with different forces of 10N and 5N. This results in a net force on the rope, causing it to accelerate towards the end with the larger force. The tension in the rope is not affected by its mass and would be the same throughout, regardless of the forces applied at each end. However, if a mass was placed in the middle of the rope, the tension would vary on either side of it, resulting in a net force on the mass and an acceleration of the system.
ForceBoy
Σ

Homework Statement

A massless rope is pulled at from both ends. At end A, the force applied is a pull of 10N. On end B, the force applied is a pull of 5N. What is the tension of the rope?

Homework Equations

a=ΣF/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the rope would accelerate towards point A. What I don't understand is how you find the tension. Up until now I have only seen tension problems where the force applied at both ends is the same. It is easy to understand that the tension would be the same throuought the rope.
If I had to guess, I would say that tension at point A is 5 N towards point B. On B it would be 10 N towards point A. This means the rope would have two different tensions. This can't be.

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot have a net force on a massless object. It would violate Newton's second law. In the limit of the mass going to zero, the tension would vary throughout the rope, but the acceleration would tend to infinity.

ForceBoy said:
If I had to guess, I would say that tension at point A is 5 N towards point B. On B it would be 10 N towards point A. This means the rope would have two different tensions. This can't be.
First of all, tension does not have a direction (it is actually the one-dimensional equivalent of the stress tensor, so technically it has two directions but this is besides the point and not helpful to think about at this stage). Second, the tension would vary the same way throughout the rope if it had any non-zero mass so in the limit of the mass going to zero, the tension would not be affected. You could therefore find this limit by considering a massive rope.

Likes Charles Link
IMO, this one makes no sense unless you include a mass in the middle of the rope. If A is on the left, and B on the right, there would be an acceleration to the left. In addition, the tension in the rope to the left of the mass would be 10 N and the tension in the rope to the right of the mass would be 5 N. The mass would have a net force on it of 5 N and the system would accelerate with ## a=5 N/m ##.

What is the "Difference of Tensions" theory?

The "Difference of Tensions" theory is a scientific concept that explains the interaction between different forces or tensions within a system. It suggests that when two opposing forces are present, such as tension and compression, the difference between the two forces creates a state of equilibrium within the system.

How does the "Difference of Tensions" theory apply to real-world situations?

This theory can be observed in a variety of natural and man-made systems, such as bridges, buildings, and even our own bodies. In these situations, the difference between the forces acting on the system determines its stability and potential for movement.

What factors affect the "Difference of Tensions" in a system?

The factors that influence the "Difference of Tensions" in a system can vary depending on the specific situation. Some common factors include the strength and direction of the forces involved, the materials and structure of the system, and external factors such as temperature and external forces.

What are the potential consequences of an imbalanced "Difference of Tensions" in a system?

If the "Difference of Tensions" in a system becomes too great, it can result in instability and potential failure. For example, if a bridge experiences a higher tension on one side than the other, it could collapse or become damaged. Similarly, if our muscles experience imbalanced tension, it can lead to strain or injury.

How does the "Difference of Tensions" theory relate to other scientific principles?

The "Difference of Tensions" theory is closely related to other scientific principles, such as Newton's Third Law of Motion and the concept of equilibrium. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, biomechanics, and physics, making it an important concept in understanding the behavior of various systems.