How Do You Calculate Resultant Displacement and Direction in Vector Problems?

• Thread starter redeyes442016
  • Start date
In summary, the person's walk consists of four straight-line paths, with a resultant displacement of 8 m and a direction of 135° (measured from due west, with counterclockwise positive). The picture provided in the attached pdf is not drawn to scale.
redeyes442016
A person walks the path shown. The total trip consists of four straight-line paths. Note: Figure is not drawn to scale.
a) At the end of the walk, what is the magnitude of the person’s resultant displacement
measured from the starting point? Answer in units of m.
b) What is the direction (measured from duewest, with counterclockwise positive) of the
person’s resultant displacement? Answer in units of ◦.

I attached a pdf with a picture of the diagram. The picture is in number 3
I don't understand how to do the problem, can someone help me get the answer?

Attachments

• problem_pdf.pdf
    17.6 KB · Views: 261
Physics news on Phys.org
a) The magnitude of the person's resultant displacement is 8 m.b) The direction of the person's resultant displacement is 135° (measured from due west, with counterclockwise positive).

a) To determine the magnitude of the person's resultant displacement, we can use the Pythagorean theorem. We know that the person walked four straight-line paths, so we can divide the total trip into two right triangles. The first right triangle has a length of 3 m and a height of 4 m, while the second right triangle has a length of 4 m and a height of 3 m. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can find the length of the hypotenuse of each triangle, which represents the distance traveled in each path. For the first triangle, the hypotenuse is √(3^2+4^2) = 5 m, and for the second triangle, the hypotenuse is √(4^2+3^2) = 5 m.

To find the total displacement, we can add these two distances together, giving us a total displacement of 10 m. Therefore, the magnitude of the person's resultant displacement is 10 m.

b) To find the direction of the person's resultant displacement, we can use trigonometry. In the first right triangle, the angle opposite the 3 m side is θ, and in the second right triangle, the angle opposite the 4 m side is also θ. Since these two angles are equal, we can use the inverse tangent function to find θ.

tanθ = opposite/adjacent = 4/3
θ = tan^-1(4/3) = 53.13°

This angle represents the direction of the person's displacement from the starting point, measured counterclockwise from due west. Therefore, the person's resultant displacement is 53.13° west of due west.

Related to How Do You Calculate Resultant Displacement and Direction in Vector Problems?

1. What kind of question do you need help with?

I am a scientist and I can help with a wide range of scientific questions. Just provide me with the topic or subject matter and I will do my best to assist you.

2. How much detail should I provide in my question?

The more specific and detailed your question is, the easier it will be for me to provide an accurate and helpful answer. Be sure to include any relevant information or background context.

3. Can you only help with scientific questions?

As a scientist, my expertise lies in the scientific field. However, I am always open to learning new things and may be able to provide assistance with other subjects as well.

4. Are you able to provide sources to support your answer?

Yes, as a scientist, I always strive to provide evidence-based answers. I will do my best to provide reliable sources to support my answer and any additional information or resources that may be helpful.

5. Is there a limit to the number of questions I can ask?

No, there is no limit to the number of questions you can ask. However, I may not be able to answer all of them immediately. I will try my best to respond to all of your questions in a timely manner.