How Do You Convert Body Temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit in Statistics?

In summary: You might find it easier to follow if you make a table:|Celcius|Fahrenheit|Celcius|Fahrenheit||:------:|:--------:|:------:|:--------:||37.5 | |37.8 | || | | | || | | | |and so on. That is a good way to keep your thoughts organized when you are working on a problem like this. If you don't have a table on your computer, use a pencil and paper (a pencil is better than a pen because you can erase mistakes, and you can write more neatly).In summary, we are given the
Mark53

Homework Statement

(1) Let the random variable X be the body temperature in ◦C for a randomly chosen person during waking hours. X is assumed to be a normally distributed with mean E(X) = 37.5 and standard deviation sd(X) = 0.3. Let Y be the body temperature in ◦F for a randomly chosen person during waking hours.

(a) Find E(Y ).
(b) Find the standard deviation of Y .
(c) Find the probability that the temperature of a randomly chosen person lies between 37.5 ◦C and 38.1

Homework Equations

[/B]
F=32+9(C/5)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
F=32+9(37.5/5) = 99.5

b)

I am unsure how to find the standard deviation

When do F=32+9(0.3/5)=32.54 which doesn't look correct

C)

calculated by looking at the normal distribution graph
P(37.5<x< 38.1)=47.5%
is there a way to show this mathematically

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark53 said:

Homework Statement

(1) Let the random variable X be the body temperature in ◦C for a randomly chosen person during waking hours. X is assumed to be a normally distributed with mean E(X) = 37.5 and standard deviation sd(X) = 0.3. Let Y be the body temperature in ◦F for a randomly chosen person during waking hours.

(a) Find E(Y ).
(b) Find the standard deviation of Y .
(c) Find the probability that the temperature of a randomly chosen person lies between 37.5 ◦C and 38.1

Homework Equations

[/B]
F=32+9(C/5)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
F=32+9(37.5/5) = 99.5

b)

C)

calculated by looking at the normal distribution graph
P(37.5<x< 38.1)=47.5%
is there a way to show this mathematically

Use
$$\text{standard deviation} = \sqrt{\text{variance}}$$
How do you get from the variance of ##X## to the variance of ##Y = 32 + (9/5)X##?

Ray Vickson said:
Use
How do you get from the variance of ##X## to the variance of ##Y = 32 + (9/5)X##?
Ray Vickson said:
Use
that means the variance of X would be 0.09 how would that help solving it though?

Ray Vickson said:
Use

would that mean the variance of Y would be 0.09(9/5)

I'm sure Ray Vickson is much better at this than I, so I hesitate to query his point, but.

I come at this sort of problem from a user's point of view rather than a mathematician's. If I look at an example such as this from WikiP's article on SD:

"As a slightly more complicated real-life example, the average height for adult men in the United States is about 70 inches, with a standard deviation of around 3 inches. This means that most men (about 68%, assuming a normal distribution) have a height within 3 inches of the mean (67–73 inches) – one standard deviation – ..."

and look at what it tells me, I do not find any need to convert to variance. It tells me the average height is 70" and 68% of men have height within 3" of that.
Now if I want to know what that is in metres or even just in feet, I simple have to convert the units of the statistics. 70" is about 5.833 ft and 3" is 0.25 ft. ANY other values - such as obtained by squaring, dividing by 12 and square rooting again (whch I guess is not exactly what RV is saying?) - must be wrong, since the statistics are telling me about a physical fact. It may well be that RV is telling you to square the SD then convert by the square of (Edit: the conversion factor) then square root back again, but that is a pointless exercise, since it will not give you a different answer.

IMO your problem is in the conversion itself. You are confusing the conversion of Centigrade degrees to Fahrenheit degrees, with the conversion of values from the Centigrade Scale to the Fahrenheit Scale. The mean is a value on the scale, but the SD is a difference measured between values on a scale. Since it is HW, I'll leave it at that for now, but (Edit: I'll) keep watching.

Mark53 said:
b)

Right. That's not correct.

What Celsius temperature is 1 standard deviation above the mean ?

What Fahrenheit temperature does that correspond to ?

Now consider Merlin's reply to get the answer in a more direct way.

SammyS said:
Right. That's not correct.

What Celsius temperature is 1 standard deviation above the mean ?

What Fahrenheit temperature does that correspond to ?

Now consider Merlin's reply to get the answer in a more direct way.

does that mean

=32+9(37.5+0.3/5)-99.5
=0.54

Mark53 said:
does that mean

=32+9(37.5+0.3/5)-99.5
=0.54
I'll let Mark say whether that means what he said, but it doesn't make much sense to me: I get 32+9(37.5+0.3/5)-90.5=279.54 ? And what it is you were calculating, I don't know.
It might help to say what you are doing, like:

What Celcius temp is mean? Mean = 37.5 oC (given)

What Celsius temperature is 1 standard deviation above the mean ? SD = 0.3 oC (given) ∴Mean +1SD = 37.5 + 0.3 = 37.8 oC

and so on.

Related to How Do You Convert Body Temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit in Statistics?

1. What is the difference between mean and median temperatures?

The mean temperature is the average of all the recorded temperatures in a dataset, calculated by adding all the temperatures and dividing by the total number of temperatures. The median temperature is the middle value in a dataset when the temperatures are arranged in ascending or descending order. The median is less affected by extreme values, making it a better measure of central tendency in skewed datasets.

2. How do you calculate standard deviation in temperature data?

To calculate the standard deviation, first find the mean temperature. Then, subtract the mean from each temperature and square the result. Add all the squared values and divide by the total number of temperatures. Finally, take the square root of this result to get the standard deviation. Standard deviation measures the spread of the temperatures around the mean, with a higher standard deviation indicating a wider spread.

3. What is the difference between weather and climate?

Weather refers to the short-term atmospheric conditions in a specific region, such as temperature, precipitation, and wind. Climate, on the other hand, refers to the long-term patterns of weather in a particular area. It takes into account factors like temperature, precipitation, and wind patterns over a period of many years.

4. How is statistical analysis used in weather forecasting?

Statistical analysis is used in weather forecasting to make predictions based on historical weather data. By analyzing patterns and trends in past weather conditions, scientists can make educated guesses about future weather patterns. This helps in making accurate weather forecasts and preparing for extreme weather events.

5. How can statistics be used to study the effects of climate change?

Statistics can be used to analyze and interpret large amounts of climate data to identify patterns and trends. This can help scientists understand how the Earth's climate is changing over time and how it may continue to change in the future. Statistics can also be used to make predictions about the potential impacts of climate change on different regions and ecosystems.