How do we deduce that there is such a point?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary: Continuity means that the function is continuous on a certain interval. So by continuity, we know that $y(x)$ is continuous on at least that interval.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Let $k(x)$ and $g(x)$ be continuous functions such that $k(x)>0, 1 \leq g(x) \leq 10$. Show that the problem $ y'(x)=g(x)-k(x)y^2(x), y(0)=0(\star) $ has a global solution.

We firtsly show that if the solution exists then for all $x>0$ it holds $0< y(x) \leq 10 x$.

Indeed , since $y(0)=0$, so $y'(0)=g(0)>0$ and there is a $x_0>0$ such that $y(x)>0$ at $(0,x_0)$.How do we deduce that there is a $x_0>0$ such that $y(x)>0$ at $(0,x_0)$? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Let $k(x)$ and $g(x)$ be continuous functions such that $k(x)>0, 1 \leq g(x) \leq 10$. Show that the problem $ y'(x)=g(x)-k(x)y^2(x), y(0)=0(\star) $ has a global solution.

We firtsly show that if the solution exists then for all $x>0$ it holds $0< y(x) \leq 10 x$.

Indeed , since $y(0)=0$, so $y'(0)=g(0)>0$ and there is a $x_0>0$ such that $y(x)>0$ at $(0,x_0)$.

Did you mean on $(0,x_0)$? As in, on the interval? I'm going to assume you meant this in the rest of my reply.

How do we deduce that there is a $x_0>0$ such that $y(x)>0$ at $(0,x_0)$? (Thinking)

You would need to prove that $y(x)$ is continuous on at least $(0,x_0)$, if not $[0,x_0]$. You've got $y'(0)>0$, so $y(x)$ must "start out" by increasing.

Ackbach said:
Did you mean on $(0,x_0)$? As in, on the interval? I'm going to assume you meant this in the rest of my reply.

Yes, I meant on the interval. (Nod)

Ackbach said:
You would need to prove that $y(x)$ is continuous on at least $(0,x_0)$, if not $[0,x_0]$. You've got $y'(0)>0$, so $y(x)$ must "start out" by increasing.

Why would it suffice to show that $y(x)$ is continuous on at least $(0,x_0)$? Could you explain it further to me? (Thinking)

Related to How do we deduce that there is such a point?

1. How do we determine the existence of a specific point in scientific research?

The existence of a specific point in scientific research is typically deduced through a combination of observation, experimentation, and data analysis. Scientists carefully observe natural phenomena or conduct experiments to collect data, which is then analyzed using mathematical or statistical methods to determine if a specific point exists.

2. What methods do scientists use to deduce the existence of a point?

Scientists use a variety of methods, including deductive reasoning, inductive reasoning, and hypothesis testing, to deduce the existence of a point. Deductive reasoning involves starting with a general theory or principle and then applying it to specific observations to draw a conclusion. Inductive reasoning involves using specific observations to form a general theory or hypothesis. Hypothesis testing involves creating a hypothesis and then conducting experiments or gathering data to test its validity.

3. How do we know that our deductions about a specific point are accurate?

Scientists use a rigorous process of peer review and replication to ensure the accuracy of their deductions. Peer review involves having other experts in the field review and critique the research methods and findings. Replication involves repeating the experiment or study to ensure that the results are consistent and reliable.

4. Can multiple deductions be made about the same point?

Yes, it is possible for multiple deductions to be made about the same point in scientific research. This is because science is an ever-evolving field and new evidence and data can lead to different interpretations or explanations for a specific point. Scientists often use multiple deductions to build upon and refine existing theories.

5. Are there any limitations to deducing the existence of a point in scientific research?

Yes, there are limitations to deducing the existence of a point in scientific research. These limitations can include incomplete or biased data, limitations in technology or resources, and the complexity of natural phenomena. It is important for scientists to acknowledge and address these limitations in order to accurately deduce the existence of a point.