How Do You Measure the Frequencies of Natural Crystals?

In summary: Also, the purity of the crystal is important. If the crystal includes contaminants (e.g. metals), the resonance will be lower.In summary, if you want to measure the frequencies of a crystal, you would need to use a device that can detect vibrations, and the resonant frequencies will vary depending on the crystal's shape and purity.
MaterSammichM
If I am correct, crystal frequencies depend on the size, shape/cut, and purity of a crystal(?)
How can you measure (what instrumentation) the frequency/ies of a natural crystal (other than just quartz)?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the same way you'd measure vibrations in any other material.

Using a device capable of detecting vibrations - would need to be fairly sensitive. Sort of like the ones they use to sense heartbeats on lorries crossing the channel.

I can't, for the life of me remember the name of them.

Really?
I'm looking for solid answers and don't have time to read useless posts.
Your's really didn't help at all.
I knew that much on the subject.
Please... if all you want to do is hear yourself speak, do it in private, or at least write meaningless posts on someone else's thread.

Welcome to PF MaterSammichM.

You will soon learn that your attitude isn't acceptable here and people won't bother responding to you if you take that stance.

Google "vibration sensor" and you'll find a whole host of equipment capable of achieving your task. If you're too lazy to do this then that is your problem not mine.

Cut the attitude.

EDIT: Oscilloscope that's the one. You'll be need one of those too. Possibly something involving ultrasound would be a good choice.

MaterSammichM said:
If I am correct, crystal frequencies depend on the size, shape/cut, and purity of a crystal(?)
"Crystal frequency" is quite meaningless by itself. It can refer to (at least) several different things.

If you mean mechanical resonant frequency, you can either calculate it (if the shape is nice) or measure it by simply vibrating the crystal and measuring the response versus frequency. The frequency (or frequencies) where you get maxima of the response are the resonant frequencies.
You can vibrate the crystal with a piezoelectric chip or speaker attached to a signal generator and measure the response with a microphone, an ultrasonic transducer, etc., connected to oscilloscope.
There are some catches. The resonance depends on the way you support the crystal (at one end, in the middle, both ends, etc) as well as on the size, shape, material.

Related to How Do You Measure the Frequencies of Natural Crystals?

1. What are natural crystal frequencies?

Natural crystal frequencies refer to the specific vibrational patterns or oscillations that are emitted by crystals found in nature. Each crystal has its own unique frequency or energy that is believed to have various healing properties.

2. How are natural crystal frequencies measured?

Natural crystal frequencies are measured using a device called a frequency counter, which detects and measures the frequency of the crystal's vibration. This frequency is typically measured in hertz (Hz) or kilohertz (kHz).

3. What is the significance of natural crystal frequencies?

Many believe that natural crystal frequencies have healing and balancing effects on the mind, body, and spirit. These frequencies are thought to interact with the body's own electromagnetic field, promoting positive energy flow and restoring balance.

4. Can natural crystal frequencies be used for specific purposes?

Yes, different crystals are associated with different frequencies and specific healing properties. For example, amethyst is believed to have a calming frequency, while rose quartz is associated with love and compassion.

5. How can I benefit from natural crystal frequencies?

Some people use natural crystal frequencies for meditation or to create a calming and positive environment in their home or workplace. Others may carry crystals with them or wear them as jewelry to promote well-being and balance throughout the day.