How Do You Formulate Lagrange Equations for a Mass on a Rotating Parabolic Path?

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the Lagrange equations for a point of mass affected by gravity on a parabola with a fixed or rotating plan. The equations for position and speed are provided for both cases, with the y component being absent in the fixed plan. The question of whether z' equals a.r^2' or 2.a.r'.r is also addressed.
Fabio010
A point of mass m, affected by gravity, is obliged to be in a vertical plan on a parabola with equation z = a.r^2

a is a constant and r is the distance between the point of mass m and the OZ vertical axis. Write the Lagrange equations in the cases that the plan of the parabola is :

a) is fixed

b) it rotates with angular speed ω about the OZ axis.
http://www.google.pt/imgres?q=parabola+lagrangian+mechanics&um=1&hl=pt-PT&sa=N&biw=1097&bih=521&tbm=isch&tbnid=AbK_S7_Po3-jSM:&imgrefurl=http://stochastix.wordpress.com/2007/12/11/a-bead-sliding-on-a-rotating-parabola/&docid=vdbKHvoDOKa0bM&imgurl=http://stochastix.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/parabola.jpg%253Fw%253D450&w=300&h=300&ei=LjCNUJuvPMHDhAfL34CoCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=200&vpy=117&dur=1276&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=132&ty=131&sig=102710367222874968480&page=1&tbnh=129&tbnw=129&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0,i:104I just need to know the equations of the position and speed.

in a) i considered:

x = r cosθ ||||| x' = r'cosθ - rθ'sinθ
y = r sinθ ||||| y' = r'sinθ + rθ'cosθ
z = a.r^2 ||||| z' = a.r^2' in b)

x = r cos(wt) ||||| x' = r'cos(wt) - rwsin(wt)
y = r sin(wt) ||||| y' = r'sin(wt)+ rwcos(wt)
z = a.r^2 |||||| z' = a.r^2' Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (a) θ is fixed, hence θ' = ? I would think that without loss of generality you could let θ be zero.

Part (b) looks good to me.

TSny said:
For part (a) θ is fixed, hence θ' = ? I would think that without loss of generality you could let θ be zero.

Part (b) looks good to me.

considering that θ = 0, then part a) is not going to have the y component :)

And other question:

z' = a.r^2' or z' = 2.a.r'.r ? is that the same?

Fabio010 said:
considering that θ = 0, then part a) is not going to have the y component :)

And other question:

z' = a.r^2' or z' = 2.a.r'.r ? is that the same?

Correct!

Thanks for all your the help!

Related to How Do You Formulate Lagrange Equations for a Mass on a Rotating Parabolic Path?

1. What is Lagrangian dynamics problem?

Lagrangian dynamics problem is a mathematical framework used for solving the equations of motion for a system of particles or a rigid body. It is based on Lagrange's equations of motion, which take into account the kinetic and potential energy of the system.

2. What is the difference between Lagrangian and Newtonian mechanics?

The main difference between Lagrangian and Newtonian mechanics is the approach used to solve the equations of motion. While Newtonian mechanics uses forces and accelerations, Lagrangian mechanics uses energy and coordinates. Lagrangian mechanics also allows for a more general formulation and can handle more complex systems.

3. How is the Lagrangian determined for a system?

The Lagrangian for a system is determined by considering the kinetic energy and potential energy of the system in terms of its generalized coordinates. These coordinates represent the degrees of freedom of the system and are chosen to simplify the equations of motion.

4. What are some applications of Lagrangian dynamics?

Lagrangian dynamics has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used in analyzing the motion of particles in classical mechanics and in studying the dynamics of systems in quantum mechanics. It is also used in celestial mechanics to describe the motion of planets and other celestial bodies.

5. What are the limitations of Lagrangian dynamics?

While Lagrangian dynamics is a powerful tool for solving complex problems, it does have its limitations. It is not applicable to systems with non-conservative forces, such as friction. It also cannot handle systems with constraints that vary with time. In these cases, other methods such as Hamiltonian dynamics may be more suitable.

Back