How do we technically define emotion in singing?

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emotion
In summary, emotion in singing is largely a subjective experience that is based on individual preferences.
Skhandelwal
Sometimes, people can be singing pretty good, but they don't have any emotion in the song. and sometimes, people sing pretty pathetic, but they got so much emotion in it, that we still like it. I was wondering, what is emotion in singing technically?

Am I being clear?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you assume we have the conceptual tools that are precise enough to distinguish between "emotion in singing" or not?

Precision is NOT a natural characteristic about human perception, perceptive "adequacy" is what natural selection pre-occupies itself with.

Any precision level beyond that becomes progressively more difficult for us to attain.

Might as well ask what affect emotion has on normal speaking, because the indicators of emotion in any uttering is probably the same.

I believe they are exaggerations in pitch and tempo mostly.

I didn't mean to ridicule your question, but only to point out that we don't have the sufficient tools by which we may provide an answer.

We FEEL, in some vague way, when someone sings with emotion or not, and that feeling of ours might well have somewhat different triggers in different individuals.

Music carries no emotion. People who listen to music may or may not experience an emotion (hormonal release) that is evoked by the music they hear.

Skhandelwal said:
Sometimes, people can be singing pretty good, but they don't have any emotion in the song. and sometimes, people sing pretty pathetic, but they got so much emotion in it, that we still like it. I was wondering, what is emotion in singing technically?

Am I being clear?
You're being clear enough. Bob Dylan had (has) a very nasal irritating voice, but his poetry, inflection, and phrasing made him a mega-star. Neil Young's voice is nothing to write home about, but he's done very well. Axl Rose and Jon Bon Jovi sing like rusty hinges, and neither one of them can keep my attention for more than a couple of seconds. I wouldn't walk across the street to see Wayne Newton or Paul Anka for free, though, despite their vocal abilities. People like Celine Dionne and Mariah Carey leave me cold, too. Technically good, but no soul. If you want to listen to a female vocalist who is technically very proficient, and sings from her heart, get "Babes in the Woods" or "No Frontiers" by Mary Black. She doesn't write her songs, but chooses those that she connects with, and the results are fantastic.

1. What is the technical definition of emotion in singing?

The technical definition of emotion in singing refers to the expression of feelings and emotions through the use of vocal techniques, such as tone, dynamics, and phrasing. It involves the ability to convey a particular emotion or mood through the use of one's voice.

2. How does emotion impact singing?

Emotion plays a crucial role in singing as it allows the singer to connect with the audience on a deeper level. It adds depth and meaning to the lyrics and helps the audience to feel the message being conveyed. Emotion also affects vocal technique, as different emotions require different vocal techniques to be effectively expressed.

3. Can emotion be taught in singing?

Yes, emotion can be taught in singing. While some people may naturally have a talent for conveying emotion through their voice, it is also a skill that can be learned and developed through vocal training and practice. Techniques such as visualization, character development, and connecting with the lyrics can help singers to express emotion more effectively in their performances.

4. How do we measure emotion in singing?

There is no one specific way to measure emotion in singing as it is a subjective experience. However, some methods that can be used include analyzing vocal techniques and performance quality, gathering audience feedback, and observing physiological responses such as heart rate and facial expressions.

5. Can technology be used to define emotion in singing?

Yes, technology can be used to define emotion in singing. With advancements in vocal analysis software, it is now possible to measure and quantify aspects of emotion in singing, such as pitch, intensity, and timbre. However, technology can only provide a limited understanding of the complex and subjective nature of emotion in singing and should be used in conjunction with other methods.