How Do You Calculate Average Velocity for a Two-Part Journey?

In summary, the car traveled east at 73 km/h for 1.4 h and then 30.0° east of north at 129 km/h for 0.5 h. The average speed for the trip is 87.7 km/h. To find the average velocity, the x and y components of each displacement must be calculated and added together to find the resultant displacement. Using this value and the total time, the average velocity magnitude and direction can be determined using trigonometry.
kx250f341
A car travels east at 73 km/h for 1.4 h. It then travels 30.0° east of north at 129 km/h for 0.5 h.
(a) What is the average speed for the trip?
87.7 km/h

(b) What is the average velocity for the trip?
Magnitude ____ km/h
Direction ____

Homework Equations

V avg= delta r/delta t
delta r= rf-ri/tf-ti

The Attempt at a Solution

64.5km-102.2km=-37.8km
.5h-1.4h=-.9h

(-37.8km)/(-.9h)=42.1 km/h

not sure how to find the direction, but I am doing my h.w. online and it tells me my answer is incorrect. Am I even going in the right direction?
Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Average velocity is total displacement divided by total time. You have to get the total displacement by vectorially adding up the 2 displacement vectors.

so Jay you are saying I have to find the x and y comp to find the total displacement

Yes, get the x and y components of each of the 2 displacements you have calculated, add up each separately, then get the resultant displacement magnitude and direction using pythagorus and trig. That's the total displacement, you have the time, solve for the average velocity magnitude and direction.

To find the average velocity, we need to calculate the displacement (delta r) and the time interval (delta t) for the entire trip. The displacement for the first part of the trip (traveling east at 73 km/h for 1.4 h) can be calculated as follows:

delta r1 = (73 km/h)(1.4 h) = 102.2 km east

The displacement for the second part of the trip (traveling 30.0° east of north at 129 km/h for 0.5 h) can be calculated using trigonometry as follows:

delta r2 = (129 km/h)(cos 30°)(0.5 h) = 55.9 km north

The total displacement (delta r) for the trip is then:

delta r = 102.2 km east + 55.9 km north = 108.6 km east of north

The time interval (delta t) for the entire trip is:

delta t = 1.4 h + 0.5 h = 1.9 h

Now we can calculate the average velocity as follows:

V avg = delta r / delta t = (108.6 km east of north) / (1.9 h) = 57.2 km/h east of north

Therefore, the average velocity for the trip is 57.2 km/h east of north. This means that the car traveled at an average speed of 57.2 km/h in the direction of east of north.

Related to How Do You Calculate Average Velocity for a Two-Part Journey?

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of an object's displacement over a given period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

While average velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, average speed only considers the magnitude of the object's displacement. This means that average velocity is a vector quantity, while average speed is a scalar quantity.

3. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. The formula for average velocity is: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / (final time - initial time).

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. For example, if an object starts at position 0 and moves -5 meters in 2 seconds, its average velocity would be -2.5 m/s.

5. What units are used to measure average velocity?

The units of average velocity are distance divided by time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). This is because average velocity is a measure of an object's displacement over time.