How Does a Resistor Affect the Heating Time of Water?

In summary, the equation for evaporation is ##Q=Lm##. The author used this equation to calculate the amount of water evaporated. However, the equation is incorrect because it does not account for temperature.
archaic
Homework Statement
An electric water heater which is well-insulated warms 107 kg of water from 20.0°C to 45.0°C in 27.0 min.
Find the resistance (in Ω) of its heating element, which is connected across a 240 V potential difference.
How much additional time (in min) would it take the heater to raise the temperature of the water from 45.0°C to 100°C?
What would be the total amount of time (in min) required to evaporate all of the water in the heater starting from 20.0°C?
Relevant Equations
$$P=\frac{(\Delta V)^2}{R}=\frac{Q}{\Delta t}$$
1)$$R=\frac{\Delta t(\Delta V)^2}{Q}=\frac{\Delta t(\Delta V)^2}{mc\Delta T}=8.33\,\Omega$$2)$$\Delta t'=\frac{mcR\Delta T'}{(\Delta V)^2}=\frac{\Delta T'}{\Delta T}\Delta t=59.4\text{ min}$$3) I surfed the net a bit and have found a post on physics.stackexchange in which it is mentioned that the amount of water evaporated is related to the heat by ##Q=Lm##, where ##L=2.26\times10^6\,J/kg##. I used it to get$$P=\frac{(\Delta V)^2}{R}=\frac{dQ}{dt}=L\frac{dm}{dt}\Leftrightarrow\frac{(\Delta V)^2}{R}\Delta t=Lm\Leftrightarrow\Delta t=\frac{RLm}{(\Delta V)^2}$$but this surely is wrong (no taking account of the temperature, and gives a result less than the previous one). Any ideas please?
I really don't know much about thermodynamics.. I thought of ##Q=mc\Delta T## because it was shown in an example in the same chapter I am going through (Currents etc). :sorry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Not that I can see. Show the calculation (with units please). I believe the equation is correct.

hutchphd said:
Not that I can see. Show the calculation (with units please). I believe the equation is correct.
$$\Delta t=\frac{8.33[\frac{kg\,m^2}{s\,C^2}]\times107[kg]\times2.26\times10^6[J/kg=m^2/s^2]}{240^2[J^2/C^2=kg^2m^4/s^4]\times60[s/\text{min}]}=582.85\times\frac{kg\,m^2\,kg\,m^2\,C^2\,s^4\text{ min}}{s\,C^2\,s^2\,kg^2\,m^4\,s}$$I was wrong in my calculations earlier, but this is still wrong. The HW platform won't accept it (it wants it in minutes).

Seems reasonable to me. They want the " heat up" part too I think.

hutchphd said:
Seems reasonable to me. They want the " heat up" part too I think.
What bugs me is that the question says "starting from 20 degrees C", while my expression has no room for temperature.

Its two parts: heat the water to from 20 to 100C and then boil it!

hutchphd said:
Its two parts: heat the water to from 20 to 100C and then boil it!
where is my brain.. :nb)
thank you!

Likes hutchphd

What is water heating with a resistor?

Water heating with a resistor is a process in which a resistor is used to convert electrical energy into heat energy, which is then transferred to the water to increase its temperature.

How does water heating with a resistor work?

When an electrical current passes through a resistor, it encounters resistance, which causes the electrons to slow down and release energy in the form of heat. This heat is then transferred to the surrounding water, heating it up.

What are the advantages of using a resistor for water heating?

Using a resistor for water heating is more energy efficient compared to traditional methods such as gas or oil heating. It also allows for precise control of the water temperature and is a safer option as there is no open flame involved.

What are the limitations of water heating with a resistor?

One limitation is that the heating process can be slower compared to other methods, especially for larger volumes of water. Additionally, the resistor may need to be replaced over time due to wear and tear.

Can water heating with a resistor be used for all types of water?

Yes, water heating with a resistor can be used for all types of water, including tap water, well water, and even saltwater. However, the heating time may vary depending on the mineral content and impurities in the water.