How do you read this analog voltmeter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a specific type of meter for measuring DC volts. The participants are uncertain about how to read the results and which range to use for different measurements. They also express frustration at the lack of a manual or manufacturer's website for further guidance. A link to a similar meter and general documentation is provided as a potential resource for figuring out how to use the meter.
FocusedWolf
Hi, my lab is using these: http://www.elexp.com/tst_7050.htm

we weren't given any intro on interpreting the results.

we're measuring dc volts... its the black numbers below the shiny metal in the picture.

anyway, theirs two sets of numbers for dc volts, so we don't know which to use when... my guess is if you rotate the dial to the small range of like 2.8 volts that you use the small numbers? no idea

also, when measuring 14.0 volts, with the range set to 25, the needle rests on approzimately 140... but with a digitial volt meter we we're getting 14.23v (with its range set on 20).

My question is, depending on the range setting... how do you know if your getting 14 volts or 140 volts or 1.40 volts with this thing... basically how do you read this thing :P

man i wish their was a manual to this thing posted on the internet... can't even find a manufacturers site lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Without being able to see the meter more clearly, I don't know that I could help. There's a ton of lettering on and around the meter that probably indicates which ranges are which, but I can't read it in that photo.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How do you read this analog voltmeter?

1. How do I interpret the readings on an analog voltmeter?

To interpret the readings on an analog voltmeter, start by identifying the voltage scale on the meter. This scale will typically be labeled in increments of voltage, such as 0-10V or 0-50V. Next, locate the pointer or needle on the meter, which will move to indicate the voltage being measured. The value on the scale where the pointer points to is the voltage reading.

2. What do the different markings on an analog voltmeter mean?

The different markings on an analog voltmeter usually indicate the voltage scale, such as 0-10V or 0-50V, as well as any additional features or settings, such as AC or DC voltage measurement. Some voltmeters may also have markings for different units of measurement, such as millivolts (mV) or kilovolts (kV).

3. How do I adjust the range on an analog voltmeter?

To adjust the range on an analog voltmeter, locate the range selector switch. This switch is typically labeled with different voltage ranges, such as 0-10V or 0-50V. Use this switch to select the appropriate range for the voltage you are measuring. Make sure to select a range that is higher than the expected voltage to ensure an accurate reading.

4. Why is an analog voltmeter still used when digital voltmeters are available?

Analog voltmeters are still used because they can provide a continuous and instantaneous reading of voltage, while digital voltmeters may have a slight delay in displaying the reading. Additionally, analog voltmeters do not require power to operate, making them more convenient for certain applications.

5. Can an analog voltmeter be used to measure AC and DC voltage?

Yes, some analog voltmeters have the capability to measure both AC and DC voltage. However, it is important to select the appropriate scale and range for the type of voltage being measured. Some voltmeters may also have a specific setting for either AC or DC voltage measurement.