How does a light wave change when travelling from water to air?

In summary, the question posed was about which variable does NOT change when a light wave travels from water to air. The intended answer was frequency, but upon further analysis, it was unclear whether amplitude also changes. The discussion delved into the concept of light as a wave and a particle, and it was concluded that amplitude may not be the best descriptor for a single photon. However, the students are familiar with the concept of energy/intensity vs. amplitude. The question is whether option C was ambiguous enough to be considered a correct answer. It was mentioned that wavelength and frequency are linearly related, and amplitude depends on interference in photons. Overall, it was determined that the amplitude should change as a consequence of EM boundary conditions.
misterc
I'm a high school physics teacher and this was a question posed to my Honors Physics class.

[Simplified]
A light wave travels from water to air. Which of the following variables does NOT change between the mediums?"
A. speed
B. wavelength
C. amplitude
D. frequency

I intended the answer to be frequency. But, upon further analysis, I couldn't give a good answer as to whether the amplitude changes or not. I was thinking in terms of classical waves (e.g. strings, sound, water). But, I specifically used a light wave. In perusing PF, I saw a previous thread discussing whether light as a photon has an amplitude. I'll admit the discussion got really deep, but the conclusion seemed to be that amplitude doesn't quite apply to a single photon, and for a light "wave", intensity would be a better descriptor. However, I did say amplitude.

The students know about energy/intensity vs. amplitude, but not really about light being wave and particle. They may be familiar with the concept though. My question is whether option C was ambiguous enough to warrant accepting it as an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wavelength and frequency are linearly related. Amplitude only depends on interference in photons, as far as I understand it.

To my knowledge, C would not be a correct answer. The amplitude does change.

The amplitude should change as a consequence of EM boundary conditions.

1. What is a "Final exam wave question"?

A "Final exam wave question" is a type of question that is commonly found on final exams in science courses. It usually requires students to demonstrate their understanding of a particular concept by applying it to a hypothetical scenario or problem.

2. How do I prepare for a "Final exam wave question"?

To prepare for a "Final exam wave question", it is important to review all the relevant concepts and equations that may be involved. Practice solving similar problems and make sure you understand the underlying principles. It may also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from your instructor.

3. Are "Final exam wave questions" challenging?

Yes, "Final exam wave questions" can be challenging as they often require students to think critically and apply their knowledge in a new and unfamiliar context. However, with proper preparation and understanding of the material, they can be successfully tackled.

4. Can I use a calculator on a "Final exam wave question"?

It depends on the specific exam and course guidelines. Some exams may allow the use of a calculator, while others may not. It is important to check with your instructor beforehand to know what is allowed and what is not.

5. How important is it to answer "Final exam wave questions" correctly?

Answering "Final exam wave questions" correctly is crucial as they often carry a significant weight in the overall exam grade. In addition, these types of questions are designed to test your understanding of key concepts, so it is important to demonstrate your knowledge and critical thinking skills in your answer.