How Do You Calculate the Third Force in a System of Connected Masses?

• Thread starter eddiepi2012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Fnet to find F3 :) In summary, the problem presents a 20-kg object subjected to three forces producing an acceleration of -8 m.s-2 i + 6.0 m.s-2 j. The two forces are F1 = 3.0 N i + 16.0 N j and F2 = -12.0 N i+ 8.0 N j. The third force, F3, can be found by using Fnet = ma and subtracting F1 and F2 from Fnet.
eddiepi2012
1.I am stuck on this problem can anyone help me?

A 20-kg object is subjected to three forces which produce an acceleration a = -8 m.s-2 i + 6.0 m.s-2 j on the object. Two of the forces are:
F1 = 3.0 N i + 16.0 N j
F2 = -12.0 N i+ 8.0 N j
Find the third force.

2. Homework Equations

F = F1 + F2 + F3

a = Fnet / m

3. The Attempt at a Solution

F1 = 3.0 N i + 16.0 N j
F2 = -12.0 N i + 8.0 N j
Fnet = -9 N i + 24 N j

a = Fnet / m = -9 N / 20 kg i + 24 / 20 kg j = -0.5 i + 1.2 j

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi eddiepi2012! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
eddiepi2012 said:
a = Fnet / m

3. The Attempt at a Solution

F1 = 3.0 N i + 16.0 N j
F2 = -12.0 N i + 8.0 N j
Fnet = -9 N i + 24 N j

but that's not Fnet

Fnet is the total force :wink:

Ok so how do I find the total force I understand that I am searching for F3 but how do I find it based on the information given?? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks tiny-tim.

Last edited:
Thank you tiny-tim for welcoming me to PF. :)

Last edited:

Thank you tiny-tim for welcoming me to PF. :)

tiny-tim said:
hi eddiepi2012! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)but that's not Fnet

Fnet is the total force :wink:
I believe this (-9 N i + 24 N j) is the Resultant of F1 + F2. Having this information how do I find F3?

hi eddiepi2012! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
eddiepi2012 said:
I believe this (-9 N i + 24 N j) is the Resultant of F1 + F2. Having this information how do I find F3?

first, use Fnet = ma to find Fnet

then subtract F1 and F2

Related to How Do You Calculate the Third Force in a System of Connected Masses?

What is the definition of "Physics I (Connected Masses)"?

"Physics I (Connected Masses)" is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of connected masses, also known as systems of particles. In this branch, we study how forces and motion affect objects that are connected together.

What are some common examples of connected masses in everyday life?

Some common examples of connected masses in everyday life include a pendulum, a swinging door, a car moving on a road, and a seesaw. These systems of connected masses can be found in many objects and activities around us.

What laws and principles are used in Physics I (Connected Masses)?

Physics I (Connected Masses) uses the laws of motion, specifically Newton's laws, to study the behavior of connected masses. The principle of conservation of momentum is also essential in analyzing these systems, as well as the concept of equilibrium.

How do you calculate the motion of connected masses?

To calculate the motion of connected masses, we use equations derived from Newton's laws of motion. These equations take into account the forces acting on the masses, such as tension and gravity. We also consider the initial conditions and any external forces acting on the system.

What are some real-world applications of Physics I (Connected Masses)?

Physics I (Connected Masses) has many real-world applications, including engineering, robotics, and biomechanics. Understanding the behavior of connected masses is crucial in designing structures, vehicles, and machines that are safe and efficient. It also helps in analyzing the movement of living organisms and developing prosthetics and other medical devices.