How do you pronounce it? GIF (Graphics Interchange Format)

• Thread starter larkspur
  • Start date
In summary: I also say the first vowel of data sometimes with long a and sometimes with short a. I've never really decided which I like better.Gibe is a word? I guess I should have just consulted a dictionary before asking. I'm pretty braindead tonight.
I waver. Sometimes your way and sometimes dottum and dotta.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
me, too. Just like the peanut butter. But I hear people say it both ways all the time.
I also say the first vowel of data sometimes with long a and sometimes with short a. I've never really decided which I like better.
Nope, it's a hard G as in gift.

A poor girl in our data training class said "dahtah", and the instructor jumped down her throat and told her to never pronounce it that way again. It's "DAY tah" It has become skewed though over the years, but back in the early 70's we only designed DAY tah circuits.

Evo said:
Nope, it's a hard G as in gift.
I first heard it as "jiff" probably around 1989 and it stuck. Here's some more people sold on the "jiff" pronounciantion:
http://www.olsenhome.com/gif/
CompuServe used to distribute a graphics display program called CompuShow.
In the documentation for version 8.33 in the FAQ section, it states:
The GIF (Graphics Interchange Format), pronounced "JIF", was designed by CompuServe and the official specification released in June of 1987.
So, I'm not so crazy after all. :smile:
A poor girl in our data training class said "dahtah", and the instructor jumped down her throat and told her to never pronounce it that way again. It's "DAY tah" It has become skewed though over the years, but back in the early 70's we only designed DAY tah circuits.
wow. harsh! We're so lenient in California. Tomato, tomahto, whatever. :rofl:

OK, now do Giga, as in Gigabyte.

It's got to be Gigabyte as in 'gig'.

Because 'Jiggabyte' just sounds like it would cost you a 20 to get one for the groom-to-be.

I pronounce it zjlllrfff but then I'm from Zunarb 7, and we have a 4 ft tongue that rolls up to fit in a small mouth.

I don't think it matters how you pronounce most things, just as long as they don't shoot you for being an ugly reptillian space monster. You Earthlings are wierd.:rolleyes::smile:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I pronounce it zjlllrfff but then I'm from Zunarb 7, and we have a 4 ft tongue that rolls up to fit in a small mouth.
My wife wants your phone number.

DaveC426913 said:
My wife wants your phone number.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to make a "Jim Carrey in Earth Girls are Easy" comment.

George Jones said:
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to make a "Jim Carrey in Earth Girls are Easy" comment.
:biggrin: ooh, great movie! I have the soundtrack.
Cause I'm a blonde, yeah, yeah, yeah.

pronouced withte the "g"et...i don't think i know anyone who pronounces it "jif"

JIF is peanut butter. :biggrin:

Gif is graphics. :rolleyes:

neurocomp2003 said:
pronouced withte the "g"et...i don't think i know anyone who pronounces it "jif"

Last night, within the span of a minute, my wife pronounced it both ways. :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF
Pronunciation: Some English-speakers pronounce the acronym "GIF" with a plosive (as in the word "gift"). However, the creators of the file format pronounced the acronym as "JIF" during its unveiling presentation in the 1980s. Surveys reveal that around 70% of speakers prefer the plosive pronunciation. [3], which is consistent with the pronunciation of the individual words in the acronym.

So about 30% of us choosy mothers choose "jiff". :biggrin:

Back