How Do You Calculate Chord Lengths in Intersecting Circles?

• Thread starter byronsakic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, the conversation discusses using the cosine law and Pythagoras' theorem to find the length of chord AB. The cosine law can be applied by splitting CD into two parts and using Pythagoras' theorem to find the length of one part, from which the length of AB can be determined. This approach is suggested by the fact that CD is a perpendicular bisector of AB and passes through the centers of the two circles.
byronsakic
Hello,
i am having difficulty on a question involving chords i believe.
chords.jpg

what i have so far is:
the length of CA is 17. therefore the length of CB is also 17 due to the fact that it is the radius of the first circle.
the length of AD is 10. Therefore BD is also 10 because it is the radius of the circle.
i can prove that AB is perpendicular to CD and forms a right angle since CD passes through the the centres of the circles, therefore it is a perpendicular bisector of the chord AB.
if you let the mid point between AB be M. you could solve for AM and BM using pythagoreom thoerem, however i would need CM and MD which i do not know how to find or at least cannot think of.
I could use cosine law, however i do not have any angles given.
can anyone help me proceed with this question in finding AB?
thanks
byron

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the cosine law because you do know some angles, in particular, when you said:

i can prove that AB is perpendicular to CD and forms a right angle since CD passes through the the centres of the circles, therefore it is a perpendicular bisector of the chord AB.

Hint: You'll use the cosine law, but it will look like you're using a famous theorem, because this theorem is really just a particular case of the cosine law.

Just split CD into two parts: x and 21 - x then use Pythagoras to find x from which AB/2 follows.

thank you very much i got it :D

Related to How Do You Calculate Chord Lengths in Intersecting Circles?

1. What are chords in two combined circles?

Chords in two combined circles refer to the line segment that connects two points on the circumference of two intersecting circles.

2. How do you find the length of a chord in two combined circles?

The length of a chord in two combined circles can be found using the chord theorem, which states that the product of the two segments of a chord is equal to the product of the two segments of the other chord.

3. What are the properties of chords in two combined circles?

The properties of chords in two combined circles include the following: they are equal in length if they are equidistant from the center of the circles, they intersect at a right angle if one chord is a diameter of a circle, and the angle formed by the two chords is equal to half the sum of the intercepted arcs.

4. How are chords in two combined circles used in real-life applications?

Chords in two combined circles are used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and design. For example, they are used in designing circular structures, calculating the distance between two points on a map, and determining the size and position of objects in the field of view of a camera lens.

5. What are some helpful tips for working with chords in two combined circles?

Here are some tips for working with chords in two combined circles: always draw accurate diagrams, label all the given information, and use the appropriate formulas and theorems for solving problems. It is also helpful to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the properties and concepts related to chords in two combined circles.