How Do You Calculate the Forces in a Tug of War?

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of force exerted from one boy onto another in a game of tug of war. Peter weighs 539 N and John weighs 392 N. Peter accelerates at a rate of 3.0 m/s^2. The first step is to find the magnitude of force that John exerts on Peter by drawing a free body diagram and using Newton's 2nd law with Peter's acceleration being with respect to the ground.
w0lverine
I need to find the magnitude of the force exerted from one boy onto another in a game of tug of war and vice versa.
Peter weighs 539 N, John weighs 392 N. During the course of the game Peter accelerates at a rate of 3.0 m/s^2.

First the magnitude of force Peter exerts onto John.
Then the magnitude of force John exerts onto Peter.
Then the magnitude of Peter's acceleration towards John.

I'm just so lost, I have so many formulae in my head and I don't know which one to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are lost partly because you may have John and Peter mixed up. And partly because the problem is not clearly worded. Try starting by finding the force that John exerts on Peter, by drawing a free body diagram of Peter to identify the forces acting on him. Assume that Peter's acceleration, given as 3 m/s/s, is with respect to the ground, and use Newton's 2nd law.

1. What are some common problems with Newton's law?

Some common problems with Newton's law include the fact that it only applies to objects in a state of constant motion, it does not account for the effects of gravity on a large scale, and it does not take into account the effects of relativity.

2. How does Newton's law break down at extreme speeds?

At extreme speeds, Newton's law breaks down because it does not account for the effects of relativity. At these speeds, the laws of relativity take over and must be used to accurately describe the motion of objects.

3. What is the difference between Newton's first and second law?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in a state of constant motion unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

4. Why is Newton's third law important in understanding motion?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This is important in understanding motion because it explains why objects move in a particular direction and how forces interact with each other.

5. How does the law of inertia relate to Newton's law?

The law of inertia, or Newton's first law, is a foundational principle of Newton's laws of motion. It states that objects will remain at rest or in a state of constant motion unless acted upon by an external force. This concept is essential in understanding the other laws of motion proposed by Newton.