How Do You Calculate Deuteron's Velocity After a Neutron Collision?

In summary, the problem involves a neutron colliding with a stationary deuteron in a nuclear reactor. After the collision, the neutron is deflected by 90 degrees and moves in the positive y direction with a speed of vo/*square root of three*. The task is to find the x and y components of the deuteron's velocity after the collision, taking into account that the deuteron is twice the mass of the neutron.
soul5
I'm at the last equation of my homework and I'm stuck

Homework Statement

In a nuclear reactor, a neutron moving at speed vo (vo is initial speed) in the positive x direction strikes a deuteron, which is at rest. The neutron is deflected by 90 degrees and moves off with a speed vo/*square root of three* in the positve y direction.

Homework Equations

Find the x and y components of the deuteron's velocity after the collision. The mass of the deuteron is twice the mass of the neutron.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried, but I don't get it.
Plz help me show work if you can thxs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get it?

what do I do because the mass in twice?

Related to How Do You Calculate Deuteron's Velocity After a Neutron Collision?

What is the best way to solve a difficult homework equation?

The best way to solve a difficult homework equation is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying the known values and any given equations or formulas. Then, work through the problem one step at a time, using the appropriate mathematical operations and techniques. It may also be helpful to consult textbooks, classmates, or online resources for additional guidance.

Why am I stuck on this particular equation?

There could be several reasons why you are stuck on a particular equation. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying concepts, a mistake made in a previous step, or a misunderstanding of the given information. It is important to carefully review each step and try to identify where the issue may lie. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also provide valuable insights and assistance.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations include incorrect order of operations, forgetting to distribute or combine like terms, and making errors when solving for variables. It is also important to double-check calculations and ensure that all steps are properly written down and accounted for.

How can I check my work to make sure I have the correct answer?

One way to check your work is by plugging the calculated values back into the original equation and verifying that both sides are equal. You can also use online calculators or ask a friend or teacher to check your work. Additionally, reviewing the steps and calculations can also help identify any potential errors.

What resources are available to help me with difficult equations?

There are many resources available to help with difficult equations, including textbooks, online tutorials, and homework help websites. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can provide personalized assistance and guidance. It may also be helpful to join study groups or work with classmates to solve equations together.