How Do You Calculate the Period of Oscillation for a Mass on a Spring?

In summary: You have all of the pieces you need to solve the problem.What would be your reasoning for doing that?Perhaps you need some time to go back and read the problem again and read through this thread again. You have all of the pieces you need to solve the problem.In summary, the problem involves a 775 g mass hung on a spring, which causes the spring to stretch 20.5 cm. To find the period of oscillation, the spring constant needs to be determined using Hooke's Law, which states that Fs=kx. By using the weight of the mass, which is given, and the distance it stretches the spring, the force can be calculated. The additional 3 cm distance is not used because it does
Lana Elcic

Homework Statement

A 775 g mass is hung on a spring. As a result the spring stretches 20.5 cm. If the object is then pulled an additional 3.0 cm downward and released, what is the period of the resulting oscillation?

Homework Equations

T = 2pi sqr root(m/k)
Hooke's Law Fs=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

For the period I know you use T = 2pi sqr root(m/k)

So you must find k using Hooke's Law, which we find force (m*g) and total distance is our number plus the additional 3cm, so to solve for k, its k=F/x, which you then substitute into the original equation, but I don't think my answer is right. I'm assuming my x is wrong? Do you not add the two values?

.775kg
20.5cm + 3cm = .235m

Fs=kx
(.775)(9.81) / .235m = 32.34

T = 2pi sqrroot (.775kg/32.34) = .97
97 seconds.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much force does it take to stretch the spring a distance of 20.5 cm?

0?
Mister T said:
How much force does it take to stretch the spring a distance of 20.5 cm?

How did you come up with that answer?

Lana Elcic said:

Homework Statement

A 775 g mass is hung on a spring. As a result the spring stretches 20.5 cm. If the object is then pulled an additional 3.0 cm downward and released, what is the period of the resulting oscillation?

Homework Equations

T = 2pi sqr root(m/k)
Hooke's Law Fs=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

For the period I know you use T = 2pi sqr root(m/k)

So you must find k using Hooke's Law, which we find force (m*g) and total distance is our number plus the additional 3cm, so to solve for k, its k=F/x, which you then substitute into the original equation, but I don't think my answer is right. I'm assuming my x is wrong? Do you not add the two values?

.775kg
20.5cm + 3cm = .235m

The mass was pulled down the additional 3 cm. You can't use this distance to figure out the spring constant because you don't know the total force used to stretch the spring.
Fs=kx
(.775)(9.81) / .235m = 32.34

What are the units here?

The mass by itself stretches the spring only 20.5 cm according to the problem statement.
T = 2pi sqrroot (.775kg/32.34) = .97
97 seconds.

How does .97 become 97 seconds?

Mister T said:
Mister T said:
brought to rest (lowered carefully, so Fnet = 0)

SteamKing said:
The mass was pulled down the additional 3 cm. You can't use this distance to figure out the spring constant because you don't know the total force used to stretch the spring.
So I just use the 20.5cm?

What are the units here?
(.775kg)(9.81m/s^2) / .235m = 32.34 N/m

The mass by itself stretches the spring only 20.5 cm according to the problem statement.How does .97 become 97 seconds?
I don't know

If it takes no force to stretch a spring, that spring won't make the attached object oscillate.

Mister T said:
If it takes no force to stretch a spring, that spring won't make the attached object oscillate.

So how do I determine the force?

Lana Elcic said:
I don't know

I answered the other questions within

Lana Elcic said:

It was given in the statement of the problem.

Mister T said:
It was given in the statement of the problem.
I'm lost.

By definition, ##k=\displaystyle \frac{F}{x}## where ##F## is the force applied to the spring and ##x## is the distance the spring is stretched by that force.

Lana Elcic said:
You know that 775 grams stretches the spring 20.5 cm. You use the weight of a 775-gram mass to find the force stretching the spring.

SteamKing said:
You know that 775 grams stretches the spring 20.5 cm. You use the weight of a 775-gram mass to find the force stretching the spring.

So 9.81*.775? ...

Mister T said:
By definition, ##k=\displaystyle \frac{F}{x}## where ##F## is the force applied to the spring and ##x## is the distance the spring is stretched by that force.

So what I would change is just use .03m instead of the .235m?

Lana Elcic said:
So what I would change is just use .03m instead of the .235m?

What would be your reasoning for doing that?

Perhaps you need some time to go back and read the problem again and read through this thread again.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Period of Oscillation for a Mass on a Spring?

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around a stable equilibrium point with a constant period. A common example of SHM is the motion of a mass attached to a spring.

2. How is the period of Simple Harmonic Motion calculated?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This formula applies to a mass-spring system, but the concept of period can also be applied to other types of SHM.

3. Can the period of Simple Harmonic Motion be altered?

Yes, the period of SHM can be altered by changing the mass or spring constant of the system. Increasing the mass or decreasing the spring constant will result in a longer period, while decreasing the mass or increasing the spring constant will result in a shorter period.

4. What factors affect the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of SHM is affected by the mass and spring constant of the system, as well as external forces such as friction and air resistance. The amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium) also affects the period, with larger amplitudes resulting in longer periods.

5. How does the period of Simple Harmonic Motion relate to the frequency?

The frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion is the inverse of the period, meaning that as the period increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This can be expressed as the formula f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period.