How do I parametrize a conical/cylindrical surface in cylindrical unit vectors?

Trollfaz
Suppose I have a cylindrical shell of radius r, height h. I can easily express the surface as
$$(r cos(\theta)) i + (r sin(\theta)) j + t k$$
$$0<\theta<2π , 0<t<h$$
For a conical surface of base rad ρ and height h,
$$z=kr -> z=k, r=ρ$$
$$k=\frac{h}{ρ}$$
Then the surface is
$$ \frac {tρcos(\theta)}{h} i + \frac {tρsin(\theta)}{h} j + t k$$
$$0<\theta<2π , 0<t<h$$
But how do I parametrize the surfaces in ## s θ z## usual cylindrical unit vectors

Physics news on Phys.org
How are the cylinder coordinate unit vectors related to the usual Cartesian ones?

They are very different as cylindrical or spherical unit vectors are coordinate dependent

Trollfaz said:
They are very different as cylindrical or spherical unit vectors are coordinate dependent
Well, yes. But that does not really answer the question about how they are related to the Cartesian basis vectors, ie, how can you express the cylinder base vectors in terms of the Cartesian ones?

So you suggest doing in Cartesian vectors first then use the matrix to convert them to cylindrical vectors

You already have an expression that uses the Cartesian basis. All you need to do is to reexpress it in the cylinder basis.

The position vector in cylindrical polars is [tex]
\mathbf{x}(r,\theta,z) = r \mathbf{e}_{r}(\theta) + z\mathbf{e}_z.[/tex] You already have [itex]z = kr[/itex]. or conversely [itex]r = z/k[/itex].

Orodruin said:
You already have an expression that uses the Cartesian basis. All you need to do is to reexpress it in the cylinder basis.
So you mean use that transformation matrix

1. What is the basic method to parametrize a cylindrical surface?

To parametrize a cylindrical surface, you typically use cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z). For a cylinder of radius R along the z-axis, the parametrization can be expressed as: r = R, θ varies from 0 to 2π, and z varies over the interval of interest (e.g., from z1 to z2). This gives the position vector in cylindrical coordinates as R (cos θ, sin θ, z).

2. How do you parametrize a conical surface?

A conical surface can be parametrized by setting the radial distance r as a function of the height z. For a cone with a vertex at the origin and opening upwards, you might use r = kz, where k is a constant that determines the slope of the cone. The parametrization in cylindrical coordinates becomes r = kz, θ varies from 0 to 2π, and z varies from 0 to some height H. Thus, the position vector is (kz cos θ, kz sin θ, z).

3. What are cylindrical unit vectors and how are they used in parametrization?

Cylindrical unit vectors are defined as e_r (radial), e_θ (azimuthal), and e_z (axial). In the context of parametrization, these unit vectors are used to express the direction components of the surface at any point. For instance, in a cylindrical coordinate system, the position vector for a point on the surface can be represented as r e_r + z e_z, where r and z are functions of the parameters like θ and z.

4. Can you explain how to derive a surface integral on a cylindrical surface using its parametrization?

To derive a surface integral on a cylindrical surface, first parametrize the surface. For a cylinder, use r = R, θ from 0 to 2π, and z from z1 to z2. The differential surface area element in cylindrical coordinates is given by |e_r × (d/dθ e_r + d/dz e_z)| dθ dz = R dz dθ e_z. The surface integral of a vector field F over the cylinder is then ∫∫ F · e_z R dθ dz, integrated over the appropriate limits for θ and z.

5. What is the difference between parametrizing a vertical and a slanted cylindrical surface?

For a vertical cylindrical surface, the axis of the cylinder is parallel to the z-axis, and the parametrization does not involve any terms mixing the coordinates. It typically looks like r = R, θ varies from 0 to 2π, and z varies along the height. For a slanted cylindrical surface, the axis is tilted at some angle to the z-axis, requiring a transformation of coordinates or a more complex dependency between r, θ, and z to correctly describe the surface. This might involve using trigonometric functions to account for the tilt in the parametrization.