How Do You Experimentally Measure Quantum Mechanics?

Your Name] In summary, if you are looking for technical details on the apparatus and setups used in experimental quantum mechanics, there are many resources available online. These include books such as "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Susskind and Friedman, articles like "Measuring spin: From Stern-Gerlach to Bell" by Kwiat and Zeilinger, and "Quantum Optics" by Fox. You can also try searching for open access articles on sites like arXiv or contacting your local university or research institution for resources.
skippy1729
I am looking for a book or journal articles or anything online with technical details of the apparatus and setups for experimental QM. Something that would answer questions such as:

1. How are singlet states prepared?

2. How do you measure the square of the spin of a particle? Is it a simple cascade of stern-gerlach magnets?

3. How do you measure the spin of a neutral particle?

4. How are single photon states prepared?

I don't live near a good library and don't have access to older online journal articles (jstor or APS). I have a fairly good background in theory but I would like a better picture of the "nuts and bolts".

Thanks for any suggestions. Skippy

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Skippy,

Thank you for your interest in experimental quantum mechanics. There are many resources available online that can provide technical details and explanations for the apparatus and setups used in experimental quantum mechanics. Here are a few suggestions:

1. For information on how singlet states are prepared, I recommend the book "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. Chapter 11 of this book covers the preparation of entangled states, including singlet states.

2. The measurement of spin is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics, and there are many techniques and setups used for this purpose. The article "Measuring spin: From Stern-Gerlach to Bell" by Paul Kwiat and Anton Zeilinger provides a detailed explanation of the different methods used for measuring spin, including the use of Stern-Gerlach magnets.

3. Measuring the spin of a neutral particle can be achieved through various methods, such as interference experiments or the use of magnetic fields. The article "Measuring the spin of neutral particles" by Thomas Walther and Wolfgang Schleich provides a comprehensive overview of these techniques.

4. To understand how single photon states are prepared, I recommend the book "Quantum Optics" by Mark Fox. Chapter 2 of this book covers the generation of single photons and their use in quantum information processing.

Additionally, many scientific journals offer open access to their articles, including those on quantum mechanics. You can try searching for specific topics on sites like arXiv or ResearchGate. You can also reach out to your local university or research institution to see if they have any resources available for you to access.

I hope these suggestions will help you gain a better understanding of the technical aspects of experimental quantum mechanics. Best of luck in your research!

I would recommend the following resources for information on experimental quantum mechanics:

1. "Quantum Mechanics: Experimental Basics" by Helmut Rauch and Samuel A. Werner. This book provides a comprehensive overview of experimental quantum mechanics, including detailed descriptions of apparatus and setups for various experiments. It also covers topics such as singlet states and spin measurements.

2. "Experimental Quantum Mechanics" by Rainer Blatt and Christoph F. Roos. This book focuses specifically on experimental methods and techniques in quantum mechanics, including detailed descriptions of apparatus and setups for various experiments. It also covers topics like single photon states and spin measurements.

3. "Quantum Optics" by Mark Fox. This book provides a thorough introduction to the experimental techniques used in quantum optics, including single photon sources and detectors.

4. "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili. This book includes a chapter on experimental techniques in quantum mechanics, which covers topics like the Stern-Gerlach experiment and spin measurements.

In addition to books, you can also find valuable information on experimental quantum mechanics in scientific journals such as Physical Review Letters and Nature Physics. Many of these journals offer online access to their articles, so you may be able to access them even if you don't have access to a physical library.

Another helpful resource for finding information on experimental quantum mechanics is online research databases like Google Scholar or ScienceDirect. These databases allow you to search for specific topics and filter results by publication date, making it easier to find recent articles on experimental techniques.

I hope these suggestions will help you find the information you are looking for on experimental quantum mechanics. Best of luck with your research!

I understand your desire for more technical details on experimental quantum mechanics. I would recommend looking for textbooks or review articles on experimental quantum mechanics, as they often provide more in-depth information on experimental setups and techniques.

For your specific questions, I suggest looking into the following resources:

1. "Experimental Quantum Mechanics" by Rainer Blatt and David Wineland provides a detailed overview of various experimental techniques in quantum mechanics, including the preparation of singlet states.

2. "Quantum Measurement" by Paul Busch, Pekka Lahti, and Reinhard F. Werner discusses measurement theory and techniques, including the measurement of spin.

3. "Quantum Optics" by Mark Fox covers the preparation and measurement of single photon states.

If you do not have access to these textbooks, you can also search for review articles or research papers on the specific topics you are interested in. Some good resources for finding these articles include arXiv.org and ResearchGate.

Additionally, many universities have online databases or portals that allow access to journal articles for their students and faculty. You may want to reach out to your local university to see if they offer any resources for non-students to access these articles.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in your search for more technical information on experimental quantum mechanics. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to How Do You Experimentally Measure Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is experimental quantum mechanics?

Experimental quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the quantum level using experiments and measurements. It investigates the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty, through controlled experiments.

2. What are some important books on experimental quantum mechanics?

Some important books on experimental quantum mechanics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics" by Albert Messiah, and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman.

3. How does experimental quantum mechanics differ from theoretical quantum mechanics?

Theoretical quantum mechanics focuses on mathematical models and theoretical concepts, while experimental quantum mechanics involves conducting experiments and making measurements to test and validate these theories.

4. What are some common experimental techniques used in quantum mechanics research?

Some common experimental techniques used in quantum mechanics research include quantum interference, quantum teleportation, quantum entanglement, and quantum tomography.

5. What are the practical applications of experimental quantum mechanics?

Experimental quantum mechanics has a wide range of practical applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, quantum sensors, and quantum imaging. It also has potential applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and biology.