How does increased conductivity affect voltage?

In summary: So technically, both voltage and resistance are affected by changes in conductivity, but in different ways.In summary, when the conductivity of a wire in a circuit is increased, it will have a small effect on the overall circuit due to the already high conductivity of wires. However, this increase can cause a change in the voltage drop across individual components, meaning both voltage and resistance are affected in different ways.
Mr Davis 97
If I have a certain circuit set up with a voltage V, then how does increased conductivity in the wire affect the voltage, or does it? I know that increased conductivity affects current, but if Ohm's law is to be true , voltage must increase or resistance must decrease. So which is it? Is voltage affected, or does resistance decrease?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
If I have a certain circuit set up with a voltage V, then how does increased conductivity in the wire affect the voltage, or does it? I know that increased conductivity affects current, but if Ohm's law is to be true , voltage must increase or resistance must decrease. So which is it? Is voltage affected, or does resistance decrease?
This is a bit of a garbled question. Typically, wires are so conductive that increased conductivity won't make any practical difference in a circuit but it will make a very small difference.

If you have an ideal power source, what would you expect the voltage to do if you increase the conductivity of the wire outside the power source?

The reason I say the post is garbled is you posit an increase in conductivity and then you ask if the resistance decreases. Do you understand the relationship between "conductivity" and "resistance" ?

phinds said:
This is a bit of a garbled question. Typically, wires are so conductive that increased conductivity won't make any practical difference in a circuit but it will make a very small difference.

The reason I say the post is garbled is you posit an increase in conductivity and then you ask if the resistance decreases. Do you understand the relationship between "conductivity" and "resistance" ?
I'm just asking how Ohm's law applies to this scenario. Just assume that the very small difference is significant for arguments sake. So would an increase i conductivity increase current and decrease resistance? Without voltage changing?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I'm just asking how Ohm's law applies to this scenario. Just assume that the very small difference is significant for arguments sake. So would an increase i conductivity increase current and decrease resistance? Without voltage changing?
You did not answer either of my questions.

phinds said:
You did not answer either of my questions.
For the first question, changing conductivity would not change the power supplied as that is a property of the power source itself. And I guess that I don't understand the relationship between conductivity and resistance, hence me asking this question.

Mr Davis 97 said:
For the first question, changing conductivity would not change the power supplied as that is a property of the power source itself. And I guess that I don't understand the relationship between conductivity and resistance, hence me asking this question.
Your first answer is wrong and your second answer is what I expected.

Taking "conductivity" and "resistance" first, these are just words that express the same thing but inversely. That is conductivity is just the reverse of resistance so if one goes one way the other obviously goes the other way.

Power out of a source is NOT a property of the source it is a function of what the source is hooked up to (up to the power limits of the source, at which time things do become dependent on both the source and the load).

You need to draw a simple circuit and ask a specific question about it. If you have a power source and a non-ideal wire hooking it to a single resistor, then if the conductivity of the wire goes up the resistance goes down which means the total resistance that the source is powering goes down (very slightly) so the current goes up.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Conductivity is the inverse of resistivity. They are properties of materials and not of the circuit.
Conductance is the inverse of resistance. These are properties of the circuit or elements of the circuit (resistors).

You cannot "change conductivity in the wire" unless you replace the wire with another, made from a different material.
Or if you change the temperature of the wire or by some other effects.

It is not clear what you actually ask. You need to explain more how did you come to this question.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Note that the voltage applied to the circuit as a whole does not change. When you alter the resistance of something in the circuit, it is the current that changes, not the voltage. However, what you may want to look into is the voltage drop across each component. That WILL change.

1. How does increased conductivity affect voltage?

Increased conductivity leads to a decrease in voltage. This is because as conductivity increases, the resistance decreases, allowing for more current to flow. According to Ohm's Law, V=IR, an increase in current (I) with a constant resistance (R) will result in a decrease in voltage (V).

2. Is there a direct relationship between conductivity and voltage?

No, there is an inverse relationship between conductivity and voltage. As conductivity increases, voltage decreases and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the conductivity of a material?

The conductivity of a material is affected by its composition, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects. Materials with a higher concentration of free electrons, lower temperature, and fewer impurities have higher conductivity.

4. How does increased conductivity affect the flow of electricity?

Increased conductivity allows for a higher flow of electricity, as there is less resistance to impede the movement of electrons. This is why materials with high conductivity, such as metals, are commonly used in electrical circuits.

5. Can increased conductivity damage electronic devices?

Yes, increased conductivity can potentially damage electronic devices if it causes an overload of current. This is why it is important to use materials with appropriate conductivity in electronic components to prevent damage.