How Does a Frictionless Incline Affect Crate Acceleration and Wheel Tension?

• Thread starter CaptFormal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary, a wheel with radius R = 30.0 cm is mounted on a frictionless horizontal axis and has a massless cord wrapped around it. The cord is attached to a 4.75-kg crate that slides down a frictionless surface inclined at an angle of 25.0° with the horizontal, with an acceleration of 2.4 m/s2. The tension in the cord can be solved by applying Newton's 2nd law and is needed to solve for the rotational inertia of the wheel, which cannot be calculated using the given formula due to missing information about the wheel's mass and uniformity.
CaptFormal

Homework Statement

A wheel of radius R = 30.0 cm is mounted on a frictionless horizontal axis. A massless cord is wrapped around the wheel and attached to a 4.75-kg crate that slides on a frictionless surface inclined at an angle of 25.0° with the horizontal. The crate accelerates down the incline at 2.4 m/s2.

(a) What is the tension in the cord?

(b) What is the rotational inertia of the wheel about its axis of rotation?

http://schubert.tmcc.edu/enc/66/4bc10f310fba6066d747ea495c942f9f2656106d7ddf2ff5d8b54e0cfacdd98a6596246f7119a41f9feaf3573da3a023248c9ec461bb2c9f6a44610f161f83989339c3411816f6076856c10d8af94242ce73cdf70aa0bc55.gif

Homework Equations

I = MR^2

I = Inertia
M = Mass
R = Radius

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could solve for part (b) using the above formula but I am not getting the correct answer. And I am not even sure how to start on part (a). Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
CaptFormal said:
I thought I could solve for part (b) using the above formula but I am not getting the correct answer.
You're not given the mass, nor can you assume that the wheel is a uniform disk. So that won't work. First solve part (a), then use it to solve (b).
And I am not even sure how to start on part (a).
What forces act on the crate? Apply Newton's 2nd law.

For part (a), we can use Newton's second law, F=ma, to calculate the tension in the cord. The crate is accelerating down the incline at 2.4 m/s^2, so the net force in the direction of motion is F=ma = (4.75 kg)(2.4 m/s^2) = 11.4 N. This force is equal to the tension in the cord, so the tension is 11.4 N.

For part (b), the rotational inertia of the wheel can be calculated using the formula I=MR^2. However, in this case, the mass of the wheel is not given. We can use the fact that the crate is accelerating down the incline and the wheel is not slipping to find the mass of the wheel. The acceleration of the crate is also the tangential acceleration of the wheel, so we can use the formula a=rα, where r is the radius of the wheel and α is the angular acceleration. We know the tangential acceleration (2.4 m/s^2) and the radius (30 cm = 0.3 m), so we can solve for α.

α = a/r = (2.4 m/s^2)/(0.3 m) = 8 rad/s^2

Now, we can use the formula τ=Iα, where τ is the torque and I is the rotational inertia, to find the rotational inertia of the wheel. The torque is equal to the tension in the cord multiplied by the radius of the wheel.

τ = Fr = (11.4 N)(0.3 m) = 3.42 Nm

Therefore, I = τ/α = (3.42 Nm)/(8 rad/s^2) = 0.428 kgm^2

So, the rotational inertia of the wheel about its axis of rotation is 0.428 kgm^2.

Related to How Does a Frictionless Incline Affect Crate Acceleration and Wheel Tension?

1. What is "A Crate on an Incline"?

"A Crate on an Incline" is a physics experiment that involves a crate (or box) being placed on an inclined plane (or ramp) and studying the forces acting on the crate as it moves down the incline.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the concept of forces, specifically the force of gravity, and how it affects the motion of an object on an inclined plane.

3. How is the crate affected by the incline?

As the crate is placed on the incline, the force of gravity will pull it down the incline. The angle of the incline will determine the magnitude of the force acting on the crate.

4. What other forces are acting on the crate?

In addition to the force of gravity, there may also be a normal force and a frictional force acting on the crate. The normal force is perpendicular to the incline and prevents the crate from falling through it, while the frictional force opposes the motion of the crate.

5. What factors can affect the motion of the crate on the incline?

The motion of the crate on the incline can be affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the crate, and the coefficient of friction between the crate and the incline. The surface of the incline and any external forces, such as a push or pull, can also affect the motion of the crate.