How Do You Solve a Parametric Vector Equation for a Line?

• Thread starter Tui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation is about finding a parametric vector equation for a line passing through two given points and finding unit direction vectors for the same line. The process involves finding the vector between the two points and using it to create an equation in terms of t. The conversation also discusses how to convert the vector to a unit vector and provides examples of parametric equations using unit vectors.
Tui
Please help! Parametic vector equation??

My lecturer is incredibly hard to understand and I have NO idea how to do this assignment. If someone could help me with this first question I think I might be able to do the rest by myself:

A) Find a parametric vector equation for the line through the points (2,4,1) and (8,-2,4)
B) find both unit direction vectors for the same line

Please show working and explain best you can how your doing it. I'm trying really hard in this course but the lecturer just writes on the black board without taking time to make sure anyone understand its :|

Mathematics news on Phys.org

150 viewers and no one can help? really? :\

Please help, everything is appreciated

Do you understand how to describe a vector given two points?

Do you understand what a parametric equation is? You'd have x, y, and z as functions of some 4th variable, such as t.

x(t), y(t), z(t).

You might want to choose t so it's corresponds to a distance of 1.

Last edited:

I understand vectors but I don't know where to even begin with this question.

Ok, so what is the vector in this case, based on the two points you are given?

Last edited:

I don't know how to find the vector given 2 points. I know that's probably really stupid of me and it's really obvious :\ I try to pay attentions in the lectures but it's really hard to keep up. So far the only question I've managed to do on the assignment was proving two lines are skewed

To get the vector, you just subtract one of the points from the other:

{8,-2,4} - {2,4,1} = {6, -6, 3}

Then an equation for the line is the second point + t times the vector:

{x, y, z} = {2, 4, 1} + t{6, -6, 3}

x = 6 t + 2
y = -6 t + 4
z = 3 t + 1

Last edited:

Alright looking at a similar question on yahoo answers I think I might be on the right track (?)

(2,4,1) - (8,-2,4) = -6i+6j-3k
=> Equation is: (8,-2,4) + t(-6,6,-3)

Am I right or..?

By the way thanks for the help I really appreciate it

Tui said:
Alright looking at a similar question on yahoo answers I think I might be on the right track.

(2,4,1) - (8,-2,4) = -6i+6j-3k
=> Equation is: (8,-2,4) + t(-6,6,-3)

Am I right or..?

Yes, you can use either point for the base. The vector can go in either direction. Sometime a problem will state that the vector goes from one point to another, but in this case the problem just mentions two points, so the vector could point either way.

Oh ok cool :)

What about part b? Is that just asking for the other equation (Using the opposite point)?

Tui said:
What about part b? Is that just asking for the other equation (Using the opposite point)?
A unit vector has a length of 1. To convert a vector to unit length, divide by the square root of the sum of the squares of the 3 parameters.

vector = {-6, 6, -3}

unit vector = {-6, 6, -3} / sqrt( (-6)2 + (6)2 + (-3)2 )
unit vector = {-6, 6, -3} / sqrt (36 + 36 + 9)
unit vector = {-6, 6, -3} / sqrt (81)
unit vector = {-6, 6, -3} / 9
unit vector = {-6/9, 6/9, -3/9}
unit vector = {-2/3, 2/3, -1/3}

The other direction just flips the signs

other unit vector = {2/3, -2/3, 1/3}

although not asked for, if you wanted to write parametric equations for the line based on unit vector you could have:

{x, y, z} = {8, -2, 4} + t{-2/3, 2/3, -1/3}

or

{x, y, z} = {2, 4, 1} + t{2/3, -2/3, 1/3}

There's no rule that you have to use just t, you could use 9 t or even t3, but normally you use the simplest case, unless the problem specifies how t should be used.

Last edited:

Oh wow I remember the lecturer doing that on the board and wondering what it was. Thanks so much for all your help !

Related to How Do You Solve a Parametric Vector Equation for a Line?

1. What is a parametric vector equation?

A parametric vector equation is a way of representing a set of points in three-dimensional space using a set of equations with parameters. These parameters represent the coordinates of the points and can vary to create different points along the curve or surface.

2. How is a parametric vector equation different from a Cartesian equation?

A parametric vector equation uses parameters to represent the coordinates of points, while a Cartesian equation uses variables and constants to represent the coordinates. Parametric equations are often used to describe curves or surfaces, while Cartesian equations are used to describe lines or planes.

3. Why is a parametric vector equation useful?

A parametric vector equation allows for more flexibility and control in representing points in three-dimensional space. It can also be used to describe complex curves or surfaces that would be difficult to represent using a Cartesian equation.

4. How do you convert a Cartesian equation to a parametric vector equation?

To convert a Cartesian equation to a parametric vector equation, you can express the coordinates of the points in terms of parameters, such as t or u and v. Then, you can use these parameters to create a set of equations that represent the coordinates of the points.

5. What are some real-world applications of parametric vector equations?

Parametric vector equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to describe the motion of objects, such as projectiles or planets, the shape of curves in roller coasters, and the surface of 3D models in computer graphics.