How Do You Calculate Work in a Thermodynamic Cycle with Constant Temperature?

• Thread starter grandpa2390
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycle Work
In summary: Yes, that is correct. The adiabatic process does not involve any heat transfer, so Q = 0 for that process. The isothermal process also does not involve any heat transfer, so Q = 0 for that process as well. The only process that involves heat transfer is the third process, where Q = 3548.45 J.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=f435197ef9163c6451c0a08f386a35ab.png

Homework Equations

PV = nRT
T= constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the adiabatic process already. I got that
P= 103862 Pa,
T = 363.862 K
V = .035 m^3
n = 1.203 moles
at the end.
So the Temperature through the isothermal process should be 362.862

in order to find the work, I need to calculate either the volume or the pressure at the end of the process. I am having trouble figuring out how to do that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 5.05.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 5.05.01 PM.png
    29 KB · Views: 1,150
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought about using the inverse proportion to work backwards from the end result of the 3rd process to that temperature. and then I would be able to have the other variables filled...
But I don't understand the inverse proportion. it doesn't hold for the end of the 3rd process (when P is 6 bars and V is 10 liters)

grandpa2390 said:
calculate either the volume or the pressure at the end of the process
At the end of which stage of the process? You are given the volume at the end of the adiabatic stage.

Likes grandpa2390
grandpa2390 said:
I thought about using the inverse proportion to work backwards from the end result of the 3rd process to that temperature. and then I would be able to have the other variables filled...
But I don't understand the inverse proportion. it doesn't hold for the end of the 3rd process (when P is 6 bars and V is 10 liters)
It's a matter of fitting the three curves together so that they join up.
For each of the three phases, write an equation for P as a function of V. Put in unknown constants as necessary.
Use the the way that the meet to determine the constants.

Likes grandpa2390
haruspex said:
At the end of which stage of the process? You are given the volume at the end of the adiabatic stage.
The isothermal.

grandpa2390 said:
Why not?

Likes grandpa2390
Chestermiller said:
Why not?

because 6*10^5 is not equal to one divided by .01^2

It would have to be P = 60/v^2

grandpa2390 said:
because 6*10^5 is not equal to one divided by .01^2

It would have to be P = 60/v^2
Do you understand the difference between a proportional sign and an equal sign?

Likes grandpa2390
Chestermiller said:
Do you understand the difference between a proportional sign and an equal sign?

... you know...
I do, but for some reason, I got it mixed up in my mind to mean "roughly equal to". probably because of the formula. I was expecting it to mean that "1/v^2 is the proportion."
But you are saying that it isn't 1/v^2, it is actually some {proportionality constant} * v^-2

lol. so my approach of working backwards from point a (the initial) to point c (where isothermal meets the third process) is a good start then?

grandpa2390 said:
... you know...
I do, but for some reason, I got it mixed up in my mind to mean "roughly equal to". probably because of the formula. I was expecting it to mean that "1/v^2 is the proportion."
But you are saying that it isn't 1/v^2, it is actually some {proportionality constant} * v^-2

lol. so my approach of working backwards from point a (the initial) to point c (where isothermal meets the third process) is a good start then?
Yes.

Likes grandpa2390
Chestermiller said:
Yes.

Here are the values I got. It seems to make sense.
?temp_hash=cbe479a4bc80a78a7e8b77110544419f.png

Point C doesn't work out too perfectly because of rounding. perhaps I should use .0165 rather than .017

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 11.26.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 11.26.18 PM.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 412
I found that the work done by:
a->b is -5912.09 J
b->c is 2733 J
c->a is 2363.64 J

total work is -815.45 J done on the cycle. (or 815.45 J done by the cycle)

Does this make sense?

Q_ab is 0 because it is adiabatic.
Q_bc is -2733 J because it is isothermal. the work done is 2733 J. so -2733 J is the heat absorbed by the cycle
Q_ca is 3548.45 J (heat absorbed).

I got 3548 J because W=-Q and since W = -815 J, then Q = 815 J

so 815 J = -2733 J + Q_ca. so Q_ca absorbs 3548.45 J of heat.Also, the Q of adiabatic processes = 0. Is this because Q_h = Q_c in an adiabatic process?

I have to calculate the efficiency, and to do that I need to isolate Q_h, and I am wondering if there is Q_h for the adiabatic process that I need to find.

