How do we explain electrical resistivity and heat.

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of classical theories in explaining resistivity and the role of quantum physics in providing more accurate explanations. The conversation also touches on the concept of electrical heating in resistors and the factors that contribute to it, such as the material and thickness of the resistor. The idea of electrons being knocked out of their stable orbits and emitting heat as they return to lower energy levels is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a link for further reading on the topic.
Naty1
I was looking in my old physics text in connection with another thread and the text said high speed electron collisions and slow speed drift of electrons with an applied electric field don't explain resistivity very well...yielding resistivities 100 times or more than observed.

The electrons do not make as many collisions as classical theory predicts. Theories based on quantum physics agree well with experiment. Classical theory predicts correctly that metals obey ohms law, buit cannot rpedict the numerical value of resistivity.

For a plain old resistor, not an exotic semiconductor or such, what's an explanation resistance and associated electrical heating?

Also, I noticed tungsten has only 3.3 times the resistivity of copper...so why does it get so hot?? Basically because we make it so thin in filament bulbs? R = p[l/A]??

Physics news on Phys.org
I should have added "classical explanations of " to my post:
and the text said classical explanations of high speed electron collisions and slow speed drift of electrons...

It seems that normal high speed electron collisions continue to occur (this would be a classical view) when an electric potential is applied and a slow speed electron drift results from the applied potential...but there must be something that changes dramatically when a potential is applied as significant heat is typically produced. Maybe electrons are being knocked further out of their typically stable orbits in a resistor? and give off radiation (heat) as they return to lower energy orbits??

This looks like what I was trying to figure out...will log it here for future reference:

http://tau.nanophys.kth.se/cmp/hall/node1.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How do we explain electrical resistivity and heat.

1. What is electrical resistivity?

Electrical resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electrical current. It is a property that is dependent on the material's composition, temperature, and physical structure.

2. How is electrical resistivity related to heat?

Electrical resistivity and heat are closely related because as the temperature of a material increases, its resistivity also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms in the material vibrate more and make it more difficult for electrons to flow through, resulting in increased resistance.

3. How do we measure electrical resistivity?

Electrical resistivity is typically measured using an instrument called a ohmmeter, which applies a known voltage to a material and measures the resulting current. The resistivity can then be calculated using Ohm's Law: R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current.

4. What factors affect the electrical resistivity of a material?

The electrical resistivity of a material is affected by several factors, including the material's composition, temperature, and physical structure. Additionally, the presence of impurities and defects in the material can also affect its resistivity.

5. How do we use electrical resistivity in practical applications?

Electrical resistivity plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits, power transmission systems, and electrical heating systems. It is also used in materials testing and quality control, as well as in the study of materials' properties and behavior under different conditions.