How does adding neutrons to an atom change the atom?

In summary: You're asking about whether or not you can afford a new one.It would be a problem to afford a new textbook,since textbooks can cost anywhere from $50-$300+. It would also be a problem to do further reading into it,since that would also cost money.
innocentlittlegirl89
How does adding neutrons to an atom change the atom?

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't really change the atom as a whole,it may make its nucleus more massive and possibly radioactive.The structure of the electron shells remains the same...

Off-topic:How old are you?

Daniel.

I'm almost 16, you? Umm... I have a couple more questions if you don't mind. I'm studying for finals and I totally don't understand physics. What is an isotope and an ion? An example. What is ionization and how is the atomic number of an atom determined?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hannah o:)

Good thing you told me how old you are,i've had some rather embarassing moments talking to a HS kid and telling him very complicated matters from Quantum Physics...:rolleyes:

Do you have a textbook?You're asking about definitions and examples.Any normal book should have something like that.

Daniel.

I don't have a textbook. How old are you?

Why don't you have a textbook?

I lost it.

Thanks for the help. Good night.

innocentlittlegirl89 said:
I don't have a textbook. How old are you?

Then we got a problem.I can give you the definitions without any problem,but u'll have to promiss you'll do some further reading into it,okay...?Maybe a visit to the library,something needs to be done. :wink:

"What is an isotope and an ion? An example. What is ionization and how is the atomic number of an atom determined?"

A certain chemical element may have more than one isotopes,which means it can have more different types of nuclei,but all with the same electric charge (that is the same Z/atomic number).2 isotopes of the same chemical element differ only through their A/mass number,more precisely they have the same number of protons,but different number of neutrons.

Example:Chlorine has 2 natural isotopes:[itex] _{17}^{35} Cl \ ;_{17}^{37} Cl [/itex].As you can see,the number Z (of protons) is the same for both,17,while the mass number differs:the first has A=35,which means 35-17=18 neutrons,while the second has A=37,which means 37-17=20 neutrons.

An ion is an atom which is not electrically neutral.It either has lost or gained electrons.

THe Chlorine atom has 17 electrons.It can get an electron and with 17 protons and 18 electrons,it becomes a negative ion,with the net charge +17+(-18)=-1.

Ionization is the physical process through which an atom either loses or gains electrons (i.e.ionizes).

Daniel.

I lost it.

Cant you afford a new one?

Related to How does adding neutrons to an atom change the atom?

1. How does adding neutrons to an atom affect its mass?

Adding neutrons to an atom increases its mass. This is because neutrons have a mass of 1 atomic mass unit (amu), which contributes to the overall mass of the atom. The more neutrons that are added, the greater the mass of the atom will be.

2. How does adding neutrons to an atom affect its stability?

Adding neutrons to an atom can affect its stability in different ways. For some atoms, adding neutrons can make them more stable, as the neutrons can help balance out the positively charged protons in the nucleus. However, adding too many neutrons can make the atom unstable, leading to radioactive decay.

3. How does adding neutrons to an atom change its atomic number?

Adding neutrons to an atom does not change its atomic number. The atomic number of an atom is determined by the number of protons in its nucleus. Adding neutrons does not affect the number of protons, so the atomic number remains the same.

4. How do different isotopes of an element with varying numbers of neutrons behave differently?

Isotopes of an element with different numbers of neutrons can have different properties and behaviors. For example, some isotopes may be more stable, while others may be radioactive and undergo decay. Isotopes can also have different atomic masses and may react differently in chemical reactions.

5. How does the number of neutrons in an atom affect its chemical properties?

The number of neutrons in an atom can affect its chemical properties in different ways. For example, isotopes with different numbers of neutrons may have different physical properties, such as melting and boiling points. They may also react differently with other atoms and molecules, making them behave differently in chemical reactions.