If the adiabatic process absorbs no heat, and the isothermal absorbs no heat. the last process does nothing but absorb heat (T = 1/V from .0165 -> .01, Temperature changes linearly and maxes at the end of the process.)

so e = W/Qh

815.45 J / 3548.45 J = 23% efficient ?

I plugged Q_h = 3548.45 and Q_c = 2733 into the formula ##e = 1 - \frac{Q_c}{Q_h}## and got the same result...
I am not sure if that means much since I used the Wnet = Qnet formula. but it might suggest something about the Q_h and Q_c of each process since I used the formula concerning just the Q_net of each process...

Last edited:
grandpa2390 said:
Does this make sense?

Q_ab is 0 because it is adiabatic.
Q_bc is -2733 J because it is isothermal. the work done is 2733 J. so -2733 J is the heat absorbed by the cycle
Q_ca is 3548.45 J (heat absorbed).

I got 3548 J because W=-Q and since W = -815 J, then Q = 815 J

so 815 J = -2733 J + Q_ca. so Q_ca absorbs 3548.45 J of heat.Also, the Q of adiabatic processes = 0. Is this because Q_h = Q_c in an adiabatic process?

I have to calculate the efficiency, and to do that I need to isolate Q_h, and I am wondering if there is Q_h for the adiabatic process that I need to find.
There is no Q for an adiabatic process. By definition, an adiabatic process is one for which Q = 0.
If the adiabatic process absorbs no heat, and the isothermal absorbs no heat. the last process does nothing but absorb heat (T = 1/V from .0165 -> .01, Temperature changes linearly and maxes at the end of the process.)

so e = W/Qh

815.45 J / 3548.45 J = 23% efficient ?

I plugged Q_h = 3548.45 and Q_c = 2733 into the formula ##e = 1 - \frac{Q_c}{Q_h}## and got the same result...
I am not sure if that means much since I used the Wnet = Qnet formula. but it might suggest something about the Q_h and Q_c of each process since I used the formula concerning just the Q_net of each process...
You need to go back and look at process CA in more detail. Part of this process path may involve absorption of heat, and part might involve rejection of heat.

Chestermiller said:
You need to go back and look at process CA in more detail. Part of this process path may involve absorption of heat, and part might involve rejection of heat.

but the temperature rises exponentially. When the process was linear (like on the last problem), the temperature rose to a peak, and then fell somewhere along the process. But in this case, it just rises at T=6/V

##PV = nRT##
##\frac{PV}{nR} = T##
and:
##P = \frac{60}{v^2}##
so:
##T = \frac{60V}{nRV^2}##
##T = \frac{60}{1.203*8.314*V}##
##T = \frac{60}{10V} = \frac{6}{V}##

The temperature only grows with decreasing volume. I thought as long as the temperature was rising, the process would be absorbing heat?
What foolish error am I making this time? : )

grandpa2390 said:
but the temperature rises exponentially. When the process was linear (like on the last problem), the temperature rose to a peak, and then fell somewhere along the process. But in this case, it just rises at T=6/V

##PV = nRT##
##\frac{PV}{nR} = T##
and:
##P = \frac{60}{v^2}##
so:
##T = \frac{60V}{nRV^2}##
##T = \frac{60}{1.203*8.314*V}##
##T = \frac{60}{10V} = \frac{6}{V}##

The temperature only grows with decreasing volume. I thought as long as the temperature was rising, the process would be absorbing heat?
What foolish error am I making this time? : )
I analyzed it by determining Q as a function of V, and found that it represents heat addition over the entire path from C to A. So, you're OK.

Related to How Do You Calculate Work in a Thermodynamic Cycle with Constant Temperature?

1. What is the concept of work in a cycle?

The concept of work in a cycle refers to the amount of energy that is transferred or transformed in a system as it goes through a complete cycle. This is often measured in units of joules or calories.

2. How do you calculate the work of a cycle?

The work of a cycle is calculated by finding the area under the curve on a pressure-volume graph. This can be done by dividing the cycle into smaller segments and finding the area of each segment, then adding them together to get the total work.

3. What is the relationship between work and heat in a cycle?

In a cycle, work and heat are both forms of energy transfer. The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

4. How does the efficiency of a cycle relate to its work?

The efficiency of a cycle is a measure of how much of the energy put into the system is converted into useful work. The higher the efficiency, the more work is produced for a given amount of energy input.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the work of a cycle?

Calculating the work of a cycle is useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It is also important in understanding and optimizing the performance of various thermodynamic processes.