How does a square shaped magnet act like a ring magnet?

In summary, the speaker is working on a magnetic levitron project and has borrowed a professional levitron to observe its workings. However, they noticed that instead of a ring magnet, the levitron contains a square shaped magnet which still acts like a ring magnet. The speaker provides images to illustrate the reactions of the magnet in different positions, with the middle section attracting and the sides repelling in two positions and the opposite in another. They then ask about the polarization of the base magnet, specifically the difference between a regular square shaped ceramic magnet and the one used in the levitron. The expert suggests that a stable magnet arrangement is important for a commercial product and mentions checking the average density of the magnets. They also explain that the
ardakaraca
Hi, I'm working with a magnetic levitron project and I've borrowed a professional levitron to see how it works. When I remove the back cap, unexpectedly I saw a square shaped magnet instead of ring magnet. But it acts like almost a ring magnet. I'll explain the difference with images below.

At first image green labels show the reactions of another ceramic magnet when magnet located like 2nd and 3rd image.(When the levitron is flipped like 2nd,3rd and 4th images middle section attracts and the sides repels)

At 2nd and 3rd images, middle section attracts and the sides repels.

At 4th image, middle section repels and the sides attracts.

Finally my question is how the base magnet(1st image) polarized?(I mean what is the difference between regular square shaped ceramic magnet and that one?)

http://ardaka.com/img/1.jpg http://ardaka.com/img/IMG_0744.JPG http://ardaka.com/img/IMG_0745.JPG http://ardaka.com/img/IMG_0746.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
For a commercial product, you want the magnet arrangement to be very stable. No matter how the magnets look internally, putting them in a square block is a good way to fix them.

You can check the average density. NdFeB magnets (and I guess you have those, but the values are not that different for other iron-based magnets) have a density of roughly 7.5 g/cm3. Is the average density of your block significantly lower?

There is no magnet configuration that would be stable against all possible motions of the magnets, so the arrangement guarantees stability against lateral motion only. Tilting is suppressed via the rotation of the magnet.

1. How is a square shaped magnet different from a ring magnet?

While both a square shaped magnet and a ring magnet have four sides, the main difference lies in their magnetic field. A square shaped magnet has a uniform magnetic field that is strongest at its poles, while a ring magnet has a non-uniform magnetic field that is strongest at its edges.

2. Can a square shaped magnet be used as a ring magnet?

Technically, yes. If a square shaped magnet is cut and rearranged into a circular shape, it can act like a ring magnet. However, it may not have the same strength and magnetic field as a true ring magnet.

3. How does a square shaped magnet create a magnetic field?

A square shaped magnet creates a magnetic field due to the alignment of its atoms. The magnetization process aligns the magnetic domains of the material, creating a north and south pole and a magnetic field around the magnet.

4. Can a square shaped magnet have more than one pole?

No, a square shaped magnet, just like any other magnet, can only have two poles - a north pole and a south pole. These poles cannot be separated or divided, unlike the four sides of a square.

5. How can a square shaped magnet act like a ring magnet?

A square shaped magnet can act like a ring magnet if it is magnetized in a specific way. By aligning the poles of the square magnet in a circular pattern, it can create a similar magnetic field to a ring magnet. However, the strength and uniformity of the magnetic field may be different from a true ring magnet.