How Do You Calculate the Sliding Distance with Friction and Initial Forces?

• Thread starter junior78
  • Start date
In summary, the young cousin would have a kinetic energy of 960.4 N after the push, as compared to the kinetic energy of the adult cousin of 20 kg who would have a kinetic energy of 384.8 N.
junior78
I got the first part done but I am getting confused with B because I know the work done by the push - force by my friction should equal the force done by my cousins force by friction..I know I am right there I just can't put the equation together because I am getting stuck any help Please

Suppose that the coefficient of friction between your feet and the floor, while wearing socks, is 0.250. Knowing this, you decide to get a running start and then slide across the floor.

a) If your speed is 3.00 m/s when you start to slide, what distance d will you slide before stopping?

F*d = 1/2mv^2
.250m(9.8 )*d = 1/2m(3)^2
d = 1/2(3)^2 / .25(9.8 )
d = 1.8367 m

b) Now, suppose that your young cousin sees you sliding and takes off her shoes so that she can slide as well (assume her socks have the same coefficient of friction as yours). Instead of getting a running start, she asks you to give her a push. So, you push her with a force of 125 N over a distance of 1.00 m. If her mass is 20.0 kg, what distance d does she slide (i.e., how far does she move after the push ends)? Remember that the friction force is acting anytime that she is moving.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find her kinetic energy after the push. Hint: What's the total work done on her?

ok let me see so her kenetic energy afte rthe push will take the variables as t
m=20kg
v=9.80
giving a energy of 960.4N
TOTAL WORK DONE = is the work of 125N times the coefficient plus the 1.00m of distance now what??

To find the total work done during the push, consider the work done by the 125 N force and the (negative) work done by friction over the 1 m distance of the push.

OHHH ok I got it finally ...appreciate all your help

Related to How Do You Calculate the Sliding Distance with Friction and Initial Forces?

1. What is the problem that needs to be finished?

The problem that needs to be finished can vary depending on the field of science. It could be a mathematical equation, a research project, or a data analysis problem. It is important to specify the problem in order to receive the most relevant help.

2. Why do I need help to finish the problem?

There could be a variety of reasons why you need help to finish the problem. It could be because you are stuck and need guidance, or because you need someone to review your work and provide feedback. It is also possible that the problem is complex and requires collaboration with others.

3. How much information should I provide when asking for help?

It is important to provide as much information as possible when asking for help to finish a problem. This includes any relevant background information, the steps you have already taken, and any specific areas where you are struggling. The more information you provide, the easier it will be for others to understand your problem and provide effective help.

4. Who should I ask for help to finish the problem?

The best person to ask for help will depend on the specific problem you are facing. It could be a colleague or peer who is knowledgeable in the same field, a tutor or mentor, or even an online community of experts. It is important to seek help from someone who has experience and expertise in the subject matter.

5. How can I avoid needing help to finish problems in the future?

The best way to avoid needing help to finish problems in the future is to continuously improve your skills and knowledge in the relevant field. This could involve seeking additional education or training, practicing problem-solving techniques, and seeking feedback from others on your work. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals in order to effectively tackle more complex problems in the future.